DavidsonCats.com Forum Index DavidsonCats.com
Discuss Davidson College Athletics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

US News and World Report likes your college
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Men's Basketball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevelee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twelve or so years ago I was about to write my annual check to SMU. I had recently received two letters from them that I hadn't yet opened, so I got them to get the form and envelope out to send the check in. By chance I opened the one first that made me decide not to open the other one and mail a check.

I did send another contribution one year, but they never cashed it, so I never bothered again.
jamesdhogan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mccabemi wrote:
jamesdhogan wrote:
dorp wrote:
Doesn't Davidson lower the denominator for alumni giving percentage if an alum simply says they no longer want to be contacted? Easy way to boost the percentage.

I can't comment about current practices, but the denominator is acceptably defined as viable, solicitable alumni. If you're not viable (read: dead), or you've explicitly said solicitations from the college are unwelcome (read: Do Not Call), then it's a common occurrence to drop you from the denominator.

There are other liberties to be taken with denominators that Davidson opts not to take. And no matter what, the sheer numbers of alumni donors in each year's ranks are something to be enormously proud of.

Johns Hopkins used to call me every year. Every year, I would tell them I would never give. Over time, I began to go on polite 30 second rants about how they were wasting their time and that they should not contact me. After the fifth year of ranting, one of the college students asked, “would you like to be placed on the do not call list?” To which I responded, “yes.”

I guess I didn’t use the magic words.

Right. And JHU might have a policy of calling you a handful of times before it strikes you from the list. I would occasionally run across people in my time at Davidson who had once told someone somewhere never to call again--and they were wondering why they didn't ever hear anything from Davidson. Or people would opt back in after taking time off from giving.

Above all, thanks for being kind to the (oftentimes) student on the other end of the line. Technology is increasingly helping reshape annual fund work, which is really about volume. Many annual donors need a prompt to give--or a second, or a third, or a seventh prompt. That takes a lot of hours of smiling and dialing. Sometimes the next call is one too many for whomever happens to be next on the list. Those student callers typically only hear the "click" of the landmine after they've stepped on it.
Your grace was hopefully appreciated.
stevelee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was dropped from the alumni rolls in the late '70s, though not at my request, probably the president's.

In the mid-80s they caught back up with me, and in an odd turn of events there was briefly a scholarship fund named for me. That was quite a turnaround in good graces. Long, but not very interesting stories.

I haven't had anybody call me from Davidson for many years about giving. I make five-year pledges to some project or another for class gifts, and had an overlap with my Vance Center pledge. So I just write a check in June and send a letter to designate whatever else I'm wanting to support that year. So if you don't want the calls, that's a handy way not to get them.
mccabemi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give every year to Davidson. I used to get mailers to which I would never reply. Not once. I'd just wait until I got a call; I like humans, I guess. It was usually as the fiscal year came to an end. Now I give on the national giving day- or whatever it is called. I think once I called into the hotline hoping I'd get to talk to Bob. This year I just did it electronically.

Its funny that I don't think I've ever been asked how I prefer to be contacted. I feel like I could save folks some resources-- if they were so inclined to save some.
mccabemi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My niece is a freshman at Davidson this year. A few hours before they posted admissions decisions back in March or April, someone gave me a call to let me know she had gotten in. They asked that I not tell her; an ethical dilemma of fierce proportions. One thing Davidson will never have to worry about, however, is whether or not I will ever give. Had there ever been doubt before, it was completely eliminated in that moment. Given that I don't expect my own children will get to go to Davidson- or be able to afford to go to Davidson- I suspect that there are very few slights that could change my mind.
jamesdhogan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mccabemi wrote:
Its funny that I don't think I've ever been asked how I prefer to be contacted. I feel like I could save folks some resources-- if they were so inclined to save some.

I think it's a great idea--and you're right, it saves resources. Coincidentally, phone calls and direct mail pieces are probably equally expensive, especially if you pick up the phone call and actually talk to the person calling (which takes more time). It took about two minutes to make a phone call, and slightly longer if you had to wait a long time on the message. (We get it, leave our name and phone number and you'll call us back.) Nonetheless, your point is a good one. No need for a mailer AND a phone call if only one is necessary.

Email is virtually free, and text messaging is getting cheaper, which is why all of those channels are overwhelmed with signal noise. But it's always nice to hear a human voice.
BDF

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between political campaigns and college recruitment, I’ve concluded that if you can build a better “direct mail,” the world will beat a path to your door.
dorp

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mccabemi wrote:
I feel like I could save folks some resources-- if they were so inclined to save some.

Not long after I began school, we started receiving three copies of the Davidson Journal. This did not make my father happy, as he was sending in tuition checks.
wildforthecats

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dorp wrote:
mccabemi wrote:
I feel like I could save folks some resources-- if they were so inclined to save some.

Not long after I began school, we started receiving three copies of the Davidson Journal. This did not make my father happy, as he was sending in tuition checks.

Long live paper!!!
Steve Rodgers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildforthecats wrote:
dorp wrote:
mccabemi wrote:

Long live paper!!!

He says without apparent irony on an internet site.
wildforthecats

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Rodgers wrote:
wildforthecats wrote:
dorp wrote:
mccabemi wrote:

Long live paper!!!

He says without apparent irony on an internet site.

I print out every post I make. Almost 18,000 pages. Cool
Dr. Bliss

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildforthecats wrote:
dorp wrote:
mccabemi wrote:

Long live paper!!!

Charmin extra-strong is my preference.
wildforthecats

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bliss wrote:
wildforthecats wrote:
dorp wrote:
mccabemi wrote:

Long live paper!!!

Charmin extra-strong is my preference.

You remind me of Mr Whipple.
MikeMaloy15

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, that's a classmate.
stevelee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another sign of our paperless society: In the mail today I received two letters from the Office of Donor Relations, from two different people.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Men's Basketball All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: