BRYAN ADRIAN

The best posts to appear on DavidsonCats.Com.
jjnolan

BRYAN ADRIAN

Post by jjnolan » Fri May 07, 2010 5:24 pm

TO ALL:

The Bryan Adrian story will be in Sunday's paper...you'll be able to find it on www.charlotteobserver.com
Thanks for all your help.
David

David Scott/Staff Writer
The Charlotte Observer/Charlotteobserver.com

MikeMaloy15

Post by MikeMaloy15 » Fri May 07, 2010 5:35 pm

We look forward to reading it.

On the off chance that there is a factual error, look for a post from a guy who uses the name "wildforthecats." Please do not provoke him by attempting artistic license with regard to the weather on February 11, 1970. If the date rings no bell, you're halfway to the doghouse already.

WildCock

Post by WildCock » Fri May 07, 2010 5:43 pm

MikeMaloy15 wrote: February 11, 1970. If the date rings no bell, you're halfway to the doghouse already.
I'd say already in the doghouse, with boards nailed over the door.

Among Gamecock fans, Bryan Adrian has the same middle initial that Bucky Dent has among Red Sox fans (sorry, Splinter).
Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin

citycat

Post by citycat » Sat May 08, 2010 11:09 pm

The story is up on The Observer's website. Attention must be paid.

Eric G. Wruck

Post by Eric G. Wruck » Sat May 08, 2010 11:37 pm

citycat wrote:The story is up on The Observer's website. Attention must be paid.
A very good story (Adrian). He always struck me as a recluse, & I guess I was right, contrary to my hopes. Good to read that McKillop had reached out to Adrian. Only typo I saw was Jerry Conboy's name spelled as Convoy. RIP, Bryan.

Bill Cobb
Site Admin

Post by Bill Cobb » Sun May 09, 2010 8:02 am

Thanks David. An excellent read.

I bet it was a tough one to research - Bryan apparently didn't leave much of a trail.

I don't know if I ever saw him play. The Cats were in Greenville to play ECU in Holland's 2nd year - I was probably there but I don't remember.

An interesting, incredibly talented, intelligent, and most peculiar man.
"I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter."
Crash Davis

kevin mcmahon

Post by kevin mcmahon » Sun May 09, 2010 8:36 am

Great article especially for us 21st century fans.
"Microphones are for Navy guys"... Ranger H.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Sun May 09, 2010 8:40 am

Back in 1986, I worked part time at the Harris Y in Charlotte. I remember seeing him there and bringing up his most famous game. He seemed uncomfortable with the attention. Over the years I would see him from time to time at different stores in Matthews NC. I decided not to bother him these other times.

TOK

Post by TOK » Sun May 09, 2010 9:17 am

After reading the article, I was left with one big question. What did Mr. Adrian do for a living? Was he able to support himself putting on basketball camps?

I guess some people withdraw from others by their own choice, but it read as a sad story. I don't send Christmas cards anymore, but I at least open the ones sent to me. Very sad for him and his family.

Reed '74

Post by Reed '74 » Sun May 09, 2010 12:33 pm

The fact that Bryan had three additional surgeries says to me that he was right and the doctors who pronounced his knee well in 1970 were wrong. He may have decided the coaches and doctors were just trying to get him back on the court and use his talents instead of really getting the knee well. Given his distant personality there was probably no one who could convince him otherwise. That probably explains why he didn't take Auerbach's offer. He knew he couldn't perform at the level he had known in 1969-70 and didn't trust anyone to help him ... or to believe it was more than a psychological issue.

The ability to diagnose and treat knee injuries has revolutionized with development of new arthroscopic techniques and MRI over the past 25-30 years. In 1970 it's likely one of Bryan's injuries could have been diagnosed and repaired while another bone or cartilage injury was missed and resulted in persistent pain and the need for additional surgeries.

catsfan02

Post by catsfan02 » Sun May 09, 2010 2:30 pm

kevin mcmahon wrote:Great article especially for us 21st century fans.
Agreed. It's weird that I'd never even heard of an NBA-caliber Davidson College basketball player, even if he was at school 30 years before me.

Thanks to David and the Observer for running this article.

Davidson Dad

Post by Davidson Dad » Sun May 09, 2010 6:44 pm

I came to Charlotte in 1985 when I finished by time in the Army. I have noticed those basketball camp signs around for years. The story is now known. I guess we are all made differently, or else the world would be boring, and we should not judge others. He obviously cared about helping youth and as a teacher I can respect that. May he find the peace and quiet he seemed to desire in a greater place.
"Intelligence plus character-that is the goal of true education."
― Martin Luther King Jr.

94cat

Post by 94cat » Mon May 10, 2010 12:24 pm

Wow. I knew nothing about him at all until reading that article. It's amazing that someone can totally withdraw like that. Not even his siter knew he was sick....very sad.
"Tyreke Evans ... WON'T be the best player from his class. Such an honor applies to another gem playing in northern California -- Stephen Curry. "

MikeMaloy15

Post by MikeMaloy15 » Mon May 10, 2010 12:33 pm

I'm really glad the article was written, because it's wrong (and perhaps a personal failing on wftc's and my part) that knowledgeable Davidson fans* did not know who Bryan Adrian was.

* The one-time Martin Ides thing aside, 94 is definitely a knowledgeable fan of Wildcat hoop.

Reed '74

Post by Reed '74 » Mon May 10, 2010 12:35 pm

And 94cat says he was a history major!