Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
catnhat

Re: Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

Post by catnhat » Sun May 03, 2020 2:20 pm

I recently went down an internet rabbit hole which eventually led me to an early April PantherTalk podcast with GaState HC Rob Lanier. For the first 7-8 minutes they discussed the family’s move, how his kids adjusted and Evan’s recruitment. He told how they came to the realization years ago that he and Evan did not do well as coach and player- especially if they did want to thrive as father and son.

One thing he said is that Davidson is very particular about who they recruit. I think we all understand that and see it’s results in the fact that most of our players fit well and complete their careers in one place. He also said that he doesn’t toss around offers easily. They really want to know a kid, and consider how well he will fit before making an offer. We see that every year. Some places have 20 or 30 offers on the table, and we might only know about 4 or 5 kids we are actively recruiting.

PS: IDK where "Evan" came from. Mea Culpa.
Last edited by catnhat on Sun May 03, 2020 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RichmondCat

Post by RichmondCat » Sun May 03, 2020 6:16 pm

catnhat wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 2:20 pm
I recently went down an internet rabbit hole which eventually led me to an early April PantherTalk podcast with GaState HC Rob Lanier. For the first 7-8 minutes they discussed the family’s move, how his kids adjusted and Evan’s recruitment. He told how they came to the realization years ago that he and Evan did not do well as coach and player- especially if they did want to thrive as father and son.

One thing he said is that Davidson is very particular about who they recruit. I think we all understand that and see it’s results in the fact that most of our players fit well and complete their careers in one place. He also said that he doesn’t toss around offers easily. They really want to know a kid, and consider how well he will fit before making an offer. We see that every year. Some places have 20 or 30 offers on the table, and we might only know about 4 or 5 kids we are actively recruiting.
Emory is a player who, I believe, will be ready and able to contribute in a variety of ways. He is also a winner. I look forward to seeing him on the court.

Jay Catsby

Post by Jay Catsby » Mon May 04, 2020 5:50 pm

I was on a non-Davidson college basketball page earlier today and saw video of a talented 6'6" 2021 player named Max Hrdlicka. (highlights: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/10407486/5 ... 137c6fafd6)

Max is from Brunswick, GA which really is not near very much (unless you vacation at St. Simon's). Video reminds of Luke Frampton's HS highlights in that he's a D-1 level talent dominating against lesser players, making some spectacular plays and also doing a handful of things he won't be able to get away with in the college game. He does however have really good instincts, moves well without the ball, and makes hustle play after hustle play. He's not the shooter Luke is or even was at that age, but he cans a few from way out. Obviously a ten minute highlight reel tells very little about anyone's prospects as a college player, but I found myself thinking as I watched that he might fit in well here.

I guess because it's a thing to do, I checked out his twitter page and apparently he was in Belk Arena (unofficially) for our 2/22 overtime victory against Rhode Island. (source:https://twitter.com/BHSSIGA/status/1231413085992341504)

That's a good game for a recruit to have seen in Belk. Also, good news that the coaching staff has had eyes on him for a little while now. There is of course always the question of academics, but it sounds like he is quite a good student.

He only has one offer so far, from U of North Florida. But should pick up more, bigger offers shortly. Maybe we will be one???

citycat

Post by citycat » Mon May 04, 2020 6:08 pm

Kwame Brown, the 1st pick in the 2001 NBA draft, attended Glynn Academy, too. Let's not hold that against Max.

RichmondCat

Post by RichmondCat » Mon May 04, 2020 7:14 pm

Ryan Conway, who visited unofficially last year, just committed to Seton Hall.

https://twitter.com/coachlochte/status/ ... 62401?s=21

https://twitter.com/ryanconway57/status ... 46848?s=21

RichmondCat

Post by RichmondCat » Sun May 17, 2020 7:14 pm

wildforthecats wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:20 pm
6’3 ’21 AJ Allenspach (Simpsonville, SC). One to keep an eye on.
Will be close to campus next year. Also, seems he has grown a bit.

https://twitter.com/aj_allenspach/statu ... 32361?s=21

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Mon May 18, 2020 3:01 pm

Some old farts will remember the name Curtis Blair. He played at Richmond, was CAA POY, and is now an NBA ref.

Richmond has offered a scholly to Curtis Blair III. He also has an offer from VaTech and a smaller school or two.

Wildcat92

Post by Wildcat92 » Tue May 19, 2020 10:42 am

catnhat wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 3:01 pm
Some old farts will remember the name Curtis Blair. He played at Richmond, was CAA POY, and is now an NBA ref.

Richmond has offered a scholly to Curtis Blair III. He also has an offer from VaTech and a smaller school or two.

He was the finest picker to ever play the blues, if I recall correctly.
"When Davidson’s offense is clicking, the reads upon reads of its motion offense unfold like some masterful concerto." - SLAM Magazine. 10/27/15

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue May 19, 2020 11:31 am

That'd be Curtis Lowe.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

citycat

Post by citycat » Tue May 19, 2020 11:47 am

Not Curtis Rowe, UCLA's small forward during the period between Alcindor and Walton?

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Tue May 19, 2020 1:35 pm

Charlie Daniels did a song featuring a miser named Lucious Clay. Whenever I hear it I am reminded of Gen. Lucious Clay who was Eisenhower’s Chief of Staff in WWII, the commanding general in Berlin who oversaw the Berlin Airlift, and the man Eisenhower put in charge of the development of the interstate highway system. I don’t think the general buried his money in Mason Jars ina swamp.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue May 19, 2020 1:56 pm

The General was "Lucius."

Play-Doh is edible, isn't it?
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Wed May 20, 2020 7:11 am

stevelee wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:56 pm
The General was "Lucius."

Play-Doh is edible, isn't it?
Hope so...been doing school projects with granddaughter this week. 😄

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Wed May 20, 2020 7:16 am

Still not sure what flavor Kool-aid goes best with green Play-doh. Suggestions?

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Wed May 20, 2020 10:56 am

MrMac wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:16 am
Still not sure what flavor Kool-aid goes best with green Play-doh. Suggestions?
I haven't tasted it. Is it really luscious clay?
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ