New AD

A place to discuss topics which impact all of Davidson's sports
Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:06 pm

Theoretically, wouldn't there be some rule against a father directly supervising his son?

Seems awkward, at least.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:17 pm

Dr. Bliss wrote:Theoretically, wouldn't there be some rule against a father directly supervising his son?

Seems awkward, at least.
Isn't that what's happening now though?
she/hers

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:22 pm

While I agree that McKillop would make a great AD (or president), I think we're better off with him in his current role. As Coach, he's the most recognizable face of Davidson College. Every college basketball fan in the country, and half of those outside the country, know who he is--and they know him because of how well he represents us. We need to capitalize on his well-earned fame as long as we can.

Nobody knows who anybody's AD is until there's a scandal.
she/hers

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:24 pm

slowcat95 wrote:
Dr. Bliss wrote:Theoretically, wouldn't there be some rule against a father directly supervising his son?

Seems awkward, at least.
Isn't that what's happening now though?
Well, yeah. Big difference of scale, though.

Just wondering if there are other examples out there of this? Anybody think of any? Speaking specifically of AD-HC examples. I know there are quite a few instances of HC-Assistant Coach.

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:26 pm

If Bob left HC to be AD, wouldn't there be a big pay cut?

citycat

Post by citycat » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:28 pm

Coach Abell has hired his son as an assistant coach, which is great. His son recently graduated from Richmond and one would expect him to stay longer than most assistant coaches.

At Duke, Coach K's sons-in-law have fancy titles and work in non-coaching positions in the basketball program. One is nominally in charge of scheduling.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:47 pm

Lebron wrote:If Bob was to become AD which I think is a very slim possibility then we would need a new BBall Coach. I love Matt but we need someone with HC experience and the two that fit immediately are Jason Zimmerman (Emory) and Matt Matheny (Elon). Those are the guys we need leading the program.
Choosing between Matt Matheny and Matt McKillop, I'd go with Matt McKillop. If we are looking for a basketball coach and want an alum with HC experience, Landry and JZ should be at the top of the list. But, thankfully, we aren't HC shopping.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

Dan the Tuba Man'15

Post by Dan the Tuba Man'15 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:45 pm

In probably in the minority in this but I really hope we do not transition directly to Matt Mckillop. I just think it puts both him and the school in a really rough place if he were to struggle a bit the first few season (as any new head coach might do). I would much prefer that he gets a differnt head coaching gig first and hope we can bring him in down the road.

TiredCat88

Post by TiredCat88 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:38 pm

You can all rest easy. First, Bob doesn't want the job. Second, they wouldn't hire him.

BDL

Post by BDL » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:49 pm

TiredCat88 wrote:You can all rest easy. First, Bob doesn't want the job. Second, they wouldn't hire him.
Thank god, we need Coach McKillop where he is now. These next few years are critical; this is when we build the base for consistent, annual NCAA Tournament bids level success for the next decade or so (a la VCU or Dayton).

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:03 am

Bob's interview tonight bubbled over with how much fun he is having right now.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Mon May 07, 2018 1:31 pm

Does anyone have any updates on the status of our search?
Sit vis nobiscum

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Mon May 07, 2018 1:35 pm

Derek Smith wrote:Does anyone have any updates on the status of our search?
I heard on 4/21 that we were down to a short list. Don't know any of the names however.

citycat

Post by citycat » Mon May 07, 2018 1:58 pm

My recollection is that Ed Kania was leaving to go to Rollins in June. Jim Murphy moves to Kania's position then. Knowing Davidson, they will not want to pay 2 people to do the same job. The new AD will be announced at the time s/he has to give notice at her/his current position.

There doesn't need to be any overlap because Jim will be around to answer any questions the new AD might have.

TiredCat88

Post by TiredCat88 » Mon May 07, 2018 8:40 pm

citycat wrote:My recollection is that Ed Kania was leaving to go to Rollins in June. Jim Murphy moves to Kania's position then. Knowing Davidson, they will not want to pay 2 people to do the same job. The new AD will be announced at the time s/he has to give notice at her/his current position.

There doesn't need to be any overlap because Jim will be around to answer any questions the new AD might have.
That's news to me....Jim isn't moving to Ed's position.