McKillop's preseason forecast on Zoom, 8/27

2018 A10 Champions!
citycat

Re: McKillop's preseason forecast on Zoom, 8/27

Post by citycat » Wed Aug 28, 2024 12:13 pm

Matt said we had a game scheduled for 11/16, but it had to be moved to another date. We're trying to find another game for 11/16.

That doesn't sound like a D3 game to me.

He didn't mention a D3 game and he didn't name a D3 team, so maybe we're not playing a D3 team this year. Pfeiffer is the closest D3 team, but I don't remember playing them*. Guilford is the 2nd closest team, but they were in the Final Four last year.

The game with ETSU is at home to complete that series.

*We played Pfeiffer in men's soccer in 1973. They brought their cheerleaders. There were no bleachers. The soccer field was where the parking lot is between the Knoblauch Tennis facility and the Chipotle or Qdoba.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Wed Aug 28, 2024 12:36 pm

Back when Pfeiffer had a lot more students on campus than now, they didn’t play football, but soccer was their sport, when for example homecoming game was a soccer game. I think generally their basketball and baseball teams did well in their league. As last i saw they had 400 undergraduates on campus, and most of their enrollment was in masters programs at their Charlotte campus. Maybe that has changed recently.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

2008wildcat

Post by 2008wildcat » Wed Aug 28, 2024 1:24 pm

raptorcat wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2024 9:51 pm

Oh, and that Manie Joses is freakishly athletic. Matt spoke about his vertical leap: they couldn't measure it because he outjumped the measurement calibrations in the measuring machine.
This stuck out for me as well. How high do those things measure?

CatsRom

Post by CatsRom » Wed Aug 28, 2024 1:27 pm

Also loved hearing the "Feet-Set" Hulbert nickname. If he is as good of a shooter as it sounds I am envisioning the midcourt screen for the ball handler bringing it up with him sliding down to be ready for the trailing 3 ball like so many davidson centers have made a living on.

Skogman was particularly efficient with that last season and it showed once he left the lineup.

ScootCat

Post by ScootCat » Wed Aug 28, 2024 2:23 pm

From what I saw this summer on campus, Hulbert has the potential to be a high volume scorer from three. He certainly showed a decided preference to work free for open looks on the perimeter, versus camping out in the low post. In terms of other guys, Hunter Adam looks very strong physically, and showed improved execution and confidence from behind the arc. I look for him to be very assertive this season.
Esse Quam Videri

raptorcat

Post by raptorcat » Wed Aug 28, 2024 2:31 pm

Matt praised Hunter's leadership and his enthusiasm. He said Hunter exhorts the other players and offers advice nonstop and Matt occasionally has to say, "Hush up, Hunter. The coaches need to get a word in." (I'm paraphrasing, but you get the gist of it.)
“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”
"I can't be worrying about that sh*t. Life goes on, man."
- Jeff Bridges as The Dude in "The Big Lebowski"

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Wed Aug 28, 2024 6:56 pm

Back to the discussion of Pfeiffer- they started soccer in 1959, when virtually no locals knew the game. My uncle had played the game at Boy Scout camps as a camper and later a counselor. He started for them from Day 1.

Baseball was their dominant sport back then. They had a coach named Joe Ferebee for over 30 years. He won 667 games. In 1990, when he was inducted into their HOF, that was the most of any NC college baseball coach.

MLC67

Post by MLC67 » Wed Aug 28, 2024 7:31 pm

Today was the annual Cake Race, for which Matt made a prediction as to the winner, a member of the team, whose name now escapes me. Matt also had a secondary prediction in Nick Coval. Would be nice to learn if Coach got it right. In 1967, I don’t know who won, but do know that my roommate, Billy Pierce, came in fourth, while I came in somewhere around 175. Thus, no cake for me, until BP was gracious enough to share his with me.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for men of good will to do nothing. Eddie Burke

Esse Quam Videri

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Wed Aug 28, 2024 8:34 pm

catnhat wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2024 6:56 pm
Back to the discussion of Pfeiffer- they started soccer in 1959, when virtually no locals knew the game. My uncle had played the game at Boy Scout camps as a camper and later a counselor. He started for them from Day 1.

Baseball was their dominant sport back then. They had a coach named Joe Ferebee for over 30 years. He won 667 games. In 1990, when he was inducted into their HOF, that was the most of any NC college baseball coach.
Prior to entering Davidson in 1964, I had my only experience with soccer one day in PE in the eighth grade. They showed us a soccer ball and explained a bit about the game and let us kick the ball around for a while.

I have so many great memories of Pfeiffer faculty, staff, and students during based on the eight years of my life, separated by 20 years, in northern Stanly County. Joe and Melba Ferebee were great folks.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Wed Aug 28, 2024 8:50 pm

Joe Ferebee died about 5 years ago at age 101. He is in the American Legion HOF. He won more games as an American Legion coach- mostly with Salisbury/Rowan County- than he did at Pfeiffer.

Trivia tidbit, a cousin, Tom Ferebee, was the bombardier on the Enola Gay.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu Aug 29, 2024 12:05 am

MLC67 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2024 7:31 pm
Today was the annual Cake Race, for which Matt made a prediction as to the winner, a member of the team, whose name now escapes me. Matt also had a secondary prediction in Nick Coval. Would be nice to learn if Coach got it right. In 1967, I don’t know who won, but do know that my roommate, Billy Pierce, came in fourth, while I came in somewhere around 175. Thus, no cake for me, until BP was gracious enough to share his with me.
Jane has posted her pictures:

https://www.newsofdavidson.photos/2024 ... ss-of-2028
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Thu Aug 29, 2024 1:06 am

MLC67 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2024 7:31 pm
Matt picked Blums as the most likely to win.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

MLC67

Post by MLC67 » Thu Aug 29, 2024 8:13 am

The Davidson College news webpage reports that a track runner, Ryan Harris, Class of ‘26 won the Men’s Division, with no apparent explanation for this projection that he will graduate in two years.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for men of good will to do nothing. Eddie Burke

Esse Quam Videri

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Thu Aug 29, 2024 8:24 am

It is true that Ryan Harris is a Junior, and has been attending DC and contributing to the Men's XC and Track teams. I have no idea what he would be doing running the Freshman Cake Race...?

MLC67

Post by MLC67 » Thu Aug 29, 2024 9:11 am

Inasmuch as Mr. Harris is a true ringer and not qualified to complete in this freshman cake race, possibly Blums was the actual victor after all.

Esse Quam Videri