DavidsonCats.com Forum Index DavidsonCats.com
Discuss Davidson College Athletics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Direction
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Women's Basketball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek Smith

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: New Direction Reply with quote

Michele Savage Dismissed as Head Women’s Basketball Coach

DAVIDSON, N.C. – Michele Savage has been dismissed as the head women’s basketball coach at Davidson College, as announced Wednesday by Director of Athletics Jim Murphy.

Savage joined Davidson as the head coach in 2010 after coaching stints with Tulane, Cornell, Toledo and Chicago State. During her tenure, the Wildcats posted an overall mark of 96-123, including a 62-64 (10-38 A-10) record in conference play.

“We very much appreciate Michele for her dedication and commitment to Davidson College and our student-athletes,” said Murphy. “I wish Coach Savage and her staff great success going forward.”

A national search for the next head women’s basketball coach will begin immediately.
rbarney

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Women's coach Reply with quote

In the past three years, we moved up from fourteenth to thirteenth to twelfth (when the men's team finished ninth). Are we too impatient? It seems like the gaps in quality in Women's Division I NCAA basketball make it extremely difficult to recruit the female equivalents of Jack Gibbs or Peyton Aldridge to a school like Davidson. With injury problems this year and a sophomore named as most improved in the A10, it seems like better things might have been ahead. However, I would have to leave it to those closer to the program to judge Coach Savage's overall performance.
catborn'bred

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always difficult when someone loses a job. I hope that Jennifer Roos, member of DC Hall of Fame, will apply. While she had a rough year this year at Bowling Green her overall coaching record is very good.
citycat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our RPI is 277. The only team with a worse RPI in the SoCon is WCU at 279. Moving to a better, more visible conference did not help our recruiting.

We had one player who missed more than 2 games with injuries. That player shot below the team average in FG %, 3 point %, and FT %. Losing one player is not an abnormally high rate of injury. She was not our best player. For some reason, our 3 lowest scorers started 54 games among them. We struggled to score and defend, so they were not 3 distaff Maxes.

We had only 11 players on the team. We had no walk-ons. There were at least 2 scholarships that could have been given to players who could have helped us.

We have hired 3 coaches for the women's program since '92 and all have been terminated. We have never been to the NCAA Women's Tournament. We need to try something different.

Let's hire a "name coach", someone who has played for a top NCAA program. We also need a coach who can secure games against the best programs in the region: USC, Duke, and UNC (I'm going back a little bit.). Play road games for the $ and use that money to buy home games against well known teams. We must raise the visibility of the program.

Our women were 3-13 in the A10 this year. The men were 8-10. It is misleading to say one was 12th and the other was 9th. as if they were equivalent or close in the relative standings.

If the women had finished 7-9 in the A10 (because the women only play 16 games), we would not be having this discussion.

Jennifer Roos would be a good candidate. A Davidson grad should be able to promote our virtues, which could make Davidson a better women's program than men's.
oldcat62

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

citycat wrote:
Our RPI is 277. The only team with a worse RPI in the SoCon is WCU at 279. Moving to a better, more visible conference did not help our recruiting.

We had one player who missed more than 2 games with injuries. That player shot below the team average in FG %, 3 point %, and FT %. Losing one player is not an abnormally high rate of injury. She was not our best player. For some reason, our 3 lowest scorers started 54 games among them. We struggled to score and defend, so they were not 3 distaff Maxes.

We had only 11 players on the team. We had no walk-ons. There were at least 2 scholarships that could have been given to players who could have helped us.

We have hired 3 coaches for the women's program since '92 and all have been terminated. We have never been to the NCAA Women's Tournament. We need to try something different.

Let's hire a "name coach", someone who has played for a top NCAA program. We also need a coach who can secure games against the best programs in the region: USC, Duke, and UNC (I'm going back a little bit.). Play road games for the $ and use that money to buy home games against well known teams. We must raise the visibility of the program.

Our women were 3-13 in the A10 this year. The men were 8-10. It is misleading to say one was 12th and the other was 9th. as if they were equivalent or close in the relative standings.

If the women had finished 7-9 in the A10 (because the women only play 16 games), we would not be having this discussion.

Jennifer Roos would be a good candidate. A Davidson grad should be able to promote our virtues, which could make Davidson a better women's program than men's.

For starters would Davidson be able to match Roos's compensation? NCAA statistics show she made $269,960 including speaking fees, deferred compensation and memberships in 2014-15.
Derek Smith

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you think our budget for salary will be?
gopher49

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Smith wrote:
what do you think our budget for salary will be?

I sure have no idea about the numbers, but I hope that we will budget at a level that will attract someone with good experience, including roots in a top quality women's program.
I wish Coach Savage well, but it had seemed to me for a time that her best seasons came while she was coaching players whom she inherited
oldcat62

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some perspective in 2014

Quillen 380,887
McKillop 245,691 + bonus 81,000
Clark Ross 282,000
Eileen Kelley 220,842
Murphy 216,016
Ed Kania 215,689
ChantillyCat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It didn't take long for someone to update Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_NCAA_Division_I_women's_basketball_coaches

I think it was 4-12, city. Not that I kept track or anything.
Waitress

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2015 990

Tip well.
i77cat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“I wish Coach Savage and her staff..." Canned the whole crew? I hope we attract some good candidates.
“What LeBron has done is spectacular, not just as a basketball player but as a human being. On the business level. And as a positive force for good. He is an intergalactic force for good.”--Bill Walton
citycat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct I'm sure, chantilly. I looked at warrennolan.com and focused on the 13 and not the first #.

That means we had one less non-conference win.

Those salaries and total compensation from the 990 Form are impressive. School superintendents make amazing salaries, too.
Waitress

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

citycat wrote:
Those salaries and total compensation from the 990 Form are impressive. School superintendents make amazing salaries, too.
Lower that our academic peers, and A10 hoops coaches (by half).

Tip well.
ChantillyCat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i77cat wrote:
Canned the whole crew?

http://www.davidsonwildcats.com/roster.aspx?path=wbball

Only Kira Mowen remains on this page.

Why is Diona Johnson on the 2017-18 roster? Is she coming back?
stevelee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i77cat wrote:
“I wish Coach Savage and her staff..." Canned the whole crew? I hope we attract some good candidates.

Don't coaches hire their own staff? Even if not formally terminated, they know they're gone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Women's Basketball All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: