Up next: Point

The 2020-21 Pioneer Football League CHAMPIONS! NCAA Playoff Team
i77cat

Re: Up next: Point

Post by i77cat » Sat Sep 14, 2024 11:03 pm

12-42 final.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sat Sep 14, 2024 11:06 pm

I can’t get the stats to come up. It sounded like my guy Mari had a good game, and his brother A.J. got a couple carries in the fourth quarter.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sat Sep 14, 2024 11:10 pm

207 yards and 2 touchdowns for Mari. 19 yards for AJ.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

MLC67

Post by MLC67 » Sun Sep 15, 2024 10:26 am

My ESPN+ telecast was horrible, blurry 90% of the time with clarity of focus mostly between plays. Did everyone experience this dreadful presentation or was this just me?
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for men of good will to do nothing. Eddie Burke

Esse Quam Videri

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sun Sep 15, 2024 10:41 am

I saw the game in person, but I'm watching the ESPN+ production now.

I want to see what Durkin's injury looks like on film. Looked bad live. And just a day after JP's excellent feature about him. Maybe we should have sent that out a day earlier and avoided Friday the 13th.
https://davidsonwildcats.com/news/2024/ ... in-reserve
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sun Sep 15, 2024 10:57 am

The play he came out on was at just under the 5 minute mark of the first quarter. Non-contact. It was a weak, inaccurate throw to the tight end. What I missed live was the play about a minute earlier. Durkin got a first down on 2nd and 4 with a nice run. He got tackled on the right shoulder and a defensive lineman landed on him pretty hard. He came up rubbing his right shoulder. I hope it is short term.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:26 am

Yes, that ESPN+ production is weak. Poor work on the cameras and the microphones. Really sloppy, especially with having replayed audio looping back into the live audio. The coverage at the beginning of the third quarter was particularly bad. Room for improvement.

Game day experience was good. Mooresville's band was excellent, even though they were performing against a smaller, quieter crowd than what they are used to. Concessions were free of the long lines that we had for Catawba. But they don't take cash? Fortunately the folks at the tent I visited accepted cash. Good to see Coach Fagg, as always. Seems like the historical problems with the referee's microphone is fixed. We have a lot of people dedicated to keeping fans out of the black seats. Wrong approach. Especially when we have a tiny crowd, we should concentrate our fans towards the middle of the stands. The grass hill is awesome. I sat there for the Catawba game. Last night, a buddy gave a premium ticket so I sat near midfield.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:34 am

Official attendance was 2288. Catawba attendance was 4477.

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Sun Sep 15, 2024 1:18 pm

i77cat wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:26 am
Yes, that ESPN+ production is weak. Poor work on the cameras and the microphones. Really sloppy, especially with having replayed audio looping back into the live audio. The coverage at the beginning of the third quarter was particularly bad. Room for improvement.

Game day experience was good. Mooresville's band was excellent, even though they were performing against a smaller, quieter crowd than what they are used to. Concessions were free of the long lines that we had for Catawba. But they don't take cash? Fortunately the folks at the tent I visited accepted cash. Good to see Coach Fagg, as always. Seems like the historical problems with the referee's microphone is fixed. We have a lot of people dedicated to keeping fans out of the black seats. Wrong approach. Especially when we have a tiny crowd, we should concentrate our fans towards the middle of the stands. The grass hill is awesome. I sat there for the Catawba game. Last night, a buddy gave a premium ticket so I sat near midfield.
I hope the ESPN+ announcers weren't Davidson students. The play-by-play guy kept saying "undoubtably," and the color guy once said, "They should of went for it."
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

85Wildcatsky

Post by 85Wildcatsky » Sun Sep 15, 2024 5:32 pm

i77cat wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:34 am
Official attendance was 2288. Catawba attendance was 4477.
We need to find a way to play two FCS OOC games per year and have at least one of them at home. Opponents like Point do little for our program or attendance. It is a shame having a great new stadium with 2288 fans.

They should move the player's parents into the black seats and recruits into the black seats. Someone over estimated demand.

Music coming through the speakers is too loud. I love hard rock music but the current setting is too amped up.

It is odd that a 42 - 12 Wildcat win would leave a bad taste in your mouth.

I am reminded of the quote in Gladiator. "Win the Crowd" .....the Wildcats did not win the crowd last night.

I am curious what happen to the Grid Iron Club tailgate? We had great showings last year in the end zone and this year on the new terrace location there has been no one. I know some fans have moved upstairs but what happened to everyone else and why no food?
Pioneer League Football Champions 2020
Pioneer League Football Champions 2021 :D
FCS Playoffs 2020
FCS Playoffs 2021
FCS Playoffs 2022

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Sun Sep 15, 2024 8:20 pm

I believe the Cats are playing Elon, VMI and Georgetown at home in the coming years.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sun Sep 15, 2024 8:24 pm

I liked the view from the 40 yard line. I saw several people I knew in the stands. I didn't think the game was consistently awful, just enough and early enough in the game to sour the mood. Giving the 3rd string QB a good bit of experience is a mixed blessing that could pay dividends.

I think the end zone tailgate has been replaced by the VIP thing in the skybox. I ate before I went to the stadium, but I missed getting to meet former players from different eras and various other folks, like the previous academic VP and Austin Buntz, whom I first met at that gathering. I enjoyed the commentary and analysis from people who know much, much more about football than I. (OK, so not so high a bar.) At one point I even knew 85Wildcatsky's real last name. My half-time discussion was with a former basketball player about experiences singing in church choirs. (That came up because of my reason for missing the previous game, while on a choir retreat.) It was great to talk with him, but not the same thing.

The painful volume level was not so much in the stadium as, oddly, on the way in. I think they did cut back some. Derek's volume was just right, I thought. The band was good, but too far away to enjoy as much. I gather there were cheerleaders off in the periphery.

The evening was lovely.

Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sun Sep 15, 2024 9:51 pm

stevelee wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2024 8:24 pm
... Giving the 3rd string QB a good bit of experience is a mixed blessing that could pay dividends...
We are deep at QB. Cleland and Durkin were the starter and backup, but the 3 and 4 are excellent options. Phillips is a senior. He runs the offense well. Casey Bullock is a freshman who had a superb high school career. Even if our top 2 don't return for a while, we're in good shape. I worry more about defense than I do about offense.

85Wildcatsky

Post by 85Wildcatsky » Sun Sep 15, 2024 10:18 pm

QB 3 & 4 missed a lot of passes that are necessary for this offense to excel once the Pioneer opponents load the box.

As a player I never liked bye weeks but this one may be well timed.

On a positive note, Presby will play FCS Gardner Webb the week before us. No extra prep time.
Pioneer League Football Champions 2020
Pioneer League Football Champions 2021 :D
FCS Playoffs 2020
FCS Playoffs 2021
FCS Playoffs 2022