Kevin Cary

The best posts to appear on DavidsonCats.Com.
Bill Cobb
Site Admin

Kevin Cary

Post by Bill Cobb » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:48 pm

Thanks to everyone for all of your kind words. You all have been so generous to me throughout the time I covered the team, and in the past season too. Today wasn't easy, but one thing made me smile.

I went back and printed out my stories from the Wildcats' NCAA tournament run. Reading them again reminded me just how much fun I had that week. It was the highlight of my 16-year career at the Observer, and getting to know the folks on this board helped make it such a great experience.

Davidson has a lot of things going for it. It is a great school with a great coach, but best of all, it has great people. You folks welcomed me - a UNCC grad - and made my job easier and one that I'll never forget.

I remember contributing to in-game threads during Curry's freshman year, when folks were scrambling just for a score in seemingly anonymous road games against Furman and The Citadel. I remember sitting on press row at Belk Arena when the only folks there were myself, Will Bryan, and Hill Overton. My, how things have changed.

And yet, they haven't. I can still walk into the Brickhouse after a game, and be greeted with a smile and a handshake. I took my girlfriend Lauren to a game this year - her first ever Davidson game - and by the end of the night, she understood. She understood why I worked on my days off to cover the team, and why covering this team was the job I had dreamed about since I was in college. (O.K., maybe back then I thought it would be UNCC, but hey, I can change...)

I just wanted to say thanks again to everyone. Yes, if you know of any job openings (especially in some kind of public relations) let me know. But if you just want to say hello, come find me on Facebook or send me a message on here. I'll be hanging around.

And why wouldn't I? I've gotten to taste one of the golden eras of Davidson basketball. But what I'll treasure the most are folks like you all. Good luck tonight against St. Mary's. For the first time, I can openly admit that I'll be pulling for the Wildcats too. :)
"I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter."
Crash Davis