Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
MrMac

Post by MrMac » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:41 am

JoMo wrote:
mccabemi wrote:
Acorn wrote:Through thirteen games, the five seniors who have played are accounting for the following percentages of Davidson's:
Which board member is going back the last 5 years so we can compare the numbers :?:
You rang? I've got this in a spreadsheet, that I'll dig up later. I missed this when it was originally posted.
Before the numbers come out, I am going with the under on most of these current stats. Peyton has been great. Having two 1st and 2nd year players like JAG and Kellan seems unusually fortunate for the team.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:19 am

MrMac wrote:
JoMo wrote:
mccabemi wrote:
Acorn wrote:Through thirteen games, the five seniors who have played are accounting for the following percentages of Davidson's:
Which board member is going back the last 5 years so we can compare the numbers :?:
You rang? I've got this in a spreadsheet, that I'll dig up later. I missed this when it was originally posted.
Before the numbers come out, I am going with the under on most of these current stats. Peyton has been great. Having two 1st and 2nd year players like JAG and Kellan seems unusually fortunate for the team.
Take out Peyton and see what happens.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:20 am

Acorn wrote:
collegecoach8502 wrote:...perhaps 4...
How very wftc of you...
No, I would have said 5... 8-)

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:19 pm

The pope and rabbi come to mind.

Didn't Droney start every game of his freshman year?
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

BDF

Post by BDF » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:21 pm

DC69Wildcat wrote:
BDL wrote:Kellan has shown a willingness to drive but I think its completely fair for people to want a shifty/quick guard who creates for others before himself.
I'd like to have a point guard who plays like that guy for the Warriors.
Wasn't there some concern among that guy's college fan base when he had to move from shooting guard to point?

And speaking of Droney, not only did he start every game as a freshman, he became a pretty good point guard by his senior year.
Bob in the huddle during timeout: "Don't listen to BDL!"
Matt: "Coach, that's BDF."
Bob: "What?! There's two of them!?"

Steve Rodgers

Post by Steve Rodgers » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:50 pm

BDL wrote:
wildforthecats wrote:
BDL wrote:
wildforthecats wrote:
BDL wrote:
collegecoach8502 wrote:Kellan Grady is our point guard… We”ll be able to use others as back up points… But if you think Kellan isn’t a point guard then you don’t know what a point guard looks like.

Just a quick reminder, Jack Gibbs didn’t start a game as a freshman and came off the bench and averaged only 20 minutes a game… I daresay Kellan has the opportunity to surpass Jack’s career.
I don't think anyone is questioning his talent, he clearly has a chance to be an all time davidson great without question. However, many here seem to want a true point guard; Kellan averages under 2 assists a game. Kellan has shown a willingness to drive but I think its completely fair for people to want a shifty/quick guard who creates for others before himself.
Grady is still just a freshman. He will be amazing before he is done.
No one is arguing this point; he is already amazing (one of our best players). I'm just saying I understnd why some want a true point guard. Grady isn't used as a pass first point guard by the way nor should he. His incredible talents are accentuated by how we use him now. He plays alot like Paul Pierce instead of Chris Paul, a focal point but not a floor general.
We didn't have a true point guard in 2014-2015 and things worked out okay.
I may be wrong but out offensive system seems to de-emphasize the need for a dominant ball handler.
I'm with BFD and WTF ( :lol: ) we can get by without a point guard because our offensive system doesn't require one.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:54 pm

Steve Rodgers wrote:
BDL wrote:
wildforthecats wrote:
BDL wrote:
wildforthecats wrote:
BDL wrote:
collegecoach8502 wrote:Kellan Grady is our point guard… We”ll be able to use others as back up points… But if you think Kellan isn’t a point guard then you don’t know what a point guard looks like.

Just a quick reminder, Jack Gibbs didn’t start a game as a freshman and came off the bench and averaged only 20 minutes a game… I daresay Kellan has the opportunity to surpass Jack’s career.
I don't think anyone is questioning his talent, he clearly has a chance to be an all time davidson great without question. However, many here seem to want a true point guard; Kellan averages under 2 assists a game. Kellan has shown a willingness to drive but I think its completely fair for people to want a shifty/quick guard who creates for others before himself.
No one is arguing this point; he is already amazing (one of our best players). I'm just saying I understnd why some want a true point guard. Grady isn't used as a pass first point guard by the way nor should he. His incredible talents are accentuated by how we use him now. He plays alot like Paul Pierce instead of Chris Paul, a focal point but not a floor general.
I may be wrong but out offensive system seems to de-emphasize the need for a dominant ball handler.
I'm with BFD and WTF ( :lol: ) we can get by without a point guard because our offensive system doesn't require one.
We don't NEED no stinkin Sorrentino.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:30 pm

BDF wrote: Wasn't there some concern among that guy's college fan base when he had to move from shooting guard to point?
The switch was more to give him a shot at the NBA than to help the college team that year.

It's sort of unfair, but compare the year before with JRich as PG and SC30 as SG vs. his last year when he was the PG.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

cat44

Post by cat44 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:28 pm

wildforthecats wrote:
Steve Rodgers wrote:
BDL wrote:
wildforthecats wrote:
BDL wrote:
wildforthecats wrote:
BDL wrote:

But wouldn't it be nice to have him?

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:51 pm

cat44 wrote:
wildforthecats wrote:
Steve Rodgers wrote:
BDL wrote:
wildforthecats wrote:
BDL wrote:
wildforthecats wrote:
BDL wrote:

But wouldn't it be nice to have him?
Haha, yes he was great. Bruno!

Mephisto

Post by Mephisto » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:18 pm

You can always use a Sorrentino; he could damn well hit a cutter.

citycat

Post by citycat » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:31 pm

He was similar to Jason Richards. He was quick enough to beat most people off the dribble and was a good jumper shooter. He was 5'10" at a time small quick guards were popular, Monte Towe, e.g.

For two years, '72-'73 and '73-'74, we had 2 very good point guards with Bruno and Jay.

Gerg's teammate Baron Hill was a similar point guard to Sorrentino, except he had bigger wad in his wallet.

mccabemi

Post by mccabemi » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:14 am

JoMo wrote:
mccabemi wrote:
Excellent.

JoMo

Post by JoMo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:21 am

Please note that prior to 2008 I am only showing "rough" years on this chart. I have the data for every year, but it's cumbersome enough to present it this way.
All stats for players who did not return for reasons including graduation, transfer or leaving for the NBA.
My apologies to anyone who is colorblind. I could post the tabular form if there is a desire to see that.
TCC - trust, commitment, care

Wildcat92

Post by Wildcat92 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:56 am

Really interesting stuff, guys, but can we keep this thread to actual recruiting updates? Does anyone have anything new?
"When Davidson’s offense is clicking, the reads upon reads of its motion offense unfold like some masterful concerto." - SLAM Magazine. 10/27/15