Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:25 pm

BDL wrote:
CatsUpNorth wrote:
BDL wrote:MJ is 6’4 (weird because we saw him listed taller in prep reports) but has a 7 foot wingspan
Recruiting services are often misleading in trying to sell a guy and over exaggerate things, especially with measurements. MJ is long and uses it well but 7 feet is a little outrageous.

The best way to get a realistic sense of these guys is to watch available game tape, but it's hard to find the time and it's not available for every prospect. If you do have the time, you can watch MJ, NBY and Luka games online, and I can post the links if anyone is interested. Unfortunately with Frampton and DCz there isn't much out there so I'm just chugging the same kool-aid as everyone else (especially with respect to Luke).
When a coach who has coached Steph Curry states that he thinks a player has the chance to be on his best ever (as coach said about Luke) thats pretty credible.
Yup, like I said, I’m chugging the same kool aid with respect to Luke

JustaCatsFan

Post by JustaCatsFan » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:29 pm

BDL wrote:
CatsUpNorth wrote:
BDL wrote:MJ is 6’4 (weird because we saw him listed taller in prep reports) but has a 7 foot wingspan
Recruiting services are often misleading in trying to sell a guy and over exaggerate things, especially with measurements. MJ is long and uses it well but 7 feet is a little outrageous.

The best way to get a realistic sense of these guys is to watch available game tape, but it's hard to find the time and it's not available for every prospect. If you do have the time, you can watch MJ, NBY and Luka games online, and I can post the links if anyone is interested. Unfortunately with Frampton and DCz there isn't much out there so I'm just chugging the same kool-aid as everyone else (especially with respect to Luke).
When a coach who has coached Steph Curry states that he thinks a player has the chance to be on his best ever (as coach said about Luke) thats pretty credible.
So you don't think that any of his comments are attributed to his optomism for the young man or possibly posturing in the A10 to garner early attention to position the team for more favorable post season voting?

BDL

Post by BDL » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:16 pm

JustaCatsFan wrote:
BDL wrote:
CatsUpNorth wrote:

So you don't think that any of his comments are attributed to his optomism for the young man or possibly posturing in the A10 to garner early attention to position the team for more favorable post season voting?
McKillop said he was ahead of Kellan Grady and Grady turned out just *ok*. I'll also defer to the people who watched him practice daily.

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:49 pm

Looks like we offered a guard from Argentina, Francisco Farabello. Not sure when we offered it doesn't say specifically, might be an older offer: https://twitter.com/DavidsonMBBRecr/sta ... 9509134342

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:25 pm

When the word from the staff suggests that Kellan will be the point guard and Luke the shooting guard, that helps reinforce some of these notions.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

BDF

Post by BDF » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:19 am

stevelee wrote:When the word from the staff suggests that Kellan will be the point guard and Luke the shooting guard, that helps reinforce some of these notions.
JAG taking on the T$ role seems perfect, given his rebounding ability, three point shot and general toughness.

I look forward to the debate about whether Grady:Frampton:JAG is better than Gibbs:Sullivan:T$.
Bob in the huddle during timeout: "Don't listen to BDL!"
Matt: "Coach, that's BDF."
Bob: "What?! There's two of them!?"

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:36 am

Just the prospect of that debate being arguable excites me.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

Steve Rodgers

Post by Steve Rodgers » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:44 am

BDF wrote:
stevelee wrote:When the word from the staff suggests that Kellan will be the point guard and Luke the shooting guard, that helps reinforce some of these notions.
JAG taking on the T$ role seems perfect, given his rebounding ability, three point shot and general toughness.

I look forward to the debate about whether Grady:Frampton:JAG is better than Gibbs:Sullivan:T$.
When teams press us man to man and we are playing 3 guards (as we usually do), we often have the guard with the weakest ball defender bring the ball up and start the offense. In our scheme, the point guard position is easily alternated.
Even in the 70s we would do that. You don't want Towe and Rivers hounding Sorrentino and Falconi--have the guy Thompson's guarding bring it up. And if the chosen defender is a great offensive player it serves the purpose of tiring him out.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:46 am

"have the guy Thompson's guarding bring it up"

T Jay held him to 13 in 1972-1973.

citycat

Post by citycat » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:54 am

Thompson mentioned T Jay on the Norm Sloan Show in '75 when Nick Pond asked him who defended him the best during his career.

He got revenge when T Jay was gone in December '74. That was when it was legal for students to attend games after classes had ended for Christmas break.

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:31 pm

As a junior David Roddy finished 4th in the discus and 5th in the shot put in his classification in Minn. Obviously he is strong. He probably has good footwork too.

I saw a "Faces in the Crowd" in SI where a kid won the 100m, 200m, and shot put at the GA state meet. I thought this guy must be a freak. His name was Herschel.

Edit: HW actually won the 100 yard dash and the 220. GA didn't go metric until later.

CastleCat

Post by CastleCat » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:09 pm

catnhat wrote:As a junior David Roddy finished 4th in the discus and 5th in the shot put in his classification in Minn. Obviously he is strong. He probably has good footwork too.

I saw a "Faces in the Crowd" in SI where a kid won the 100m, 200m, and shot put at the GA state meet. I thought this guy must be a freak. His name was Herschel.

Edit: HW actually won the 100 yard dash and the 220. GA didn't go metric until later.
Snickers and black eyed peas
lovin' every minute of it

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:09 pm

CastleCat wrote:
catnhat wrote:As a junior David Roddy finished 4th in the discus and 5th in the shot put in his classification in Minn. Obviously he is strong. He probably has good footwork too.

Herschel never lifted weights. Don't tell Stan.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

CastleCat

Post by CastleCat » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:31 pm

Advancing from group C?
lovin' every minute of it

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:18 am

DC69Wildcat wrote:
CastleCat wrote:

Herschel never lifted weights. Don't tell Stan.
Didn't he do a lot of push ups instead?