Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:08 pm

i77cat wrote:If we add Hunter Tyson and Riley Battin, we'll be really good. At least as strong an RPI as the 4th or 5th best team in the ACC. I'd be stunned if Clemson finishes in the top 4 or 5 in the ACC more than once in the next few decades. Joel Welser has them at #13 in this season's ACC.
I don't like speaking about people's jobs like this, but it's also a reality that if Joel Welser is correct and they don't get a commitment from Zion Williamson, Clemson might move on from Brad Brownell (who by all accounts I've heard is a great guy). Williamson plays the same position as Tyson, but is also projected as a one-and-done so I don't know if that would impact his decision/Clemson pursuing him.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:23 pm

But they are the defending National Champs in their marquee sport.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

RichmondCat

Post by RichmondCat » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:16 pm

Hunter Tyson to visit Clemson on 9/23. Home game vs BC.

https://twitter.com/justinbyerly/status ... 3827376129

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:15 pm

https://twitter.com/ASlater247/status/9 ... 8779445248

Would think if this were to pass it would be a good thing for us, as we only pursue students with certain academic qualifications anyway.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:35 am

http://247sports.com/Article/Sources-Ma ... -107001121

"The concern from some detractors may be the further encouragement of raiding smaller programs as well as the likelihood that the number of annual transfers will grow exponentially. The challenge of tracking potential tampering in pending transfers may also be a potential hazard of the new development."

I'm not sure that the author understands exponents. Tampering will surge. This will also provide an incentive for schools to make sure that their better players have GPAs just under the limit for transfer eligibility.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

Steve Rodgers

Post by Steve Rodgers » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:11 am

Video for cartman slaves ncaa- 1:56

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdc0u7fDwE8

BDF

Post by BDF » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:56 am

i77cat wrote:http://247sports.com/Article/Sources-Ma ... -107001121

"The concern from some detractors may be the further encouragement of raiding smaller programs as well as the likelihood that the number of annual transfers will grow exponentially. The challenge of tracking potential tampering in pending transfers may also be a potential hazard of the new development."

I'm not sure that the author understands exponents. Tampering will surge. This will also provide an incentive for schools to make sure that their better players have GPAs just under the limit for transfer eligibility.
<Poli Sci guy carefully wades into math discussion> Isn't all growth exponential growth, it's just a question of how big the exponent is?
Bob in the huddle during timeout: "Don't listen to BDL!"
Matt: "Coach, that's BDF."
Bob: "What?! There's two of them!?"

raptorcat

Post by raptorcat » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:16 am

BDF wrote:Isn't all growth exponential growth, it's just a question of how big the exponent is?
If Graveline hadn't gone all squeaky clean when he became a moderator, I would have been compelled to say, "No, Graveline."
“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”
"I can't be worrying about that sh*t. Life goes on, man."
- Jeff Bridges as The Dude in "The Big Lebowski"

chantillycat

Post by chantillycat » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:02 am

BDF wrote:Isn't all growth exponential growth, it's just a question of how big the exponent is?
Okay, you asked for it.

I don't think so. Here's an example of an exponential function: f(x) = 2^x (two to the power x)

It is distinctive in that its first derivative looks a lot like itself:

f'(x) = ln(2)*2^x

In words, the growth rate of an exponential function for a particular value of x is proportional to the value of the function for that value of x.

Special case of the above, a function whose first derivative is itself:

f(x) = e^x (e to the power x)
f'(x) = e^x

You will never get any linear growth function to look like the exponential functions above. E.g., f(x) = ax + b, f'(x) = a (constant growth)

Same goes for any polynomial function. E.g., a simple parabola, f(x) = x^2, f'(x) = 2x (growth increases linearly)

I think a lot of folks use the term "exponentially" loosely -- for example, when describing something where the rate of growth increases. However, the parabola above has that property, and it's not an exponential function.
Last edited by chantillycat on Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"... coming out of the murky, dreary jungle of untutored mediocrity."

Mephisto

Exhileration

Post by Mephisto » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:18 am

Nothing quite like the smell of exponential functions in the morning!

Steve Rodgers

Re: Exhileration

Post by Steve Rodgers » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:57 pm

Mephisto wrote:Nothing quite like the smell of exponential functions in the morning!
It smells like.........Smiling F Jackson.

RichmondCat

Post by RichmondCat » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:01 pm

So, maybe this is why Hunter Tyson will be visiting Clemson for the BC game and not the Auburn game:

https://twitter.com/ClemsonSports/statu ... 2190936064

Hard to make a convincing case for how much you are wanted when you are sitting with the 5 star (No. 2 overall) recruit who also plays your position.

I assume Khavon Moore also not invited to the BC or Auburn game.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:31 pm

Yes, I think colloquially people talk about exponential growth, when they mean that the first derivative is positive. What if the second derivative is always positive?

Exponents can, of course, be negative, too. What of exponential growth in that case?

As a few of you might recall from my first ventures in posting on this board, my mathematical interests tend to relate to musical application, and often then to tuning systems. I had a surprise a while back. I was contemplating the equation 3^x = 5^y, and I knew there would be no solutions with two integers except for x=0 and y=0. But I thought it might be interesting to look at a graph of that to see if there are places where the graph approximates the intersection of integral values. I intuited that since it would involve some rather large exponents, the curve could really be bizarre. A wee bit of figuring suggested to me the surprising result that the graph is a straight line. That would have been obvious to a real mathematician, I guess.

Of seemingly more practical interest to the would-be temperer would be 3(2^x) = 5(2^y), which would of course also be linear and have no mutually integral solutions.

But back sort of on topic, I think a chromatic scale in 12-tone equal temperament would be exponential, increasing by powers of the twelfth root of 2.

So in terms of growth, until you factor in death, wouldn't for the same reason cell growth be exponential? Is perhaps that the idea behind the question of whether all growth is exponential?
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

orangelights

Post by orangelights » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:49 pm

3^x = 5^y is the line y=log_base_5(3)*x

Most people who call something exponential growth are basing it on 2 data points. There is an exponential function through any 2 points of different x values. So you have to wait for a third data point to correct these people.

I'm not sure math is the best recruiting tool. We only talk math when we're starved for basketball news.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:28 pm

Yes, that's how I realized it was a straight line, by going into logarithms and realizing that y was a constant times x. I was hoping that I hadn't unwittingly violated something important in the process.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ