No limit on stupid

2018 A10 Champions!
slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:20 am

This...
Reminded me of this...
CatsUpNorth wrote:Posting something in the "No Limit on Stupid" thread when people of the same community from the same college community disagree should be a sign that the topic does not belong there. Just because I might think something that, for example, our president does that is beyond the pale, I wouldn't consider posting it here because I assume there are other members of this community who support that president, and it would clearly be an attempt to anger or inflame board members. The same goes for posts that exclaim "why are people so sensitive," which have the same effect when clearly other members have a different perspective.

It seems like this thread was meant to be for dumb sports stories or making fun of the tar holes but has evolved into something worse, and should be evidence that while there is of course a time and place for these types of conversations, it isn't on a board where we celebrate the school and sports teams we admire in a thread designated for things that are "Stupid."

Just my thoughts.
she/hers

TiredCat88

Post by TiredCat88 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:21 am

Wow, people will look for anything these days...that is, one of the stupidest things I have read.

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:00 am

This is one of those “posted without comment” things meant to see who will be provoked into saying something disagreeable or inflammatory. Here’s how the thread will proceed:

There will be a series of follow-up posts either ridiculing or supporting the offended party, though more than likely, these posters will have little life experience to allow them to truly understand the perspective of the offended. Those who attempt to speak up on behalf of the offended, or at least to request the board collectively try to express more compassion and empathy for those in different life situations, will be privately thanked but publicly belittled. D Block may or may not be invoked. A few completely uninformed insults will be hurled; many others will be implied. There will be no ultimate consensus, and very little mind-broadening by any participants, because that’s the way the internet works. Finally, Stevelee will swoop in and gently but firmly change the subject via some sort of sermon- or music-based post. But until then, we will all come off as buffoons to each other and to the outside world.

There, I saved us at least 2 pages of looking stupid.
she/hers

MakeIt-TakeIt Cat

Post by MakeIt-TakeIt Cat » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:15 am

Creating victims and offended parties by innocuous posts is good for the victimhood industrial complex. Why complain?

I'm guessing I77cat chose this section of the forum for the post because it fits well here.
"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

Rudy2011

Post by Rudy2011 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:18 am

Making SlowCat look like Nostradamus
Carthago delenda est

I say we drink the wine, eat the dogs, and use the papers for musket wadding.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:20 am

slowcat95 wrote:
This is one of those “posted without comment” things meant to see who will be provoked into saying something disagreeable or inflammatory. Here’s how the thread will proceed:

There will be a series of follow-up posts either ridiculing or supporting the offended party, though more than likely, these posters will have little life experience to allow them to truly understand the perspective of the offended. Those who attempt to speak up on behalf of the offended, or at least to request the board collectively try to express more compassion and empathy for those in different life situations, will be privately thanked but publicly belittled. D Block may or may not be invoked. A few completely uninformed insults will be hurled; many others will be implied. There will be no ultimate consensus, and very little mind-broadening by any participants, because that’s the way the internet works. Finally, Stevelee will swoop in and gently but firmly change the subject via some sort of sermon- or music-based post. But until then, we will all come off as buffoons to each other and to the outside world.

There, I saved us at least 2 pages of looking stupid.

Living in this world is not easy. Folks can be offended every minute of the day if they chose to let everything bother them. In fact, you may have offended Stevelee with your home spun Andy Taylor analogy.

8-)

MakeIt-TakeIt Cat

Post by MakeIt-TakeIt Cat » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:20 am

Rudy2011 wrote:Making SlowCat look like Nostradamus
You missed her intent.
"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:24 am

MakeIt-TakeIt Cat wrote:
Rudy2011 wrote:Making SlowCat look like Nostradamus
You missed her intent.
No, he got my point.
she/hers

MakeIt-TakeIt Cat

Post by MakeIt-TakeIt Cat » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:28 am

Readers can decide ... Rudy is one of many.

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:33 am

MakeIt-TakeIt Cat wrote:Readers can decide ... Rudy is one of many.
Actually, they don't need to decide for themselves. Because on a stroke of good luck, I'm actually a bit of an authority on my own intentions.
she/hers

chantillycat

Post by chantillycat » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:50 am

slowcat95 wrote:This is one of those “posted without comment” things meant to see who will be provoked into saying something disagreeable or inflammatory.
MakeIt-TakeIt Cat wrote:You missed her intent.
I'm really behind the times here. I can't even read people's minds in person, much less over the internet.
"... coming out of the murky, dreary jungle of untutored mediocrity."

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:58 am

ChantillyCat wrote:
slowcat95 wrote:This is one of those “posted without comment” things meant to see who will be provoked into saying something disagreeable or inflammatory.
MakeIt-TakeIt Cat wrote:You missed her intent.
I'm really behind the times here. I can't even read people's minds in person, much less over the internet.
Guilty as charged. Yes, I presumed to know that the hobby lobby post was made with the intent of provocation. I'm sorry.

Even so, however, my prediction appears to be coming true.

And my apologies to Stevelee. If I offended you, I pledge to listen to your perspective with an open mind and open heart.
she/hers

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:31 am

Giraffes are selfish.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:34 am

stevelee wrote:Giraffes are selfish.
Just go have a Mr Cookie bar, you will be fine.

dorp

Post by dorp » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:57 am

It's like a headline from The Onion- "Man forced to read internet message board against his will".