No limit on stupid

2018 A10 Champions!
Steve Rodgers

Post by Steve Rodgers » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:07 pm

wildforthecats wrote:
Steve Rodgers wrote:Interesting discussion. I can remember when it was modestly offensive to state that women couldn't compete with men in basketball. Now I understand that stating the opposite is offensive. Perhaps Jay didn't get the new memo.
I'm offended by your offensive discussion concerning offense.
Laughed out loud.

MLC67

Post by MLC67 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:20 pm

I will NOT go where angels fear to tread, so I offer no opinion on this nuanced discussion whatsoever, in any shape or form. As a factual matter only, I recall some years ago the best woman golfer EVER completed in one or more golf tournaments against the male field. Because men typically and normally hit tee shots a farther distance than ladies, this woman champion played from shorter tees and acquited herself well, but did not win.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for men of good will to do nothing. Eddie Burke

Esse Quam Videri

nalotze

Post by nalotze » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:58 pm

I see a certain Dookie is at it again.

stan

Post by stan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:43 pm

slowcat95 wrote:
Steve Rodgers wrote:Interesting discussion. I can remember when it was modestly offensive to state that women couldn't compete with men in basketball. Now I understand that stating the opposite is offensive. Perhaps Jay didn't get the new memo.
He clearly didn't.
I think most observers are starting to realize that when you say, "hey girl, you're almost as good at a man," you're necessarily implying women are normally inferior.
There are many ways to measure success, and some ways men will generally appear better and other ways women will. Jay's comment ignored that nuance...and that was stupid. Just a dumb comment, because gender is so much more complicated than that women being good enough to be compared to men.
actually not. The UConn women's team is not talented enough at basketball to beat any men's team. Not even the worst team in DI. Not complicated at all. The way to measure success in a basketball game is by score. The Husky women cannot play men's basketball well enough to score more points in a game than any men's basketball team.

The reality is that the IMAC all-stars at UConn would likely crush the UConn women. I know when I coached football at UT and the Lady Vols were 1989 NCAA champions, a pick up team made up of football players would have won easily without bothering to practice.
"Then they started making 3s. A lot of 3s. We're talking more 3s than a bad dating site."

stan

Post by stan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:45 pm

The stupid has been strong in the last minute of the Duke-UNC game. whoa.
"Then they started making 3s. A lot of 3s. We're talking more 3s than a bad dating site."

nalotze

Post by nalotze » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:52 pm

stan wrote:The stupid has been strong in the last minute of the Duke-UNC game. whoa.
What happened?

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:20 pm

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/230 ... nd-augusta

I guess I'm the guy they are talking about. I wrote Tiger Woods off several years ago. The young guys who were working on their games while Tiger was destroying his are simply too good. He's an extraordinary competitor. I kinda expect him to injure himself again pushing too hard.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

cat44

Post by cat44 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:55 pm

Woods is 13 strokes back. Good luck.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:44 pm

To be fair, I think he can perhaps still win the occasional golf tournament. Minor ones. Majors? Zero chance. The younger guys are too good and too hungry.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:59 pm

i77cat wrote:To be fair, I think he can perhaps still win the occasional golf tournament. Minor ones. Majors? Zero chance. The younger guys are too good and too hungry.
Zero chance? I think not.

His game looks pretty good to me. The short-game troubles seem to be behind him and the putter looks good, esp. from short range.

He needs to win a tournament, any tournament, so that he can feel what it feels like again to be in contention down the stretch.

I expect him to be a factor in the British Open this year.

All this said, the hype is wearisome. Don't golf writers have something else to write about?
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:17 pm

Dr. Bliss wrote:
i77cat wrote:To be fair, I think he can perhaps still win the occasional golf tournament. Minor ones. Majors? Zero chance. The younger guys are too good and too hungry.

His game looks pretty good to me. The short-game troubles seem to be behind him and the putter looks good, esp. from short range.

He needs to win a tournament, any tournament, so that he can feel what it feels like again to be in contention down the stretch.

All this said, the hype is wearisome. Don't golf writers have something else to write about?
Yes, quit writing about you know who. 8-)

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:04 am

Dr. Bliss wrote:

I'm sticking with zero chance to win a major. I can't see him as a factor in the Open. Way too strong a field. And way too much attention from the media. They are falling all over a guy who is unlikely to finish with 20 strokes of the lead at The Masters.

rbarney

Tiger

Post by rbarney » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:11 pm

It should be noted that he is currently 13 strokes off the lead. Not going to win it, but better than 20 (depending on what Reed and McIlroy do this afternoon.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:11 pm

Tiger has always been great at doing unlikely things. 53 guys teed it up today. Tiger is currently tied for 32nd. He's a fantastic golfer. He's just not as good as the top guys.

rbarney

Tiger

Post by rbarney » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:18 pm

He did say he was going to take a break to work on his game (next scheduled tournament in D.C. this summer). I would not bet against him in any particular tournament, but I don't find it advisable to install him as a favorite after three or four appearances on the tour. He did make the cut on Friday and was not the worst of those that remained. If his presence helps the tour, God bless him. However, looking at the crowds and excitement following Reed, Spieth, Fowler and others, I do not think the PGA tour is in danger of collapsing without him.