DavidsonCats.com Forum Index DavidsonCats.com
Discuss Davidson College Athletics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Next Up: Practice
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Men's Basketball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildforthecats

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevelee wrote:
If as a teenager you maintain a detailed paper social calendar and save it for decades and compile lists of women you didn't rape at the time, that can help your memory. What it says about your credibility is left to the reader.

I remember going to a basketball game in Blacksburg, VA, when I was about 20, and I remember that Davidson lost, but I don't recall any other details of the game. I remember jokes that were told (including a bad German pun I made) on the ride up in a green Mustang, and I remember that at supper before the game I had anchovies on pizza for the first time in my life.

3/7/66 Davidson beat Rhode Island in Blacksburg.
Steve Rodgers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Memory Reply with quote

rbarney wrote:
This begins to remind me of the discussion surrounding a certain Supreme Court nominee. Who can remember what, and how much of that memory is actually accurate. I know from the discussion I had a while back with a friend regarding a mutual experience of 50 years ago that time can totally scramble memories.

Funny I was thinking the same thing. All that's left is snippets of memory and you're not even sure if it's real. I "remember" scoring the winning basket in the first scrimmage, a short jumper form the right side of the lane with Gadaire guarding me. If somebody found a film that showed Larry Horowitz shooting the winning basket over Pig while I stood on the right side of the lane I wouldn't be shocked.
MLC67

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Pat Conroy's memoir, My Losing Season, he remembers just about every play of every game he played for the Citadel his senior year. Often, guys remember every detail of sporting events in which they participated; that maybe an over generalization, but it is true for me, one DC scrimmage included.

Esse Quam Videri
wildforthecats

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m at practice. Team taking a break to watch film.
stevelee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildforthecats wrote:
stevelee wrote:
If as a teenager you maintain a detailed paper social calendar and save it for decades and compile lists of women you didn't rape at the time, that can help your memory. What it says about your credibility is left to the reader.

I remember going to a basketball game in Blacksburg, VA, when I was about 20, and I remember that Davidson lost, but I don't recall any other details of the game. I remember jokes that were told (including a bad German pun I made) on the ride up in a green Mustang, and I remember that at supper before the game I had anchovies on pizza for the first time in my life.

So I didn't even remember the game correctly. But the anchovies were good. And I was almost seven months away from turning 20. Still, that sounds like I had had a very sheltered existence, at least in terms of pizza.
RichmondCat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildforthecats wrote:

Was it a screening of Warhol’s Empire?
BDL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article219039170.html

Great article by David Scott. Sounds like the starting lineup will be Grady, JAG, Frampton, KP, and Dusan/Ekwu. The article also pretty clearly states that all the true freshmen will get some run this season.
BDF

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevelee wrote:
wildforthecats wrote:
stevelee wrote:

So I didn't even remember the game correctly. But the anchovies were good. And I was almost seven months away from turning 20. Still, that sounds like I had had a very sheltered existence, at least in terms of pizza.

With what we know about memory, it is very possible you did not have anchovies on that pizza. Sometimes our most vivid memories are false ones,
MrMac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevelee wrote:
wildforthecats wrote:
stevelee wrote:

I am still sheltering myself from that experience.
stevelee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BDF wrote:
it is very possible you did not have anchovies on that pizza.

Conceivable, but very unlikely. I may not know much or remember much about basketball, but I am very unlikely to make a mistake about pizza.

It was not the first time I ate anchovies; just the first time on pizza. The hot cheese burned my mouth somewhat, and that seemed to make the experience a bit more intense. Most people don't forget their first time.

Before Lefty opened his place, my eating pizza away from home was pretty much limited to the Rathskeller in Chapel Hill, the Open Kitchen in Charlotte, and the one time in Blacksburg. Not long thereafter I was eating occasionally at the original Pizza Inn, which was located on the other side of the street from the headquarters of Dr. Pepper.
MikeMaloy15

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who could have guessed that a bunch of old guys would take the position that memories can be inaccurate?
wildforthecats

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichmondCat wrote:
wildforthecats wrote:

Chariots of Fire. Nate was running up and down the court nicely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSav51fVlKU
mccabemi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildforthecats wrote:
RichmondCat wrote:
wildforthecats wrote:

Chariots of Fire. Nate was running up and down the court nicely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSav51fVlKU

Now that's a lap of thinking I can get behind.
stevelee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeMaloy15 wrote:
Who could have guessed that a bunch of old guys would take the position that memories can be inaccurate?

Long term vs. short term.

In our men’s bridge group it is not uncommon right after the deal for someone to ask, “Who dealt.” Often that is asked by the dealer.
MLC67

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wftc: Were there any sightings of Carter Collins at practice? As he has such explosion and jump, I am hoping for major contributions by CC this season. Do you also foresee big things for this most athletic of our young Cats?

Esse Quam Videri
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Men's Basketball All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: