Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
stan

Post by stan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:08 pm

Acorn wrote:
He is a beast. The reason UNC was able to come back and win was their defensive change in doubling Williams. He was unstoppable down low with a single Tar Heel trying to handle him.

In preseason, Vols were picked 13th out 14 teams. Finished tied for the SEC title in a year the conference was very strong. Barnes started his college coaching career with Davidson in 1978-79. He has been very impressive coaching the Vols. Likely 3 seed in dance, they lose only one senior for next year.

Be interesting to see how we match up next fall when we scrimmage.
"Then they started making 3s. A lot of 3s. We're talking more 3s than a bad dating site."

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:11 pm

stan wrote:
Acorn wrote:
He is a beast. The reason UNC was able to come back and win was their defensive change in doubling Williams. He was unstoppable down low with a single Tar Heel trying to handle him.

In preseason, Vols were picked 13th out 14 teams. Finished tied for the SEC title in a year the conference was very strong. Barnes started his college coaching career with Davidson in 1978-79. He has been very impressive coaching the Vols. Likely 3 seed in dance, they lose only one senior for next year.

Be interesting to see how we match up next fall when we scrimmage.
We were pretty even with the Vols until we rested Peyton...

stan

Post by stan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:18 pm

Steve Rodgers wrote:
BDF wrote: Related to zone, did anyone notice the way we were guarding the pick and roll in the zone against URI? Our center (Will or Oskar) was coming all the way out to the three point line to hedge on the pick and roll like we do in our man defense, but we were definitely playing zone. It was an interesting wrinkle that I don't really remember seeing from us (or many other teams).
It seemed to work pretty well.
I noticed, the first time I saw it I said out loud "what in the hell are we doing?" As you say, it was an interesting wrinkle. We are using match up principles more too, though I don't think I've ever seen the 5 hedge play in the a matchup zone.
We were matching on the perimeter when they showed 4 out. They would then space away from the dribbler and run their big out to screen for the ball. This gave them 5 players around the arc. Just made sense for our big to follow the big he was matched with and play the pick.

Pick and roll isn't the way you would expect a team to try to attack a zone. But if we don't defend it the way we did, we are going to give up the wide open look in the corner (everyone on perimeter has to bump over when they insert the screener) . Rather have our big playing their big than have him chasing out late to the corner when they get an easy look at a 3. Then he can't rebound. two problems
"Then they started making 3s. A lot of 3s. We're talking more 3s than a bad dating site."

stan

Post by stan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:21 pm

Dr. Bliss wrote:
raptorcat wrote:
wildforthecats wrote:
BDL wrote:
Steve Rodgers wrote:I think the big guards we have is the reason both our defense and rebounding have improved. I could see a 4 guard lineup next year. (counting KP and Frampton as guards).
BTW what are Frampton's primary skills?
Ranked as one of the best shooters in the class, has decent athleticism, and is purported as a plus defender.
Can play 1-4 positions.
A few weeks ago, I was listening in on a conversation Bob was having with the Wizards. One of them (Bagelcat, I think) asked Coach what the team would have been like if Frampton had been able to play this year. Bob said "He would be the best shooter on the team; he would have been number two in basketball IQ behind Peyton, and he would have been number one in sheer toughness."
Wow.
dayam.

what he said.

squared.

MLC67

Post by MLC67 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:29 pm

One critically important recruiting asset DU possesses more so than most - a rational, but very passionate, DU community of Kool-Aid addicts. Once one gains entry to this highly selective conglomerate of the faithful, life is changed indelibly by shared TCC.

As with all great family unions, memberships can never be revoked, as it is indeed a great life to be a Wildcat, forever together in pursuit of the perfect, beautiful game of winning basketball.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for men of good will to do nothing. Eddie Burke

Esse Quam Videri

BDF

Post by BDF » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:50 pm

While I think we view Peyton as our first A10 recruit, we were really lucky he didn't write us off early in the process. I think this year's freshman class is probably the first where we were in the A10 from the time the started the recruiting process. A player like Kellan or Luke may have crossed us off their list as sophomores if they didn't see us playing (and winning) the A10 as they started looking at schools.

We are always going to lose some guys to P5 conference. If we aren't, we aren't going after the right guys. Even the top 5 programs don't land every recruit they are interested in. From what I've seen of the last 2 freshman classes and what I hear about the next, I'd say our recruiting is firing on all cylinders. And as BDL said, some of these guys would be top 100s if they had picked a P5 over us. That's just the game that these rating agencies play.
Bob in the huddle during timeout: "Don't listen to BDL!"
Matt: "Coach, that's BDF."
Bob: "What?! There's two of them!?"

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:16 pm

Davidson signee Michael Jones had 25 points as Woodbury defeated White Bear Lake 56-46 in their first round playoff game.

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:48 pm

stan wrote:
Dr. Bliss wrote:
raptorcat wrote:
wildforthecats wrote:
BDL wrote:
Steve Rodgers wrote:I think the big guards we have is the reason both our defense and rebounding have improved. I could see a 4 guard lineup next year. (counting KP and Frampton as guards).
BTW what are Frampton's primary skills?
Ranked as one of the best shooters in the class, has decent athleticism, and is purported as a plus defender.
Can play 1-4 positions.
A few weeks ago, I was listening in on a conversation Bob was having with the Wizards. One of them (Bagelcat, I think) asked Coach what the team would have been like if Frampton had been able to play this year. Bob said "He would be the best shooter on the team; he would have been number two in basketball IQ behind Peyton, and he would have been number one in sheer toughness."
Wow.
dayam.

what he said.

squared.
Slipped my first reading: Bagel now a wizard!
The earth is round. Two plus two equals four.

~Tip well.

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:39 pm

Tough ending to Davidson commit Michael Jones’s HS career (despite scoring 31 of his team’s 48 points):

http://www.woodburybulletin.com/sports/ ... ape-royals

He’ll be very good for Davidson. Congratulations on a great HS career, Mr. Jones.

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:45 pm

Unsure if we want to use the last scholarship spot on a 2018 kid, but power forward Bryce Golden, brother of Richmond's Grant, asked for his release from Pitt. We offered Bryce this past summer.

https://twitter.com/coreyevans_10/statu ... 1319145474

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:21 pm

"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

mccabemi

Post by mccabemi » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:29 pm

We are top 25 with Golden on the roster.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:34 pm

He certainly looks like a guy who'd make us better.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

BDL

Post by BDL » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:48 pm

I sadly haven't seen anything connecting us and him.

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:58 pm

BDL wrote:I sadly haven't seen anything connecting us and him.
We offered him a scholarship