Prayers for Lee Sargent

The best posts to appear on DavidsonCats.Com.
Catsanddogslivingtogether

Post by Catsanddogslivingtogether » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:35 pm

Always got a kick out of the fact that regardless of the super market aisle, bleacher, or public space in which I bumped into Lee, that rather than waste time with pleasantries, the conversation took off mid-stream, and it was all Cats basketball. Like plunging off a bridge into a fast moving stream of observations on the latest recruit, challenges of the next opponent, the occasional insider nugget he thought I might not be privy to but would love to be included on, etc. There are people you run into from 50 feet and immediately feel a pang of internal anxiety as to how you might fill even a short conversation, never had that problem with Lee. I suspect he was having that ongoing conversation about all things Cats in his head, and relished switching on the audio feed mid-thought when he crossed paths with a kindred soul who understood that acceptable protocol was to skip the small talk and proceed immediately to commentary on Stephen's latest stat line or the like. RIP Lee.

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:06 pm

Catsanddogslivingtogether wrote:Always got a kick out of the fact that regardless of the super market aisle, bleacher, or public space in which I bumped into Lee, that rather than waste time with pleasantries, the conversation took off mid-stream, and it was all Cats basketball. Like plunging off a bridge into a fast moving stream of observations on the latest recruit, challenges of the next opponent, the occasional insider nugget he thought I might not be privy to but would love to be included on, etc. There are people you run into from 50 feet and immediately feel a pang of internal anxiety as to how you might fill even a short conversation, never had that problem with Lee. I suspect he was having that ongoing conversation about all things Cats in his head, and relished switching on the audio feed mid-thought when he crossed paths with a kindred soul who understood that acceptable protocol was to skip the small talk and proceed immediately to commentary on Stephen's latest stat line or the like. RIP Lee.
+1
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:16 pm

Great stuff...

Did Gatto hire Lee?
The earth is round. Two plus two equals four.

~Tip well.

captneff26

Post by captneff26 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:39 am

A very sad day, indeed. A very fine man who left an outstanding legacy.

I remember Lee always chatting up my parents when they would come down from Ohio for a number of my games. He was always overly complimentary of me when talking with them. He left out the parts where he yelled at me often for hitting his wide receivers too hard during certain portions of practice. I recall him having an excellent smart-alecky response to my smart-alecky question of, "Just how fast is three-quarters speed anyway?" Wish I could remember what he said, but I do recall that I had no comeback for it.

Not sure how many years it was between Lee Sargent sightings for me, but it had been a significant number when I saw him in Chattanooga when the Cats came to play there, and I said "Hi Lee." He recognized me immediately and started talking just as if we had walked off the practice field an hour earlier.

He will be missed, and his family remains in my prayers.

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:30 pm

captneff26 wrote:A very sad day, indeed. A very fine man who left an outstanding legacy.

I remember Lee always chatting up my parents when they would come down from Ohio for a number of my games. He was always overly complimentary of me when talking with them. He left out the parts where he yelled at me often for hitting his wide receivers too hard during certain portions of practice. I recall him having an excellent smart-alecky response to my smart-alecky question of, "Just how fast is three-quarters speed anyway?" Wish I could remember what he said, but I do recall that I had no comeback for it.

Not sure how many years it was between Lee Sargent sightings for me, but it had been a significant number when I saw him in Chattanooga when the Cats came to play there, and I said "Hi Lee." He recognized me immediately and started talking just as if we had walked off the practice field an hour earlier.

He will be missed, and his family remains in my prayers.
I believe it was a year this past weekend.

Good man. Still doesn't seem quite the same looking over at his seats in Baker and not seeing him sitting there. I look forward to following his son on the golf course again this spring. Somehow it will feel like Lee is walking the fairways right next to you.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."