No limit on stupid

2018 A10 Champions!
Mephisto

Chip Hilton

Post by Mephisto » Fri May 04, 2018 4:28 pm

I must have read all of them at least three times each; glad DU has a connection to Clair Bee

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Sat May 05, 2018 1:39 pm

citycat wrote:Clair Bee's grandson attended Davidson and was a karate and/or judo champion.
He did not graduate.
she/hers

citycat

Post by citycat » Sat May 05, 2018 3:30 pm

That's very un-Hiltonian. The College wrote about him in articles in the Davidson Journal.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sun May 06, 2018 12:27 pm

"I'm hitting the ball well enough to contend, to win this golf tournament," said Woods

Uh. He's 11 strokes down and tied for 50th. Love the confidence, but that isn't a rational statement. Next week's Players will be fun. For the first two days, one of the groups is Woods, Mickelson, and Fowler.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Sun May 06, 2018 1:12 pm

i77cat wrote:"I'm hitting the ball well enough to contend, to win this golf tournament," said Woods

Uh. He's 11 strokes down and tied for 50th. Love the confidence, but that isn't a rational statement. Next week's Players will be fun. For the first two days, one of the groups is Woods, Mickelson, and Fowler.
Yep, complains the greens are too slow. Good thing he doesn't have to play on my home course. For about three weeks after the spring top dressing you needed a croquet mallet.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sun May 13, 2018 2:32 pm

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports ... 89524.html

"You don’t draft in the late 20s or worse, as the Spurs have done constantly over the past 20 years, and still mine the Tony Parker’s and Manu Ginobili’s unless you’re great at improving the guys you drafted."

If they don't have money for writer's, can't they find editor's? Mine were intentional.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Tue May 22, 2018 12:30 pm

"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue May 22, 2018 1:17 pm

That's funny. The censored version makes it dirty.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

citycat

Post by citycat » Tue May 22, 2018 1:20 pm

Do Jacob and his mother spell their last names differently, as the article does?

This is close, but doesn't match the 1996 attempt of a New Mexico resident to buy tickets to the Summer Olympics in Atlanta through the USOC's ticket office. The customer service representative told him he'd need to buy tickets through his country's Olympic Committee.

He tried to explain New Mexico was part of the USA to the representative and her supervisor without success. One of them, probably the supervisor, ended the discussion by saying, "Old Mexico, New Mexico, it doesn't matter. You need to contact your own country's Olympic Committee."

TOK

Post by TOK » Tue May 22, 2018 2:53 pm

Am I the only one who questions the significance of graduating summa cum laude when you are home schooled? Are you actually competing against anyone else?

:wink:

cat44

Post by cat44 » Tue May 22, 2018 4:33 pm

Don't know the significance of graduating summa cum laude from many high schools, let alone home school. But I do know the significance of a full academic scholarship.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue May 22, 2018 5:36 pm

It sounds like the award came from a home school consortium. Most likely tests were taken by him and a cadre of other participants, and he was so designated by those scores.

Home schooling can mean almost anything these days. A cousin doesn’t have a degree herself. She home schooled her two youngest, and they both did fine in college. Matthew is now a naval officer. Of course she is very smart, as are the kids. Heredity, you know. And we had several aunts who were teachers, so some of that must have rubbed off.

With organized sports, field trips, etc., the experience can be as enriching and about as social as school.

It’s not my style, but it works well for some. There’s a high school age cellist in Charlotte who is home schooled. He has time to practice hours a day. He got his first violin at age four. He wanted to take up the cello, so he got a downsized version six months later. In the Charlotte Youth Symphony he alternates years between the two instruments.

I also have another relative who homeschooled her daughter. My distant observation is that she needed much more socialization. I could easily be wrong, it is none of my business, and I don’t see any of them any more to see how things turned out. I just mention this as an example where things may not have worked so well.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Tue May 22, 2018 8:18 pm

A friend of mine coaches a HS mock trial team. They won the nationals last year and just got back from Reno where they did well again this year. They are all home schooled. As far as I can tell they spend more time on this than any subject. None play school sports or perform in band or chorus. This is their extracurricular activity.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue May 22, 2018 8:53 pm

In Union County I had a parishioner who had a write-in campaign running for school board. I stood just outside the restricted area at a Waxhaw polling place encouraging people to vote for him. I’m sure you have encountered obnoxious people like that before you vote. (This was not my precinct, which voted at my church. Somehow nobody objected. I was doing it as an individual, not representing the church, anyway.)

There were also a couple of homeschooled high school boys who were campaigning for some candidate as sort of a hands-on school project. They were very bright and were the sort of conservatives that come off like characters Dan Akroyd sometimes plays. They reminded me of a couple of my friends at DU.

I had some contact with women who organized activities for groups of the homeschooled. They wound up never using our facilities, but the conversations we had when they called to inquire about them were instructive to me about home schooling. They didn’t seem to fit my unfair stereotype at the time.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:37 am