Up next: Catawba

The 2020-21 Pioneer Football League CHAMPIONS! NCAA Playoff Team
85Wildcatsky

Re: Up next: Catawba

Post by 85Wildcatsky » Sun Sep 08, 2024 3:18 pm

i77cat wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2024 2:30 pm
Attendance was listed at 4477. Not bad at all. Should be better for PFL games, much worse for Point.
I think the key to build attendance in either basketball or football is an aggressive marketing program to attract more Lake Norman/North Meck fans who are not alums or tied to the college. That is a big marketplace and high income populace to go after. I think we can only get so many fans from our small alumni base.

Pioneer teams don't travel well. I think Davidson may be one of the best.

It would also be nice to have a separate Parent Weekend and Homecoming Weekend.
Pioneer League Football Champions 2020
Pioneer League Football Champions 2021 :D
FCS Playoffs 2020
FCS Playoffs 2021
FCS Playoffs 2022

2008wildcat

Post by 2008wildcat » Sun Sep 08, 2024 4:16 pm

85Wildcatsky wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2024 1:27 pm
Great Win by the Cats!

Stadium-

I walked around the stadium prior to kick off and there seemed to be a ton of people attending. Yes some of the stands were not filled but there were many people on both the home and visiting viewing concourses standing to watch the game. There were also people viewing from the new reception center in the press box.

Cons-

Concession lines were absurdly long.
I think the stands on the home side would have been completely full if there weren’t multiples lines of 70+ people waiting for concessions. Neither one of two local food vendors (names escape me, a bagel place and a bbq place) had drinks to sell. I don’t know if they’re not allowed to sell that, but if they’d had have bottled water last night they would have made thousands.

Also, how much would it cost to install cup holders on the seats in Belk Arena? It was very nice to not worry about knocking over my drink.

citycat

Post by citycat » Sun Sep 08, 2024 4:32 pm

They need more carts and kiosks. People expect to eat and drink more in modern stadiums.

There were a lot of fans who stood throughout the game. That wasn't bad, because it created a little space in the sections with the bleachers.

What makes us think we'll draw more for PFL games? Dayton and Presbyterian might bring some fans, but we play them on the road this season.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sun Sep 08, 2024 4:42 pm

I think we'll have better turnout of Davidson fans for PFL games. Enough to compensate for the reduced number of visiting fans compared to Catawba. We had over 4k for San Diego and Presby last year and almost 5k for Valpo. It's a nice house. We should get better crowds with better opponents.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sun Sep 08, 2024 7:12 pm

I saw a message on Facebook from a guy who was a kid when I was his pastor in northern Iredell County. His wife apparently is a Catawba alumna. They live in the Denver area and their son plays football for Bandys. Having lived in that area, I'm sort of a Bandys football fan anyway, though I didn't have any parishioners on the team or go to games.

They had been to a memorial service at my old church for a guy who must have been a young kid when I was there, if I have him placed correctly. I don't know anything about the circumstances of his death. So they had a long day.

They said they had a good time at the game in spite of the more lopsided than expected score. They enjoyed hearing Ashton sing the National Anthem, knowing him as I do from North Iredell days. Jane Campbell posted a video of the jump, so I got to listen today. They commented on the good-sized crowd. I would expect a lot folks wanted to attend the first football game in the new stadium.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:45 am

So if in a few years we have a player named Evan Turner, you saw it here first.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:58 am

Glad to see we finally have play reviews now in the Pioneer league.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Mon Sep 09, 2024 11:39 am

We do? That would be surprising. Did they just announce it?
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Mon Sep 09, 2024 12:08 pm

i77cat wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2024 11:39 am
We do? That would be surprising. Did they just announce it?
They reviewed a play at the game Saturday.

citycat

Post by citycat » Mon Sep 09, 2024 12:20 pm

Yes, they did. I told my wife the review officials might be in St. Louis. The PFL's commissioner's office used to be there.

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Mon Sep 09, 2024 1:16 pm

The reveiw official is in the stadium.
Sit vis nobiscum

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Mon Sep 09, 2024 1:18 pm

Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet (https://www.earnhardtchevy.com/)is a sponsor of Davidson Athletics which is why the PA guy made a refernce to him.
Sit vis nobiscum

citycat

Post by citycat » Mon Sep 09, 2024 1:46 pm

He said, "Dale Earnhardt, Jr.", who has nothing to do with Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet.

That dealership is owned by Junior's stepmother, Teresa.

PS. Little E's 50th birthday is October 12, 2024.

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Mon Sep 09, 2024 1:49 pm

I feel fairly certain about what i said. :D
Sit vis nobiscum

citycat

Post by citycat » Mon Sep 09, 2024 2:16 pm

Have you Googled Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet?

Yes, they sponsor all kinds of Davidson athletic events. They make noise when a Wildcat hits a 3.

But little E has nothing to do with that dealership or the number 3.