"Florida man" naturally.
Bob in the huddle during timeout: "Don't listen to BDL!"
Matt: "Coach, that's BDF."
Bob: "What?! There's two of them!?"

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:34 pm

i77cat wrote:
Dr. Bliss wrote:
i77cat wrote:To be fair, I think he can perhaps still win the occasional golf tournament. Minor ones. Majors? Zero chance. The younger guys are too good and too hungry.
Zero chance? I think not.

His game looks pretty good to me. The short-game troubles seem to be behind him and the putter looks good, esp. from short range.

He needs to win a tournament, any tournament, so that he can feel what it feels like again to be in contention down the stretch.

I expect him to be a factor in the British Open this year.

All this said, the hype is wearisome. Don't golf writers have something else to write about?
I'm sticking with zero chance to win a major. I can't see him as a factor in the Open. Way too strong a field. And way too much attention from the media. They are falling all over a guy who is unlikely to finish with 20 strokes of the lead at The Masters.
Still zero. And Phil just joined him with his horrific gaffe at the 13th hole at Shinnecock. Shameful. He should withdraw. I'm curious what he has to say after the round. Odd behavior from a player who has always been a good sportsman.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:57 pm

i77cat wrote:
i77cat wrote:
Dr. Bliss wrote:
i77cat wrote:To be fair, I think he can perhaps still win the occasional golf tournament. Minor ones. Majors? Zero chance. The younger guys are too good and too hungry.

His game looks pretty good to me. The short-game troubles seem to be behind him and the putter looks good, esp. from short range.

He needs to win a tournament, any tournament, so that he can feel what it feels like again to be in contention down the stretch.

All this said, the hype is wearisome. Don't golf writers have something else to write about?
I'm sticking with zero chance to win a major. I can't see him as a factor in the Open. Way too strong a field. And way too much attention from the media. They are falling all over a guy who is unlikely to finish with 20 strokes of the lead at The Masters.
Still zero. And Phil just joined him with his horrific gaffe at the 13th hole at Shinnecock. Shameful. He should withdraw. I'm curious what he has to say after the round. Odd behavior from a player who has always been a good sportsman.
Carl Spackler would tell Phil to quit the game.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:04 pm

That'd be silly. He's still making great money, and he's good enough to win the lesser tournaments. And he'll set all kinds of records after he turns 50.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:15 pm

As usual, the US Open has turned into a farce. When will the USGA learn?

So Phil gave 'em the finger. I'm ok with it.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:17 pm

i77cat wrote:
i77cat wrote:
Dr. Bliss wrote:

Tiger had one bad hole (twice) that knocked him out of it. Watch for him in the British.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:49 pm

For the most part, I'm not a golf watching fan so take this with a grain of salt. I just watched the video, didn't see it as a big deal. Saw the interview with arthritis man, seems he is okay with what he did. I'm sure the big wigs in the golf world will put him on double secret probation.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:15 pm

Dr. Bliss wrote:
i77cat wrote:
i77cat wrote:
Dr. Bliss wrote:

Tiger had one bad hole (twice) that knocked him out of it. Watch for him in the British.
He could make the cut next month.

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:41 pm

i77cat wrote:
Dr. Bliss wrote:
i77cat wrote:
i77cat wrote:
Dr. Bliss wrote:

He could make the cut next month.
Top 10. Is that worth a beer to you?

Could even be top 5.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:53 pm

He can compete. He just can't win. I'll buy if he wins. I'll even buy if he finishes in the top 3. You buy if he isn't in the top 10.

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:04 pm

i77cat wrote:He can compete. He just can't win. I'll buy if he wins. I'll even buy if he finishes in the top 3. You buy if he isn't in the top 10.
Fair 'nuff.

I'm wondering about Phil. That was just totally out of character for him--although he can certainly be a know-it-all. I'm wondering if there is something else going on in his life that led to his frustrations boiling over.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:35 pm

It was weird. Looked like a 4-yr old playing Jungle Golf. The USGA screwed up today, but Phil screwed up worse. I don't know what he'll do tomorrow. Apologize? Apologize and withdraw? Play great and then donate his check? Double down and refuse to play in the 2019 US Open?

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:48 pm

i77cat wrote:It was weird. Looked like a 4-yr old playing Jungle Golf. The USGA screwed up today, but Phil screwed up worse. I don't know what he'll do tomorrow. Apologize? Apologize and withdraw? Play great and then donate his check? Double down and refuse to play in the 2019 US Open?
I think to fall on his sword might be the best thing in the long run. But he has this thing about needing to be right, so I doubt he'll do it.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:37 pm

Too late to be right. Can you imagine someone like Nicklaus doing something like that?

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:54 pm

i77cat wrote:Too late to be right. Can you imagine someone like Nicklaus doing something like that?
Tommy "Thunder" Bolt, maybe!