DavidsonCats.com Forum Index DavidsonCats.com
Discuss Davidson College Athletics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New AD
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Davidson sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AtlCatFan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: New AD Reply with quote

Looks like Jim Murphy will take a new role in Davidson athletics.

Davidson will be looking for a new AD for July 2018.

http://www.davidsonwildcats.com/news/2018/2/5/general-murphy-to-take-on-new-role-advising-on-finance-and-operations.aspx?path=gen

Who are some front runners?
catnhat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we want someone who loves DC, has successful athletic experience, and has successful administrative experience, we could do much worse than Charlie Slagle.
TheRealMcG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernie Reigel
SandyCarnegie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: AD Reply with quote

Guys the absolute best AD and ambassador for DC in in your front yard... Bob McKillop. To go elsewhere would be insane. Nobody knows DC and athletics at DC like McKillop.
i77cat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either of those last two choices would be awesome.
SandyCarnegie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: AD Reply with quote

It really needs to be one who has fought in the trenches and lived how DC handles athletics. It need to be someone who is willing to fight hard and champion athletics. We have a lot of folks who cover us on the academic side so I would like someone who covers the athletics side.
I am sure we will appoint a committee and “study” the position, take a lot of applications and conduct a lot of interviews.
If McKillop wants it, give it to him. I would challenge anyone to produce a better candidate for the job. Knowledge, work ethic, national reputation and a great person. Enough said.
stevelee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: AD Reply with quote

SandyCarnegie wrote:
It really needs to be one who has fought in the trenches and lived how DC handles athletics. It need to be someone who is willing to fight hard and champion athletics. We have a lot of folks who cover us on the academic side so I would like someone who covers the athletics side.
I am sure we will appoint a committee and “study” the position, take a lot of applications and conduct a lot of interviews.
If McKillop wants it, give it to him. I would challenge anyone to produce a better candidate for the job. Knowledge, work ethic, national reputation and a great person. Enough said.

Do you have a better candidate for head basketball coach?

Perhaps of the two positions, AD is more important in the really long run. For right now, though, I prefer to have the better person as the men's basketball head coach. That may be more of a geriatric perspective, I admit.
i77cat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that if Bob McKillop wants the AD slot, it would mean that he thinks Matt McKillop is ready to take the head coach job. I think that would be a great situation for our team.
BDL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i77cat wrote:
I assume that if Bob McKillop wants the AD slot, it would mean that he thinks Matt McKillop is ready to take the head coach job. I think that would be a great situation for our team.

Matt WILL be a great coach but he has only 10 years of coaching experience and 2 years of experience as the associate head coach; he needs some more time.
i77cat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree. I think he'd be very good right now. But what matters in this line of speculation is what Bob thinks. He'll make the right decisions for himself, his family, and his team. TCC.
BDL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i77cat wrote:
I disagree. I think he'd be very good right now. But what matters in this line of speculation is what Bob thinks. He'll make the right decisions for himself, his family, and his team. TCC.

I respect your opinion and in no way am I trying to criticize Matt McKillop (in fact I think he'll make a great coach). However, being a head coach is incredibly hard and many more fail at it than succeed at a high level. Most guys spend over 10 years as head assistants before they even get a shot at a program around Davidson's level.
stevelee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not be surprised if Bob is of the opinion that Matt needs some head coach experience somewhere else before he comes back here.

I have no idea, of course. And I won't expect of anybody a lot of objectivity in terms of one's son.

I could also see why he would be loathe to be without his help as associate right now.
WildCock

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are AD and BB coach mutually exclusive? I can recall many instances of an AD also being a head coach.
dorp

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildCock wrote:
Are AD and BB coach mutually exclusive? I can recall many instances of an AD also being a head coach.

Barry Alvarez is one example, at a slightly larger institution.
Lebron

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Bob was to become AD which I think is a very slim possibility then we would need a new BBall Coach. I love Matt but we need someone with HC experience and the two that fit immediately are Jason Zimmerman (Emory) and Matt Matheny (Elon). Those are the guys we need leading the program.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Davidson sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: