Conference summary

A place to discuss topics which impact all of Davidson's sports
dorp

Post by dorp » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:11 am

i77cat wrote:
TiredCat88 wrote:
oldcat62 wrote:I agree with some of these comments relative to conference affiliation.

My question is "What made you think that moving to the A-10 made sense for any sport but men's basketball?"
Because our President and Athletic Director stood at a podium in front of staff, athletes, alums and press and said that we would make this move for more than just basketball and they would elevate our sports to be competitive in the A10.

Outside of using the additional money from being in the A10 to cover our increased travel, where have we significantly increased scholarships? None of the sports, in fact, we are below the amount in scholarships in almost all of our sports than we were 5 years ago. How many new full time assistant positions have been added to get us near our competitors and closer to the NCAA limits? I believe other than men's basketball - none.
Some people may have fallen for that, TiredCat. But I know you didn't.
"The Davidson community has, for generations, worked hard to create a culture of integrity and to hold each other accountable."

citycat

Post by citycat » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:30 am

The event in the Triad is 2/27/17 at the Proximity Hotel in Greensboro. Maybe it will address the need for increased funding for athletic scholarships, in an understated way.

If the College is serious about raising money for athletic scholarships, why not have a campaign with Coach McKillop, Charlie Slagle, Terry Holland, and other former coaches and athletes attending and making the case for the money? I've heard Slagle speak and his stories about his experience as a student athlete and coach at Davidson are riveting.

The appeal needs to emphasize that increasing athletic scholarships will relieve stress on the Davidson Trust. Every $ of athletic aid an middle class athlete receives is less financial need s/he has that must be met by the Trust.

PS. The Greensboro Event is being hosted in part by Mackey McDonald, the former Chairman/CEO of VF, aka Wrangler, the hugely successful clothing company which is headquartered in Greensboro.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:41 pm

Proximity is a nice hotel.

citycat

Post by citycat » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:02 pm

It's better than nice. It's awesome. It is a very "green" building. It is affiliated with the O. Henry Hotel, Green Valley Grill, and Lucky 32 restaurant.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:10 pm

citycat wrote:It's better than nice. It's awesome. It is a very "green" building. It is affiliated with the O. Henry Hotel, Green Valley Grill, and Lucky 32 restaurant.
Arguably best room ever.

85Wildcatsky

Post by 85Wildcatsky » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:34 am

Let's face the honest truth, Davidson has had athletic success over the years only when a rare coach steps up and personally carries the program on his or her shoulders. We have really no athletic system within the institution pushing for athletic success. If you are lucky to get a Lefty, Schlagel, Greer, or McKillop; that individual drives success and we are usually very lucky to get them with typical pay less than market value. The President nor the AD have ever really implemented and long term programs to bring athletic success. Our athletic programs are reactionary vs. forward looking.

Our athletic programs have become Humpty Dumpty after falling off the wall and only when some magician comes along can anyone put the pieces back together again.
Pioneer League Football Champions 2020
Pioneer League Football Champions 2021 :D
FCS Playoffs 2020
FCS Playoffs 2021
FCS Playoffs 2022

wildcatspride

Post by wildcatspride » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:37 am

85Wildcatsky wrote: If you are lucky to get a Lefty, Schlagel, Greer, or McKillop; that individual drives success and we are usually very lucky to get them with typical pay less than market value.
or Anundsen

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:56 am

Homer Smith
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

Bill Cobb
Site Admin

Post by Bill Cobb » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:46 pm

17-50-2.

Exclude men's basketball (only team sport without a losing record) we are 12-45-2.
"I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter."
Crash Davis

Chedda Blanco

Post by Chedda Blanco » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:54 am

Both tennis teams should be good this year. Unfortunately they only play 5 or 6 conference matches each so won't do much to help that overall record.
I feel the pressure, under more scrutiny.
And what I do? Act more stupidly

Bill Cobb
Site Admin

Post by Bill Cobb » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:47 pm

This tabulation is for team sports only. I'm not including the respective tennis teams or wrestling.
"I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter."
Crash Davis

wildcatspride

Post by wildcatspride » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:33 am

Bill Cobb wrote:This tabulation is for team sports only. I'm not including the respective tennis teams or wrestling.
?

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:10 am

wildcatspride wrote:
Bill Cobb wrote:This tabulation is for team sports only. I'm not including the respective tennis teams or wrestling.
?
+??

TiredCat88

Post by TiredCat88 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:06 am

MrMac wrote:
wildcatspride wrote:
?
+??
Let's just say that if he had of included those sports, the numbers wouldn't be any better.

wildcatspride

Post by wildcatspride » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:45 am

TiredCat88 wrote:
MrMac wrote:
wildcatspride wrote:
?
+??
Let's just say that if he had of included those sports, the numbers wouldn't be any better.
Really? I know the wrestling team has struggled, but the two tennis teams are a combined 10-2, 2-0 in conference. The Women's loss came against the SEC, the men's came against the ACC.