No limit on stupid

2018 A10 Champions!
catnhat

Post by catnhat » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:48 am

Athletics will not be de-emphasized. Too much money. Too much (usually positive) attention.

How long until we see a hotel close enough to Kenan and the Dean Dome to grab some more money like Texas A&M?

BDL

Post by BDL » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:51 am

slowcat95 wrote:
i77cat wrote:The best case has always been that the school would lose accreditation, lose all federal dollars, etc. But that won't happen. They'll escape with some harsh words and a wink. Evil thrives.
As a UNC alum and current employee, I'd call loss of accreditation a worst-case-scenario. It's a very good school that provides a solid education to 99.9% of its students and produces a wealth of new knowledge from its federally (and privately) funded research. A loss of accreditation would have far-reaching consequences for an untold number of people (students, staff, NC citizens, etc), none of whom have had anything to do with athletics.
I think its also important to point that many Davidson alums attend UNC for graduate school (especially For Law school as I've been told). The relationship/graduate school pipeline we have with them (which many of the pre-professional societies emphasize) is critical to many Davidson grads. So loss of accreditation wouldnt just hurt the kids who go there and people who work there (many of whom did nothing wrong) it would also hurt Davidson students in a sense as well. It would also hurt North Carolina as a whole pretty hard, as its flagship university would no longer be a viable option for residents who NEED to go to an in state option.

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:16 am

Good point, BDL. And to clarify, I'm first and foremost a Davidson alum, but have two graduate degrees from UNC. A loss of accreditation and/or federal funding would eliminate my job (and the jobs of thousands of other NC citizens, and, as BDL points out, hundreds of fellow Wildcats).

I'd give up the athletic dept in a heartbeat. I imagine the large majority of my colleagues here feel the same.
she/hers

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:33 am

My favorite line in the article is
called the use of the term academic fraud in the accreditation report a "typographical error."
As I so often say, autocorrect can make you say what you didn't Nintendo. But I can't imagine what someone plausibly might have typed that would be converted by autocorrect into "academic fraud." Suddenly lapsing into German with "akademische Freude"? I don't think so.

Anyhow, even I would think that loss of kibali would be extreme. That would be like trying to hit a gnat with a sledge hammer and missing the gnat. It would be an embarrassment to the state of North Carolina as a whole, and we already have the General Assembly for that.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:36 am

My dream: UNC basketball becomes to a club sport.

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:49 am

wildforthecats wrote:My dream: UNC basketball becomes to a club sport.
And one of their players transfers to DU.
she/hers

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:04 pm

I'll stick with loss of accreditation being the best-case scenario. Not for the school, of course. Not for graduates or employees. Just for those who like to see cheaters and liars punished. There won't be major house cleaning. The dirty house worked perfectly. It accomplished the unstated, but central, goals.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:57 pm

As I so often say, autocorrect can make you say what you didn't Nintendo. But I can't imagine what someone plausibly might have typed that would be converted by autocorrect into "academic fraud." Suddenly lapsing into German with "akademische Freude"? I don't think so.
Maybe it was dictated using Dragon. When I first got the medical version on my office computer, I started off training my Dragon by dictating the Pledge of Allegiance, and it came out "... with liver indigestion for all." No telling what the Swahili version might do.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:19 pm

People may still think that the Republican, Richard Stans, was a Watergate burglar, and wonder why we pledge allegiance to him.

Back when I worked with Webelos on the Citizen badge, they had to recite and explain the Pledge. I was consistently told that "indivisible" means you can't see it.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:59 am

"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:19 pm

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... t-in-china

Wonder what kind of sanctions they will face from the coach/team/university?
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

dorp

Post by dorp » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:21 pm

Dr. Bliss wrote:https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... t-in-china

UNC gives them an A in International Economics.

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:22 pm

Press conference scheduled with coach/AD to announce player punishment and sanctions against China
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

nalotze

Post by nalotze » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:02 pm

collegecoach8502 wrote:

Press conference scheduled with coach/AD to announce player punishment and sanctions against China
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... g-incident

"They will have to earn their way back," UCLA coach Steve Alford said during a news conference Wednesday.

One wonders how they can do that. I imagine a good practice or two will do it, sadly.

citycat

Post by citycat » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:36 pm

UCLA plays Central Arkansas tonight and South Carolina State Friday. These Bruins will have learned their lesson by Monday, when UCLA plays Creighton.

Especially since the Blue Jays upset Northwestern tonight.