Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
MrMac

Post by MrMac » Sat May 20, 2017 1:54 pm

DCA06 wrote:I think it would be great to add MJ but lets remember, much like Will, he will have had 2 years off. I thought it took Will almost the entire year to get his footwork back (and even then there was some left to be desired). Guys who take a year off, or losing starting time, are effectively 2yrs back in their first year post transfer. Also need some good freshman with the talent and readiness to contribute day 1.
I suppose that it would matter what they were doing during those Intervening months/years. While it is true that there is no substitute for competition, it is equally true that there is no substitute for practice.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Sat May 20, 2017 2:05 pm

DCA06 wrote:I think it would be great to add MJ but lets remember, much like Will, he will have had 2 years off. I thought it took Will almost the entire year to get his footwork back (and even then there was some left to be desired). Guys who take a year off, or losing starting time, are effectively 2yrs back in their first year post transfer. Also need some good freshman with the talent and readiness to contribute day 1.
Jacobson would be a very good addition to the Davidson roster. He was a starter this pass season while Will saw limited action off the bench for two years at BC. Magarity also missed 10 out of the last 12 games his sophomore season. I expect the four freshmen to all play and contribute in 17-18.

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Sat May 20, 2017 3:31 pm

Magarity has a huge upside. He'll probably keep improving for another 5+ years. At some point he'll be 6'11", 260 lbs. and score 17 or 18 ppg while making about 40% of his threes and pulling down 10 rebounds a game.

Jacobson appears ready to play from Day 1. You don't start every game in the Big 10- and lead the league in offensive rebounds- if you're not already an accomplished player.

BDL

Post by BDL » Sat May 20, 2017 7:55 pm

2 years off? Did he not play this past season?

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Sun May 21, 2017 8:09 pm

Looks like Michigan is in good shape with Hunter Tyson, unless he is keeping his interest in us close to the vest: https://twitter.com/zsmart3/status/866118666647027712

Ugh.

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Mon May 22, 2017 1:51 pm

CatsUpNorth wrote:Looks like Michigan is in good shape with Hunter Tyson, unless he is keeping his interest in us close to the vest: https://twitter.com/zsmart3/status/866118666647027712

Ugh.
Very close to the vest. He has said nothing about Davidson recently in the reports I've read quoting him. In the full article linked in the Tweet the author seemed more excited about Davidson than does Tyson.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Mon May 22, 2017 4:11 pm

Acorn wrote:
CatsUpNorth wrote:Looks like Michigan is in good shape with Hunter Tyson, unless he is keeping his interest in us close to the vest: https://twitter.com/zsmart3/status/866118666647027712

Ugh.
Very close to the vest. He has said nothing about Davidson recently in the reports I've read quoting him. In the full article linked in the Tweet the author seemed more excited about Davidson than does Tyson.

Wolverines aren't real, are they?

Love,

Hugh Jackman

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Mon May 22, 2017 6:22 pm

Michael Jacobson committed to Iowa State, per Jon Rothstein.

Ugh

mccabemi

Post by mccabemi » Mon May 22, 2017 7:37 pm

I'm not sure I get all the "ughs". As info becomes public on recruits it's pretty easy to tell when we're in the mix and when we're not. Davidson takes a special student, and that's always been the case. As for MJ, he would have been a nice big body. But he played for 2 years and shot 40% .from the field and 18% from 3. Have no idea how he fit in with the guys on his visit or how he would have played with the team. I'm sure he made the best decision he thought he could make.

If I could think of one "ugh" it might have been Maye because we seemed to be in it until the final week. However, even in that case the likilihood of players choosing us over the big guys is well, just not high. Curry wouldn't have if he had the opportunity. And the 2nd Curry didn't. The lights are dimmer, the classes harder, but the journey- well- that's the sell we have to make. Sure, we all get it. But not too many kids will. We want the ones who do get it. And the best sell we have is the guys who wear the jersey. Wouldn't trade a one of them. And I don't spend too much time wishing the players who didnt choose us did.

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Mon May 22, 2017 7:45 pm

mccabemi wrote:I'm not sure I get all the "ughs". As info becomes public on recruits it's pretty easy to tell when we're in the mix and when we're not. Davidson takes a special student, and that's always been the case. As for MJ, he would have been a nice big body. But he played for 2 years and shot 40% .from the field and 18% from 3. Have no idea how he fit in with the guys on his visit or how he would have played with the team. I'm sure he made the best decision he thought he could make.

If I could think of one "ugh" it might have been Maye because we seemed to be in it until the final week. However, even in that case the likilihood of players choosing us over the big guys is well, just not high. Curry wouldn't have if he had the opportunity. And the 2nd Curry didn't. The lights are dimmer, the classes harder, but the journey- well- that's the sell we have to make. Sure, we all get it. But not too many kids will. We want the ones who do get it. And the best sell we have is the guys who wear the jersey. Wouldn't trade a one of them. And I don't spend too much time wishing the players who didnt choose us did.
"Ugh" just because I like when we get players we target, and get anxious when we don't. Nothing more than that.

citycat

Post by citycat » Mon May 22, 2017 9:31 pm

We have several scholarships available for incoming players in '18-'19. A transfer from another program would have to sit out '17-'18 and would be competing for playing time with those other incoming players in '17-'18.

If there's a JUCO transfer 4-5 player who will be eligible in '17-'18, coming to Davidson would be ideal for him and the program. 3 of our returning big men have missed action due to injuries the last 2-3 years.

An incoming player would inherit some of Andrew's minutes in '17-'18. The next year, he would have experience and the inside track to take some of Peyton's, Nate's, and Will's minutes.

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Mon May 22, 2017 10:01 pm

citycat wrote:We have several scholarships available for incoming players in '18-'19. A transfer from another program would have to sit out '17-'18 and would be competing for playing time with those other incoming players in '17-'18.

If there's a JUCO transfer 4-5 player who will be eligible in '17-'18, coming to Davidson would be ideal for him and the program. 3 of our returning big men have missed action due to injuries the last 2-3 years.

An incoming player would inherit some of Andrew's minutes in '17-'18. The next year, he would have experience and the inside track to take some of Peyton's, Nate's, and Will's minutes.
I agree that having someone in 17-18 would be ideal, but I think that ship has sailed, with Anticevich being the last hope of that happening. There may be something happening very under the radar but players have mostly made up their decisions in the 2017 class.

DCA06

Post by DCA06 » Mon May 22, 2017 10:16 pm

When you guys scoff at taking lesser quality sure fire C students who are great athletes slash basketball players - why would you think we take a JUCo. As alums, we have to decide do we want to be a zags like team or keep missing out on a few higher quality players due to academics etc

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Mon May 22, 2017 11:04 pm

DCA06 wrote:When you guys scoff at taking lesser quality sure fire C students who are great athletes slash basketball players - why would you think we take a JUCo. As alums, we have to decide do we want to be a zags like team or keep missing out on a few higher quality players due to academics etc
Being a JuCo athlete cannot be automatically equated with inferior academics. I was one, and I do not think I pulled down my team's GPA too much in my final two years at DC.

citycat

Post by citycat » Mon May 22, 2017 11:26 pm

In '13-'14, we took a long look at a JUCO, Neal Monson. He began his career at Utah, went on a two year Mormon mission, and returned to discover the Utes had changed coaches and no longer wanted him. He went to a Junior College for a year and played there.

He ended up at UC-Davis, which is a good school academically. We decided to not offer him a scholarship. He would have helped us in '14-'15 and '15-'16.

We had two junior college players in the '80s, Tommy McConnell and Pat Riazzi. Both came to Davidson when we had a lot of players leaving. Pat Riazzi has a son on the tennis team now.

The advantage of a JUCO player is that we get to see him play at a higher level than high school and he will be healthy when he enters the program.
Last edited by citycat on Tue May 23, 2017 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.