In Game - Wilmington

The best posts to appear on DavidsonCats.Com.
Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:48 pm

stan wrote:Graveline,

the dance team members in the photo look like they are all ht/wt proportional. That can be pleasing. Especially as compared to some other squads in the conf where proportionality seems optional. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
One seems somewhat more "proportional" than the others.

Nice avatar, Graveline.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

chantillycat

Post by chantillycat » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:52 pm

ChantillyCat wrote:
catnhat wrote:One of their bigs had fouled out. How big were the guys they had in then?
Williams, their other big who gave us problems, was the shooter. Mostly a small lineup other than him, although their 3rd big, Wilson, might have been in.

Frank in the game at that point makes a lot of sense.
Checked their Live Stats, their big guy Wilson did check into the game for those FTs.

bobmckellar

Post by bobmckellar » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:54 pm

I didn't want to take up game time, but I'd like to thank JCDC and Bill for the kind words about the Threadstart, and some others for PM's.

That was pretty much a true story, although I imagine most of your knew that.

I also suspect one or two of you have been there. I was thinking that as I wrote it.
The best thing Davidson ever did was to admit women to classy up the place.

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:59 pm

bobmckellar wrote:I didn't want to take up game time, but I'd like to thank JCDC and Bill for the kind words about the Threadstart, and some others for PM's.

I also suspect one or two of you have been there. I was thinking that as I wrote it.
I had a starring role in that scene in several sequels.
Last edited by Waitress on Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The earth is round. Two plus two equals four.

~Tip well.

stan

Post by stan » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:59 pm

Yuck. That sure doesn't look a defense with the game on the line.

Gotta move feet better. No help. No screening off. Some standing and watching instead of fighting for rebound.

I'm glad it's too fuzzy to tell numbers.

Yuck.
"Then they started making 3s. A lot of 3s. We're talking more 3s than a bad dating site."

bobmckellar

Re: In Game - Wilmington

Post by bobmckellar » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:59 pm

Waitress wrote:
bobmckellar wrote:It was a Corvair Monza, 4 speed two door.
Louise Nelson used to joke that she always offered to pick up Ralph Nader when he would speak at Davidson. She drove a Corvair.
For the first few years, beginning 1960, the Corvair was pretty dreadful. GM was trying to build a VW, not a Porsche. By 1964 it was a decent little car, by typical US standards for reliability and design. If GM had continued development instead of conceding defeat, they might have had something.

Instead, they resolved to never ever try anything new again. Except for bankruptcy, which I suppose was a new experience.
The best thing Davidson ever did was to admit women to classy up the place.

stan

Post by stan » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:03 pm

bobmckellar wrote:
Waitress wrote:
Louise Nelson used to joke that she always offered to pick up Ralph Nader when he would speak at Davidson. She drove a Corvair.
For the first few years, beginning 1960, the Corvair was pretty dreadful. GM was trying to build a VW, not a Porsche. By 1964 it was a decent little car, by typical US standards for reliability and design. If GM had continued development instead of conceding defeat, they might have had something.

Instead, they resolved to never ever try anything new again. Except for bankruptcy, which I suppose was a new experience.
Especially the way they did it. Never been another "bankruptcy" like it.
"Then they started making 3s. A lot of 3s. We're talking more 3s than a bad dating site."

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:06 pm

bobmckellar wrote:
Waitress wrote:

Dr. Nelson believed GM conceded the small car market to the Japanese when it dropped the Corvair. She seemed to partially blame Nader, if I was reading her correctly.

Eager to get the ring-side report on Jake, Clint, De'Mon's fouls.
The earth is round. Two plus two equals four.

~Tip well.

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:13 pm

When I was 14, I had a 15-year-old friend down the street who had a Corvair. He wasn't legal to drive yet, so we would go over and sit in the car with him as he drove up and down his driveway. The driveway was no more than 100 ft. long and had a right angle turn. Friend could get three gears by the end, then stand the thing on its head to keep from going into the street.

The parents didn't like that friend much. Thought he was dangerous.

He was. Died in prison after a crime spree knocking off convenience stores.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

Splinter Faction

Post by Splinter Faction » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:24 pm

My minister's kid had an electric blue Corvair Monza convertible with all the performance options. That car was extremely cool.
"I try to represent the un-sloppy way as much as I can." (Coach)

"Whatever is preserved grows enigmatic; time, and the pressures of interpretation . . . will see to that." (Frank Kermode)

"as allways, immage is everything" (graveline)

stan

Post by stan » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:30 pm

Droney had 4 assists and 0 turnovers in 31 mins. I like that. A three and 5 boards is nice too. Don't like the 0-1 at the line. I assume it was a missed front end of a 1 and 1, but it's the only thing on an otherwise solid line.

WildCock

Post by WildCock » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:51 pm

bobmckellar wrote:I didn't want to take up game time, but I'd like to thank JCDC and Bill for the kind words about the Threadstart, and some others for PM's.

If you'll check the DVD I sent you last year, Bob, you'll recall that I not only saw that movie, I wrote a song about it.
Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin

MadelastCut'67

Post by MadelastCut'67 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:41 pm

While I had many great profs at DU, two I deem to be among the immortals - George Labban for humanities and Cora Nelson for Economics. You'se guys may call her Louise, but I am pleased that she and I were in a more informal relationship. The first day of class she informed us that she always parked her Corvair in a parking space signed for the Science pfofs, as Eco. was w/o, doubt a bona fide science. She was the absolute best.

Wildcat92

Post by Wildcat92 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:56 pm

Dr. Bliss wrote:
stan wrote:
ChantillyCat wrote:
stan wrote:
stan wrote:I put in Frank and Al for the FTs
Were Frank and Ali in there?
No. Cz and Will had the inside lane spots for us.
Gotta question that. The only way we lose is for them to miss the FT and score on the rebound. Frank has to be in one of those inside spots. Whether Ali or not, I don't know enough about his rebounding. But I would want him in the 3d spot just for his length if the shooter clangs it badly.
Big yep.
Nope. CZ and Will were our hardest workers on the boards all game. The guys tgey gad in at the end were in the 6'7 range.
"When Davidson’s offense is clicking, the reads upon reads of its motion offense unfold like some masterful concerto." - SLAM Magazine. 10/27/15

stan

Post by stan » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:28 pm

Will is 6-5, 194 and isn't noted for his vertical. There are rebounds on missed FTs he simply isn't physically capable of getting, hard work or not. If they elevate over him to grab a longer rebound and get the put back, all the hard work all game long isn't going to save the game.

I've never seen Frank fail to work hard on the defensive glass. Might be an interesting experiment to put Will in the first slot and Frank in the 2d and shoot up 20 missed FTs in a 5 on 5 drill. Then swap with Frank on defense and Will on offense. I bet Frank gets more defensive boards and more offensive putbacks than Will. Nothing against Will. Just the difference in height, weight, and wingspan.