Worst Fall Conference All-Sports Performance in DC History?

A place to discuss topics which impact all of Davidson's sports
Bill Cobb
Site Admin

Worst Fall Conference All-Sports Performance in DC History?

Post by Bill Cobb » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:27 pm

Includes Football, Men's and Women's Soccer, Volleyball, and Field Hockey. All sports combined.

Didn't include the non-team sports.

2014: 10-33-3
2015: 17-31-0
2016: 10-36-2
2017: 7-37-4

Clearly going backwards.
Last edited by Bill Cobb on Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter."
Crash Davis

Corpulent Cat

Post by Corpulent Cat » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:41 pm

This is a truly terrible W/L record. I don't think it is attributable to our athletes.
A clear reflection on the administration.

citycat

Post by citycat » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:44 pm

The W-L record is attributable to the athletes to the extent they are not as good as their competition. It is not their fault they are put in a position with little chance to win.

I've followed Davidson sports closely since the fall of '73. We've never been consistently good in anything other than men's basketball, tennis, and golf. We were good in golf and tennis when they were largely upper-class non-scholarship sports. Once just about every school started taking golf and tennis seriously and offering scholarships, Davidson began to struggle in those sports.

I bet our best Fall Sport record was in 1992. The men's soccer team was great and the football team had a winning record. I don't know how women's soccer, volleyball, or field hockey did that Fall.

We are in a campaign to raise $425,000,000. I would hope some of that money would be devoted to athletic scholarships. No one has asked my wife and me (in person) for money and no one has told us where the money is going, but let's hope it allows us to recruit some athletes who can win a match/game or two.

Terry Holland became Davidson's Athletic Director in July 1990. It has taken until the mid-2010s to begin a campaign to raise significant money for athletic scholarships. We've had 3 Presidents who have given lip service to the importance of D1 athletics to Davidson. It is time for the alumni and fans to show what D1 athletics mean to us.

The baseball team had a great season and suddenly $5,600,000 appeared for scholarship aid. It is more common that the money comes first, then the scholarships, and third the wins, but no one is quarreling with the order of the baseball team's success.
Last edited by citycat on Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:37 pm

citycat wrote:We are in a campaign to raise $425,000,000. I would hope some of that money would be devoted to athletic scholarships. No one has asked my wife and me (in person) for money and no one has told us where the money is going, but let's hope it allows us to recruit some athletes who can win a match/game or two.
You can designate your giving if you like. That gives them three choices: They can accept the money and use it as designated. They can refuse the gift. They can use the money for something else and be subject to arrest.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ