Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
mccabemi

Post by mccabemi » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:27 pm

We will always have an uphill battle in these races because we don't have the same facilities or number of coaches or $. Kids like that. Adults like that. We essentially have to counter that with "family" and "relationships." That sounds mostly like a "yeah, but" to most recruits. It's just going to be a losing battle most of the time.

We have got playing time to sell. We will do plenty of winning this year. Prediction: there's going to be many players who want to play with us by the end of 2017.

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:34 pm

mccabemi wrote:We will always have an uphill battle in these races because we don't have the same facilities or number of coaches or $. Kids like that. Adults like that. We essentially have to counter that with "family" and "relationships." That sounds mostly like a "yeah, but" to most recruits. It's going to be a losing battle most of the time.

We have got playing time to sell. We will do plenty of winning this year. Prediction: there's going to be many players who want to play with us.
Agree on all counts, and I'm sure the staff has a backup plan I'm unaware of, but when a skilled big like Riley is clearly the top target and exactly what our team needs, and we don't have an apparent backup plan (Luka Brajkovic is a nice prospect but not very refined at the moment, search U18 Austria on youtube and you can watch his games to see for yourself), it's hard to be optimistic.

We definitely did everything we could to land Riley and today stinks, I just wish we had a better sense of what the backup plan was, because like you said, it will be an uphill battle in a lot of situations, I'm just not totally sold we were prepared to lose this battle.

Tomorrow I'll wake up and mix in some kool-aid with my coffee and will be fine I'm sure, today is just frustrating. Still a huge fan of Michael Jones and love that we landed a younger CZ.

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:50 pm

Devastating. Good luck, Riley.

BDL

Post by BDL » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:02 pm

Tough outcome but we'll be fine, good luck to him. Sidenote, at the start I was much more worried about Vanderbilt, Ohio State, and Northwestern because those schools match academically and have similar if not better pedigrees athletically (Ohio State). Personally, I don't see where Utah beats us outside of Conference affiliation and even there the Pac-12 hasn't been that much better than the A10 recently (but they mustve just recruited as hard or harder than us).

BDL

Post by BDL » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:07 pm

i77cat wrote:
BaseRich306 wrote:
i77cat wrote:
BaseRich306 wrote:I don't know what the lesson is here. How do you even compare schools like Davidson and Utah? They bear zero resemblance to one another. Like many of the big name recruits, he clearly preferred one type of school to the other.
Maybe. It might have nothing to do with type of school. It could be that he felt a better connection to a group of coaches. Or wanted to stay closer to home. Or he prefers their track record of getting big guys to the NBA. Or maybe his girlfriend attends Utah. Who knows?
I'm not criticizing anybody. I'm wondering what it will take for Davidson to take that "next step" as a program. Obviously one recruit is not make or break, but this was a big one. We all know that.

Agreed. I didn't see your post as a criticism. We chased this kid hard. Much like we did Luke Maye. I think we took the next step with this year's group of freshmen. Getting either Battin or Tyson would take next year's class up a big notch. It is already good with Jones and Czerapowicz, but one of the big guys would really help. Maybe we sign the big Austrian guy now? He'd be a nice player for us.
I get losing a recruit to UNC or Duke (as much as we like hating them, they're both very good academic schools and have copious amounts of prestige/history in basketball) but I don't get losing out to Utah. It had to be because of the conferences, we are better on the court and in the classroom.

GoalCat

Post by GoalCat » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:20 pm

We cannot know why young Battin chose Utah over us, unless he tell us, and that's not going to happen in any truly revealing sense. For whatever combination of reasons, he preferred Utah. Best of luck.

Wanting to view the glass as half full, I'm going to hope that Hunter Tyson's decision will have a heavier emphasis on academics than perhaps Battin's did. My only speculation on that comes from reading somewhere that his father is his high school principal (I could be wrong), and that makes me want to believe that he couldn't possibly send his son to Clemsun.

kevin mcmahon

Post by kevin mcmahon » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:22 pm

Next up.
"Microphones are for Navy guys"... Ranger H.

Wildcat92

Post by Wildcat92 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:43 pm

Is it possible Mr. Battin is a Latter Day Saint?
"When Davidson’s offense is clicking, the reads upon reads of its motion offense unfold like some masterful concerto." - SLAM Magazine. 10/27/15

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:50 pm

If so I bet BYU would have been involved.

He grew up in Californa. He grew up with the PAC-12.

Their Coach K ain't chopped liver. He played in the NBA and has sent big men to the NBA.

Battin couldn't make a bad choice with the 4 options he had.

RichmondCat

Post by RichmondCat » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:55 pm

Moving on. Really excited about this kid.

Great connection to Davidson already.

https://twitter.com/JustinByerly/status ... 0291563520

Wildcat92

Post by Wildcat92 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:24 pm

he looks great, but we need a big man in 2018
"When Davidson’s offense is clicking, the reads upon reads of its motion offense unfold like some masterful concerto." - SLAM Magazine. 10/27/15

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:25 pm

We offered 2020 Justice Ajogbor while he was on an unofficial visit today, per twitter

Just saw above post, disregard as new
Last edited by CatsUpNorth on Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:26 pm

RichmondCat wrote:Moving on. Really excited about this kid.

Maybe he can graduate a couple of years early and enroll in time for next season! With Aldridge, Ekwu, and Magarity all graduating we're going to have some room in the post.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:25 pm

RichmondCat wrote:Moving on. Really excited about this kid.

Cool

citycat

Post by citycat » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:42 pm

The Plumlees are graduates of Christ School in Arden, NC.