Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
CatsUpNorth

Re: Northfiled Mt Hermon prospect

Post by CatsUpNorth » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:52 pm

catborn'bred wrote:Saw this article on a 6'9" good shooting big man from NMH. No mention of Davidson but just seems like a good fit for our team.

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball ... wski?s=189
He's a guy who has been pretty relevant for awhile and recruited by big time schools starting last year, and never by us, so would guess if we wanted him we would have been recruiting him, or if we decided we wanted him now, it would likely be too late to enter the mix.

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:13 pm

Acorn wrote:
Acorn wrote:
Acorn wrote:I haven't seen any reports of Davidson interest, but relatively local high-academic prospect Aaron Nesmith reportedly offered by USC:

https://mobile.twitter.com/tmpbasketbal ... 7634639873
Va Tech too

https://mobile.twitter.com/alphaJYD/sta ... 1167309824
I know some of you hate updates on recruits with no known Davidson connections, but Nesmith has now been offered by Texas A&M, UMass, Minnesota, Georgia Tech, Florida, Cincinnati, and Oklahoma State as well.
Now Pitt and Vanderbilt. Congrats to Mr. Nesmith! He has earned lots of great options.

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:40 pm

New Riley Battin highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMeMHkjfPcM

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:57 am

Vanderbilt writer seems to think they are at the top of Riley Battin's list based on his conversation with him: http://www.scout.com/college/vanderbilt ... ebook-7-19

Not sure I buy it, but they are without a doubt a threat.

DCA06

Post by DCA06 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:16 pm

Obviously candy is in p5 and has had some success with bigs. I would argue we have too and it's much easier for us to reach ncaa vs sec. further Peyton should be a great example to 4/5 recruits that you will improve and become a well rounded player

cat44

Post by cat44 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:45 pm

DCA06 wrote:Obviously candy is in p5 and has had some success with bigs. I would argue we have too and it's much easier for us to reach ncaa vs sec. further Peyton should be a great example to 4/5 recruits that you will improve and become a well rounded player
Peyton's not a real good example. He was a stud when he came to DU. Before he came, I wrote on this board that he might be our best recruit since Curry. If he stays healthy it will be between him and Jack, with Jake and T$ lurking. He has gotten better, but that would have happened no matter where he went. I think De'mon and T$ are great examples of rising above expectations.

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:35 pm

cat44 wrote:
DCA06 wrote:Obviously candy is in p5 and has had some success with bigs. I would argue we have too and it's much easier for us to reach ncaa vs sec. further Peyton should be a great example to 4/5 recruits that you will improve and become a well rounded player
Peyton's not a real good example. He was a stud when he came to DU. Before he came, I wrote on this board that he might be our best recruit since Curry. If he stays healthy it will be between him and Jack, with Jake and T$ lurking. He has gotten better, but that would have happened no matter where he went. I think De'mon and T$ are great examples of rising above expectations.
Kellan is now the highest ranked recruit to choose Davidson in the McKillop era, and Battin would be right up there as well. Peyton was a stud and ready to contribute coming in, but as far as recruitment rankings and pedigree (which we know don't always matter) Grady especially has quite the resume.

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:39 pm

Article on Battin: http://www.cityofbasketballlove.com/new ... ferrer_id=

Mentions us and plans on taking an official in the fall, already has a trip planned for visiting Vandy in late August, they really do seem like an emerging threat (ugh). Article also describes his game if you aren't familiar with him, big and strong, super skilled, knocked for his athleticism.

BaseRich306

Post by BaseRich306 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:07 pm

CatsUpNorth wrote:
cat44 wrote:
Kellan is now the highest ranked recruit to choose Davidson in the McKillop era, and Battin would be right up there as well. Peyton was a stud and ready to contribute coming in, but as far as recruitment rankings and pedigree (which we know don't always matter) Grady especially has quite the resume.
Frank Ben-Eze?

cat44

Post by cat44 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:31 pm

BaseRich306 wrote:
CatsUpNorth wrote:
cat44 wrote:
Frank Ben-Eze?
My comments were not based on rankings. My comments were based on watching Peyton play as a junior and senior in high school. If Kellen can approach Peyton and Jack we'll be very happy. Same goes for Luke. I'll know more after Aug 3, but for some reason I believe Luke may be better than we all think.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:39 pm

cat44 wrote:
BaseRich306 wrote:
CatsUpNorth wrote:
cat44 wrote:
Frank Ben-Eze?
My comments were not based on rankings. My comments were based on watching Peyton play as a junior and senior in high school. If Kellen can approach Peyton and Jack we'll be very happy. Same goes for Luke. I'll know more after Aug 3, but for some reason I believe Luke may be better than we all think.
Luke will be sensational for us.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:13 pm

Luke will be sensational for us.
For sure. Amazing freshman class, all four of them. It has to be one of the best recruiting years of the McKillop era.

Luke didn't provide me with a lot of highlights the nights I shot video, and didn't play with a lot of razzle dazzle otherwise, but made it all look easy.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:02 pm

Re: Frank B-E. He was ESPN evaluated with a 90 score; Kellan scores 81. Looking forward to seeing KG exceed expectations.

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:10 pm

MrMac wrote:Re: Frank B-E. He was ESPN evaluated with a 90 score; Kellan scores 81. Looking forward to seeing KG exceed expectations.
The 100th overall ESPN recruit in 2017 was graded 83 (http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... order/true)

The number grades fluctuate greatly from year to year and are effectively meaningless. For example, Tom Droney was an 89, but ranked the 64th overall shooting guard, while Kellan's 81 makes him the 30th ranked point guard per their rankings.

ESPN's rankings are also among the least reliable outside of the top 30-or-so players, they place a ton of emphasis on kids playing at blue blood programs and not much else. Scout and Rivals are both more reliable, and both have Kellan in their top 100 overall players.

In other words, I look at these sites way too much and know how they vary from year to year.

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:12 pm

CatsUpNorth wrote:
MrMac wrote:Re: Frank B-E. He was ESPN evaluated with a 90 score; Kellan scores 81. Looking forward to seeing KG exceed expectations.
The 100th overall ESPN recruit in 2017 was graded 83 (http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... order/true)

The number grades fluctuate greatly from year to year and are effectively meaningless. For example, Tom Droney was an 89, but ranked the 64th overall shooting guard, while Kellan's 81 makes him the 30th ranked point guard per their rankings.

ESPN's rankings are also among the least reliable outside of the top 30-or-so players, they place a ton of emphasis on kids playing at blue blood programs and not much else. Scout and Rivals are both more reliable, and both have Kellan in their top 100 overall players.

In other words, I look at these sites way too much and know how they vary from year to year.
I suppose that the perceived "value" of tbe position plays a role too. As you have noted, Kellan is in many top 100 lists. Frank was #16 on the Center's ranking and drew nary a nod as a top 100 player.