I hope y’all will read this....

2012 SoCon Regular Season Champs!
jamesdhogan

I hope y’all will read this....

Post by jamesdhogan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:49 pm

Amanda Ottoway is publishing a book on life after DI basketball and I think it’s going to be a great read. Preorder here: https://www.amandaottaway.com/purchase/
The artist formerly known as Freehold.

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:06 pm

I can't wait to read it. An academic press published it. Interesting.
About the Book
Unlike the stories of most visible Division I college athletes, Amanda Ottaway’s story has more in common with those of the 80 percent of college athletes who are never seen on TV. The Rebounders follows the college career of an average NCAA Division I women’s basketball player in the twenty-first century, beginning with the recruiting process when Ottaway is an eager, naive teenager and ending when she’s a more contemplative twentysomething alumna.

Ottaway’s story, along with the journeys of her dynamic Wildcat teammates at Davidson College in North Carolina, covers in engaging detail the life of a mid-major athlete: recruitment, the preseason, body image and eating disorders, schoolwork, family relationships, practice, love life, team travel, game day, injuries, drug and alcohol use, coaching changes, and what comes after the very last game. In addition to the everyday issues of being a student athlete, The Rebounders also covers the objectification of female athletes, race, sexuality, and self-expression.

Most college athletes, famous or not, play hard, get hurt, fail, and triumph together in a profound love of their sport and one another, and then their careers end and they figure out how to move on. From concussions and minor injuries to classrooms, parties, and relationships, Ottaway understands the experience of a Division I women’s basketball player firsthand. The Rebounders is, at its core, a feminist coming-of-age story, an exploration of what it means to be a young woman who loves a sport and is on a course of self-discovery through that medium.
http://www.nebraskapress.unl.edu/univer ... 803296848/

The cover photo from the book is also the cover photo of the U Nebraska Press Spring catalog.

Some sections of the books available on google books.
The earth is round. Two plus two equals four.

~Tip well.

MaxCat

I hope y'all read

Post by MaxCat » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:36 am

Amanda was...is...a very intelligent thoughtful young lady. In many ways a solid representive of the type lady student/athlete Davidson women's basketball recruits. i would think this should be a must read for fans of Davidson men's or women's basketball.

MaxCat

I hope y'all read

Post by MaxCat » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:37 am

Amanda was...is...a very intelligent thoughtful young lady. In many ways a solid representive of the type lady student/athlete Davidson women's basketball recruits. i would think this should be a must read for fans of Davidson men's or women's basketball.

jamesdhogan

Post by jamesdhogan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:01 pm

I'd agree. Just reading through her blog notes from visiting teammates around the country, I was incredibly impressed with her voice, her ability to bring out discerning ideas from her subjects, and her grace in juxtaposing them into a compelling narrative.

We shouldn't be too surprised--she's a Davidson grad. :)

Truthfully, I wanted to post this in the Men's Basketball thread to get more eyeballs, but I think the entire point is that we don't do that. Because women are held to a different standard when it comes to varsity athletics, and putting this post there would only glaze the whole thing in irony.
The artist formerly known as Freehold.

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:33 pm

Because women are held to a different standard when it comes to varsity athletics, and putting this post there would only glaze the whole thing in irony.
Really?

~Tip well.

citycat

Post by citycat » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:41 pm

If the book will be in print by 2/21/18, Amanda could come to Davidson for book signings at the men's game on 2/21 and the women's game on 2/24.

She can go to Charlotte, the Triad, and Triangle for signings on the 22nd and 23rd.

A picture of Amanda with President Quillen and Bob McKillop would be a boon to sales.

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:59 pm

Her agent might consider readings and a booth in Columbus at NCAA women’s final four.

~Tip well.

graveline

Post by graveline » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:47 pm

What class year is she?
If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said it

chantillycat

Post by chantillycat » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:01 pm

"... coming out of the murky, dreary jungle of untutored mediocrity."

mdickensdc

Amanda's Book

Post by mdickensdc » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:22 pm

I ordered Amanda’s book on Amazon. Got it yesterday and finished it today. A very good read. She has the gift. There were a number of passages that demonstrate just how lucky Davidson is and has been to have Bob McKillop as its coach and as one of the most important leaders on campus.

Maybe with this new coach the women’s program can have some of the success the men have enjoyed. The players deserve it and the school and Alums would love it.

I am sure Amanda would love the support of Davidson grads young and old buying her book. It is a great read. Esp for young women going through the process of loving a sport and trying to figure out how sports and team mates fit into their lives.

Below are links to two articles that Amanda has written in the last 4 years.

http://www.charlottemagazine.com/Charlo ... -He-Looks/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sol ... 77f4954ce3

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:45 am

About to be added to the collection of the largest public university library in the world. https://vufind.carli.illinois.edu/all/v ... d/17215605

~Tip well.

collegecoach8502

Re: Amanda's Book

Post by collegecoach8502 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:25 pm

mdickensdc wrote:I ordered Amanda’s book on Amazon. Got it yesterday and finished it today. A very good read. She has the gift. There were a number of passages that demonstrate just how lucky Davidson is and has been to have Bob McKillop as its coach and as one of the most important leaders on campus.

Maybe with this new coach the women’s program can have some of the success the men have enjoyed. The players deserve it and the school and Alums would love it.

I am sure Amanda would love the support of Davidson grads young and old buying her book. It is a great read. Esp for young women going through the process of loving a sport and trying to figure out how sports and team mates fit into their lives.

Below are links to two articles that Amanda has written in the last 4 years.

http://www.charlottemagazine.com/Charlo ... -He-Looks/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sol ... 77f4954ce3
I only read books with lots of pictures :)
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:01 pm

Waitress wrote:About to be added to the collection of the largest public university library in the world. https://vufind.carli.illinois.edu/all/v ... d/17215605
I love it when people use their powers for good.
she/hers

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:03 pm

Just ordered two copies: one for my niece, a high school senior hoping to be a D1 cheerleader at a tough university, and one for me.
she/hers