New Category

The best posts to appear on DavidsonCats.Com.
stan

Post by stan » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:34 pm

Maybe some of the best of the articles last year (perhaps in their own thread). The USA Today spread in the fall, the NY Times piece before the dance, the Whitlock piece on how the world needs Davidson to beat Kansas, et al.

SwimAce

Post by SwimAce » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:23 pm

Could someone post that picture of Steph, which is in black and white with the phrase "We are All Witnesses" to the Hall of Fame section? I just got a new computer and need the image to set it on my desktop. Maybe we could accumulate a collection of them?
Davidson Alumnus - 2007

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:45 pm

"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

tennis08tarheels

Post by tennis08tarheels » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:29 am

SwimAce

Post by SwimAce » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:29 am

Thanks guys!
Davidson Alumnus - 2007

94cat

Post by 94cat » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:31 am

DC69Wildcat wrote:Image

Download it here:
http://lh3.ggpht.com/FishonJMB/SNMDSkF1 ... esDC2a.jpg
I actually put that together before last season. Funny to see it's still around. Somewhere on my computer, I think I've still got the larger version that would fill a desktop very well, if anybody wants it. PM me if you do.
"Tyreke Evans ... WON'T be the best player from his class. Such an honor applies to another gem playing in northern California -- Stephen Curry. "

Wildcat1017

Post by Wildcat1017 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:48 pm

On March 1, 2008, I bought a blank scrapbook from CVS to commemorate the season. 100 pages-- should be enough, I thought. Maybe we'll even win a first round game.
On March 23, 2008, I bought a second.
Around April 5, I bought a third.
By the time I showed them to Michael Kruse in mid-April, I had to carry them around in a big bag and spread them out over an entire table in the Union.
Needless to say, in the midst of all the articles and photos and my own reflections, they would be far from complete without in-game threads and giddy rejoicing/banter/haikus from this awesome board. So when I get home from my semester abroad, I will definitely add to the mayhem.

Ursa Midmajor

Post by Ursa Midmajor » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:45 pm

Wildcat1017 wrote:So when I get home from my semester abroad, I will definitely add to the mayhem.
Semi-serious question: Is there a decline in the number of students going abroad second semester this year?

Wildcat1017

Post by Wildcat1017 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:02 pm

Ursa Midmajor wrote: Semi-serious question: Is there a decline in the number of students going abroad second semester this year?
The majority of my friends are also abroad now. I know several who are gone for the entire year, but I can only think of four or five juniors leaving for the spring, and a couple of them are athletes with fall sports so they had no other option. I've heard that more people always go in fall than spring, but now there is definite incentive for being back in January, probably moreso than in years past (it certainly figured into my plans). So from my angled perspective, I would say yes, but I don't know the exact numbers.

MAINEiacCat71

Post by MAINEiacCat71 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:48 pm

Did anyone save the one about how JRich took the perfect shot? I am not sure I agreed at the time, but it was great writing.

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:57 pm

I assume you mean this one from Splinter Faction?

Some thoughts about the shot that didn't go in

I've seen some pictures of Stephen Curry since Sunday, and he has been smiling. I haven't seen any pictures of Jason Richards, but I hope he's smiling also. Because the last play of that great game was a very good play. It was probably the perfect play.

Jason had a good, clear shot, and Stephen did exactly the right thing to get the ball to him. I don't know as much about basketball as many people here, but I know that all this was just fine. It was in perfect harmony with this team's way of doing business, a way that got them to the regional finals. Some people who are new to all this may not know exactly what it means to play in the regional finals, but that game is, in my observation, the heart of the tournament.

I dont have the numbers in front of me, but I'm guessing Jason was somewhere in the 30 to 40 per cent range on three pointers in the tournament. The shot he took was a little beyond the line, so let's say it was a 30 per cent shot.

Three times out of ten, it goes it. Seven times it doesn't. Let's talk first about the seven. That's where Coach's emphasis on Trust comes into play. I can't take that shot, because I don't have the strength of character to take what happens if I miss. But Jason took the shot, because he had the nerve to do it, and I suspect, because he Trusted the coach and his teammates to continue to love him if he missed the shot. And maybe he had some sense that all the Davidson people, even all the general public, would also continue to love him if he missed. Subsequent events have proven that trust to be well-founded, and that is probably why all this is worth the amount of attention we have given it.

Now let's consider the three times the shot does go in. It is instantly the greatest moment in college basketball history. Christian Laettner's shot would be the equal in some ways, but essentially allowed an team to win a game it was reasonably expected to win. To do the same thing as such a clear underdog, to get a team to the FF for the first time, would be exponentially more dramatic.

The very fact that such a turn of events would have been so dramatic, so joyful for so many people, makes the sense of loss all the more painful, and consequently puts even more emphasis on the value of what Jason did in taking the place of Teddy Roosevelt's man in the arena who " fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." If I could meet Mr. Richards, I would simply shake his hand and thank him for doing this thing while wearing the name of our school on his jersey.

As a Southerner, I cannot help thinking about what Faulkner said in Intruder in the Dust:

For every Southern boy fourteen years old,
not once but whenever he wants it, there is
the instant when it's still not yet two o'clock
on that July afternoon in 1863... and it's all in
the balance, it hasn't happened yet, it hasn't
even begun yet... and that moment doesn't need
even a fourteen year old boy to think This time.
Maybe this time with all this much to lose and
all this much to gain.

I love that passage, and I think of it today because it captures the pregnancy of that moment when Jason's shot is in the air. Please God let it go in. That is not blasphemy because it is just what jumps into my heart and of course I know God doesn't care whether it goes in or not.

But in that moment, we had in our hearts and minds, proleptically I think the theologians would say, the joy of having it go in. Before it was not in, it was as good as in. For that fraction of a second, we had that experience, and it is enough. It is well worth the journey. At least for me it is, and I guess the ultimate point of this too-long post is that I hope it is also worth it for Jason. He took the shot. He gave us that moment. He trusted, and all we can do is be sure our reaction is worthy of that trust.

Our responsibility, if that's not putting it too boldly, is to be alert to the value of that moment, to cherish it and remember it. (Henry V one more time: "This story shall the good man teach his son.") Stan's brilliant post elsewhere says well some important things about Davidson. All those things are distilled in the fraction of a second that shot is in the air. They are in the reactions of the players, the coaches, the families, the fans. I have been amazed how many people were watching and truly seemed to care about what happened.

One wonders if we are too partisan, too fond of our own reputation, in our feelings about what happened in those four games. There is a danger of that, but if nothing else, the short attention span of the public (see the current issue of SI, which says almost nothing about the game) will keep us from going too far overboard.

But I choose to see the end of the Kansas game as one of the most wonderful things I have ever seen, one of the best experiences I have ever had, and I thank everybody who helped make it possible. I don't know why the fates of basketball couldn't have smiled on us one more time to let that shot go in. But they didn't. This is the experience we have been given to digest, and I'm increasingly convinced that it is as it should be.

Coach McKillop said it was about Trust. That goal was not missed.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

MAINEiacCat71

Post by MAINEiacCat71 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:04 am

That's it and my eyes went misty again. Thanks.

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:24 pm

I agree, this one is a Hall of Fame post. Cobb?

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:02 pm

I would like to nominate another HOF post from last season if we can find it: Reed's halftime prediction during the UNCG in-game thread.

Wildcat1017

Post by Wildcat1017 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:55 pm

Reed '74: Curry will go over 40 tonight and lead us to a comeback. G's 15 point halftime leads means they will lose by 5 instead of 20.

Hallelujah, crystal ball!