Fall Team Sport Summary

A place to discuss topics which impact all of Davidson's sports
Bill Cobb
Site Admin

Fall Team Sport Summary

Post by Bill Cobb » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:17 am

Records thus far this year. This is a good time to put this up as most of these sports have ended the bulk of the non-conference schedule and now are beginning conference play.

Football 2-3 0-2 in the Pioneer
Women's Soccer 4-6-1 0-1-1 in the A-10
Men's Soccer 1-8 0-1 in the A-10
Volleyball 5-11 1-2 in the A-10 (only sport with a conference win)
Field Hockey 2-9 0-3 in the A-10

Every team on campus has a losing record overall and in conference. Hopefully we will have a better week this week.
"I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter."
Crash Davis

Corpulent Cat

Post by Corpulent Cat » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:53 am

Seems like the dumpster is smoldering.

Bill Cobb
Site Admin

Post by Bill Cobb » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:11 pm

Football 2-4 0-3 in the Pioneer
Women's Soccer 4-8-1 0-3-1 in the A-10
Men's Soccer 2-9 0-2 in the A-10 (Great win vs Duke followed by bad loss.)
Volleyball 7-11 3-2 in the A-10 (only sport with a winning conf record)
Field Hockey 3-11 1-4 in the A-10 (Got first A-10 win!)
"I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter."
Crash Davis

quickcat

Post by quickcat » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:58 pm

Final conference placings and national ranks

Women’s Soccer: 13th, RPI 257, average RPI last two years in Socon 180
Men’s Soccer: 12th, RPI 182, average RPI last two years in Socon 124
Volleyball: 6th, RPI 234, average RPI last two years in Socon 200
Field Hockey: T 7th, RPI 69
Women’s Cross Country: 4th, Regionals 18th, average Regionals last two years in Socon 27th
Men’s Cross Country: T 7th, Regionals 17th, average Regionals last two years in Socon 19th
Football: 9th in Pioneer, Massey Rating #558, #488 Massey Rating in 12 and #742 in 13

Obviously, some really poor conference finishes for both soccer teams, but interestingly the main reason for the conference placing seems to be that the Cats teams are worse overall than a few years ago, not that the conference is tougher. Both XC teams are improving. Hopefully just a down year for some teams. Football has it’s own discussion board, so I’ll leave it at that.

Corpulent Cat

Post by Corpulent Cat » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:48 pm

Worse in all team sports since leaving the SoCon. As I mentioned that place is a dumpster fire. Thank God for McKillop and baseball program - our two best team sports.

TiredCat88

Post by TiredCat88 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:35 pm

There is zero commitment. We have talked about funding athletics since at least 2001, perhaps earlier. Always false promises. We expect coaches to win and fire them when they don't - when they have no shot in hell of succeeding.

Meanwhile we continue to talk - simply talk. We should have an AD that spends all of his time on the road raising money. That's the model of other successful institutions. There is zero accountability above the coaches. Make a decision - are we going to be successful in athletics or are we not?

Corpulent Cat

Post by Corpulent Cat » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:55 pm

Pres. Quillen now has the distinction of presiding over perhaps the worst athletic program in America. And we have reached our nadir under her watch.

As I mentioned before, she is all hat and no cattle. Talk is cheap.

wildcatspride

Post by wildcatspride » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:18 pm

Corpulent Cat wrote:Pres. Quillen now has the distinction of presiding over perhaps the worst athletic program in America. And we have reached our nadir under her watch.

Under her watch, the basketball team has moved from one of the least successful league to one of the most, won that league and earned the first ever at-large bid. The baseball team is the most successful it has been in 30 years, women's tennis is arguably as good as it's ever been since moving to D-1, wrestling had its first win ever at the national championships, we have sent athletes to national championships in swimming and track.

Im not sure I see your point.

graveline

Post by graveline » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:34 pm

Corpulent Cat wrote:Pres. Quillen now has the distinction of presiding over perhaps the worst athletic program in America. And we have reached our nadir under her watch.

Suck it Wellesley. Eat ? oberlin. Kiss our ass reed (the northwestern commune and onetime home of Steve jobs, not our long lost poster)
If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said it

TiredCat88

Post by TiredCat88 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:59 pm

wildcatspride wrote:

Under her watch, the basketball team has moved from one of the least successful league to one of the most, won that league and earned the first ever at-large bid. The baseball team is the most successful it has been in 30 years, women's tennis is arguably as good as it's ever been since moving to D-1, wrestling had its first win ever at the national championships, we have sent athletes to national championships in swimming and track.

Based on your post, I would guess one of three things. You use to work in the Davidson administration, you currently work in the Davidson administration or you want to work in the Davidson administration. It is only those that think like that stated above who apparently can't see the dumpster fire that Davidson athletics has become. I pray Bob McKillop doesn't retire for another 20 years or we will have nothing.

wildcatspride

Post by wildcatspride » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:11 am

TiredCat88 wrote:
wildcatspride wrote:

Based on your post, I would guess one of three things. You use to work in the Davidson administration, you currently work in the Davidson administration or you want to work in the Davidson administration. It is only those that think like that stated above who apparently can't see the dumpster fire that Davidson athletics has become. I pray Bob McKillop doesn't retire for another 20 years or we will have nothing.
You are correct, I have worked at Davidson in the past. You may think that leads me to have been blinded by some mysterious institutional kool-aid, but I think the more plausible reason that people who witness the inner workings of the administration push back against your argument is because they have a decent amount of knowledge of the situation.

I'm not trying to say that Davidson does not have challenges when it comes to athletics. I have had many conversations on how to improve the program based on what I have seen.

You say everyone who has worked or does work at Davidson rebukes the "Everything is terrible and it's the president's fault" argument. I promise you it's not because you are right and we are trying to keep it a secret due to some strange indoctrination.