In Game - Wilmington

The best posts to appear on DavidsonCats.Com.
catseye

Post by catseye » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:18 pm

stan wrote:Will is 6-5, 194 and isn't noted for his vertical. There are rebounds on missed FTs he simply isn't physically capable of getting, hard work or not. If they elevate over him to grab a longer rebound and get the put back, all the hard work all game long isn't going to save the game.

I've never seen Frank fail to work hard on the defensive glass. Might be an interesting experiment to put Will in the first slot and Frank in the 2d and shoot up 20 missed FTs in a 5 on 5 drill. Then swap with Frank on defense and Will on offense. I bet Frank gets more defensive boards and more offensive putbacks than Will. Nothing against Will. Just the difference in height, weight, and wingspan.
Agreed. This was the point I was trying to make on the post-game thread. Reigel is clearly a hard worker and a solid fundamentals guy but 6'5" is not 6'10" and he just doesn't offer the post offense that Frank does. Put him in at the 3 but not at the 4 or 5.
"He scores 30 points and he thinks he can call me Bob."

kevin mcmahon

Post by kevin mcmahon » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:19 pm

Agree with the above and even more so defensively. Frank needs those minutes early in this season or he'll be lost. Reigel is probably playing better then FBE now and is more deserving but there is a much bigger upside with Frank. On another note, I'm really starting to enjoy watching Clint "the pearl" Mann's spin move.
"Microphones are for Navy guys"... Ranger H.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:22 am

The masked man will be the unmasked Mann very soon.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:36 pm

wildforthecats wrote:The masked man will be the unmasked Mann very soon.
I'm glad for him, and maybe the people around me are tired of my occasional remark when Clint does something unusually spectacular: "Who was that masked man?"
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:07 pm

Proof that someone is a highbrow- they can hear the William Tell Overture and not think of the Lone Ranger.

WildCock

Post by WildCock » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:36 pm

catnhat wrote:Proof that someone is a highbrow- they can hear the William Tell Overture and not think of the Lone Ranger.
I'm afraid that that's a joke that only applies to us geezers. Many young people today have never heard of the Lone Ranger.
Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin

catsfan02

Post by catsfan02 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:52 pm

WildCock wrote:
catnhat wrote:Proof that someone is a highbrow- they can hear the William Tell Overture and not think of the Lone Ranger.
I'm afraid that that's a joke that only applies to us geezers. Many young people today have never heard of the Lone Ranger.
(In my head, I was thinking "highbrow or under 60".)

71cat

Post by 71cat » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:35 pm

Since we seem to be going there,one of my earliest memories from, say, 1954 is my mother sitting me on my rocking horse, with my cowboy hat and my Fanner 50's, to watch the Lone Ranger.
"That little sucker can shoot, man!"
Driesell, C. "Lefty" (1931-)

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:48 pm

WildCock wrote:I'm afraid that that's a joke that only applies to us geezers. Many young people today have never heard of the Lone Ranger.
This morning it hit me that I might be bordering on "Geezerhood" when the wife asked if I wanted another cup of coffee. I replied "just warm it up" and quickly added "in the microwave" lest she fill the remainder of the cup with hot coffee from the carafe.

On the good side, though, I did have to Google "Fanner 50's"....

JCDC

Post by JCDC » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:57 pm

should we talk about Davy Crockett hat and camping gear?

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:13 pm

I can hear the bulk of it without thinking of the Lone Ranger until the finale, just before the pause where I get the barely resistible urge to shout "Hi-Yo Silver."

What I can't do is hear "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" without getting the image in mind of Mickey Mouse in an ill-fitting robe.

Mendelssohn's "Fingals Cave Overture" was in so many contexts as incidental music that the last thing I'm likely to think of when I hear it is a cave in the Hebrides.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

bobmckellar

Post by bobmckellar » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:52 pm

Once The Boss was taking home a child from her kindergarten class. She had the local Public Radio station on playing classical music.

The kid said, "Oh, you have cartoon music in your car!"
The best thing Davidson ever did was to admit women to classy up the place.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:00 pm

JCDC wrote:should we talk about Davy Crockett hat and camping gear?
When Fess Parker died I added a Davy Crockett double feature to my Netflix queue, and got the disc and watched the movies a few weeks ago. By today's standards they seem hopelessly PC. But that's not completely inappropriate, given how Crockett really did have profound disagreements with President Jackson on the treatment of Native Americans.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

stan

Post by stan » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:46 pm

WildCock wrote:
"What's with this 'we' stuff Kimosabe?"
"Then they started making 3s. A lot of 3s. We're talking more 3s than a bad dating site."

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:08 am

You're a real geezer (like me) if your memories of cowboy shows include "Bobby Benson and His B-Bar-B Riders."

http://radiooutofthepast.org/sites/defa ... -18-07.mp3

See if you can identify the famous actor who reads the part of Windy Wales and later co-starred in one of the alltime great TV shows.

Bee-Barr-r-r-r-r-Bee-e-e-e-e!
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''