BRYAN ADRIAN

The best posts to appear on DavidsonCats.Com.
Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Tue May 11, 2010 5:20 pm

Thanks, Prophet. That was perfectly told.

I do hope that Bryan's family members visit this board from time to time. That story was a special gift to them, and to us.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue May 11, 2010 6:15 pm

I won't never write agin.

(I once saw a clip of Luciano Pavarotti and Loretta Lynn standing at a piano. As the pianist played, Pavarotti cranked up his amazing voice. He finished and the camera moved to a gape-mouthed, stunned Loretta. She said, "I won't never sang agin." )
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Tue May 11, 2010 6:39 pm

Glad she went back on her word.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SHAX4z4sLg
The earth is round. Two plus two equals four.

~Tip well.

kevin mcmahon

Post by kevin mcmahon » Tue May 11, 2010 7:18 pm

Prophet wrote:When I was a freshman in 69-70, I discovered a sanctuary late at night high in the rafters of Johnston Gym . It could be a decent place to catch up on some reading when my carrel among the stacks in the old library became unbearable, as it sometimes did. On more than a few occasions, as I climbed toward my destination and even before I entered the arena itself, I could hear the distinctive sounds of Bryan Adrian pounding the ball against the floor. No other basketball sounds quite like them. Sure enough, when the dribbler came into view in the dim light, it was Bryan all by himself. It was difficult to pay too much attention to what I was supposed to be reading because Bryan's solitary presence and dedication was so captivating. Everything about his appearance and style was unorthodox, and yet so precise and disciplined. High arching pounding dribbles, executed with so much force that it seemed more an isometric exercise, followed a second later by hundreds and hundreds of the softest ones, as he pivoted and whirled. Routine after routine, where it seemed that the contest was to see how close he could match his deft footwork to the sidelines while dribbling with both hands in every direction and without ever once touching the line. I can tell you, this could go on and on for an hour and a half or more, and it seemed he would hardly ever take a shot. When he did toss it up, it would almost never touch the rim. Johnston Gym at such moments was so quiet, it was like standing on the rim of the Grand Canyon, and when one of his rare shots ripped through the net, there were echoes through the rafters. To this day I have felt as though I was eavesdropping through the window of Van Gogh's humble studio while the strange and lonely artist was rendering sketches for his next masterpiece.
That was real. Thank you.
"Microphones are for Navy guys"... Ranger H.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue May 11, 2010 7:47 pm

Procedural/technical question:

Is there some option other than sticky to keep this thread from scrolling off the board eventually, say a "best of" archive or something, perhaps with permission from the Observer to preserve their article, too?

I don't think this needs to be at the top of the list always, but it is too good to let go the way of recycled electrons.

Bill Cobb
Site Admin

Post by Bill Cobb » Tue May 11, 2010 7:54 pm

Move by request to "Hall of Fame".
"I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter."
Crash Davis