DavidsonCats.com Forum Index DavidsonCats.com
Discuss Davidson College Athletics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Davidson Picked Seventh in A10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Men's Basketball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichmondCat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Davidson Picked Seventh in A10 Reply with quote

Seventh Best Job that is.

Hope Bob McKillop doesn't see this and bolt for UMass.

https://watchstadium.com/news/atlantic-10-basketball-coaches-rank-the-best-jobs-in-the-conference-10-17-2018/
MLC67

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranking seem about right, with DU having the toughest admission standards in the Conference, but gave us only third best for tradition of program excellence behind both Dayton and St. Joes.

Esse Quam Videri
collegecoach8502

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
7. Davidson (64) – It’s now become known as the school that produced Steph Curry, but Davidson has played in 14 NCAA Tournaments. The hardest part is that the budget isn’t yet what it needs to be in the A-10, but it took a step up from the SoCon and will need to pour more resources to stay competitive.

Where they win: “The campus is beautiful, and so is the weather. It’s near Charlotte, and obviously they can sell Steph Curry. No one in the league is able to have a guy like Steph that they can sell.” – A-10 head coach

The knock: Davidson is still catching up in terms of resources after coming into the league from the SoCon a few years ago. While being the top academic school in the league can help, it also makes it more difficult to get kids into school … and keep them in.

Nice to note that we are dead last in budget support and all the other coaches recruiting against us know that.

"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."
BDL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would’ve put as at 6 but 7 is eminently fair, it’ll take time to bring the budget up where it needs to be. Also I’d much rather be a school where it’s incredibly hard to get kids admitted than a school (UMass) that “can get just about anyone who walks and chews gum into school.”
catnhat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They say it’s hard to keep kids. I disagree. The kids who come know what is expected of them. That’s part of why we have the highest (I think) retention and grad rate in the A10. We have fewer transfers out than just about anybody.
BDF

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catnhat wrote:
They say it’s hard to keep kids. I disagree. The kids who come know what is expected of them. That’s part of why we have the highest (I think) retention and grad rate in the A10. We have fewer transfers out than just about anybody.

It depends on how you look at it. If the question is “can you keep your kids eligible with them exerting little or no effort “ then , yes, it is very hard for Davidson to keep kids. I agree that we don’t have trouble keeping kids, but that is a testament to the kids we recruit and the standards we set for admission.
CatsUpNorth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BDF wrote:
catnhat wrote:

It depends on how you look at it. If the question is “can you keep your kids eligible with them exerting little or no effort “ then , yes, it is very hard for Davidson to keep kids. I agree that we don’t have trouble keeping kids, but that is a testament to the kids we recruit and the standards we set for admission.

Well said
stevelee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that was the part that didn't seem to have much to do with reality. If you are the sort of student who can get in in the first place, you're unlikely to do less than a minimum level of work needed to stay in.

Academic standards cut both ways in terms of recruiting. There are thousands of guys our coaches don't need to bother to look at. And smart kids should be able to grasp the plays more readily.
citycat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2014, we were ranked 14th in the A10 according to these criteria.

Although our admissions requirements are the most stringent in the A10, they allow us to compete with Stanford, Northwestern, and the best hoops programs in the Ivy League for recruits.
Steve Rodgers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevelee wrote:
Yep, that was the part that didn't seem to have much to do with reality. If you are the sort of student who can get in in the first place, you're unlikely to do less than a minimum level of work needed to stay in.

Academic standards cut both ways in terms of recruiting. There are thousands of guys our coaches don't need to bother to look at. And smart kids should be able to grasp the plays more readily.

Though I've found there is often little correlation between basketball smarts and academic smarts.
GoalCat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Rodgers wrote:
stevelee wrote:

Though I've found there is often little correlation between basketball smarts and academic smarts.

Yes, we had a new coach at Davidson that was fond of telling us that "for a bunch of supposedly smart guys, you sure play dumb". In the end, it became clear that he was deflecting, but CA's point is extremely valid for pretty much all sports.
stevelee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Rodgers wrote:
stevelee wrote:

My observed samples have been limited to DU players, who frequently do well at both. So that skews my viewpoint somewhat. And Bob is looking for coachable players who can get admitted, somewhat rarifying the cohort.
stevelee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoalCat wrote:
Yes, we had a new coach at Davidson that was fond of telling us that "for a bunch of supposedly smart guys, you sure play dumb". In the end, it became clear that he was deflecting, but CA's point is extremely valid for pretty much all sports.

Herr Crocker said that about his students in German class.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Men's Basketball All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: