Is DU broke?

Feel free to discuss Davidson issues not related to athletics. Please use decorum and good judgment.
slowcat95

Is DU broke?

Post by slowcat95 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:41 am

Just saw a job ad pop up on my news feed. Davidson is looking for a half time director of the new data analytics lab. PhD preferred. Salary $24k.

Lack of funds for a videographer might be the least of the college's concerns.
The basic entrance fee to being a good person is to listen to and believe people who lack a privilege you have.

PsychoCat

Post by PsychoCat » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:08 am

I've always had the feeling we were behind the 8 ball financially, and this is beyond discussing athletic dept needs. I think there have been signs of progress for sports funds, just not as fast as we fan board posters would like to see.

I hope all the new construction works out.

Dr. Bliss

Re: Is DU broke?

Post by Dr. Bliss » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:05 am

slowcat95 wrote:Just saw a job ad pop up on my news feed. Davidson is looking for a half time director of the new data analytics lab. PhD preferred. Salary $24k.

You could look at this as perhaps they are recruiting a retired professor who just wants to work part-time.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

stevelee

Re: Is DU broke?

Post by stevelee » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:21 am

Dr. Bliss wrote:
slowcat95 wrote:Just saw a job ad pop up on my news feed. Davidson is looking for a half time director of the new data analytics lab. PhD preferred. Salary $24k.

You could look at this as perhaps they are recruiting a retired professor who just wants to work part-time.
One can easily read a lot into a job posting. As you suggest there are frequent situations where they are about to hire someone, but they have to post the job opening first.

If you are right, it sounds like a good deal for the school and the prof.

A friend started to apply for a job opening at Duke until he realized from the wording that it was a position made up for the dean's wife. (That's not to suggest that in that case she wasn't a capable person or that she didn't do useful work for the school once in the position. I believe to the contrary in that instance. I can easily believe that nepotism doesn't always work out that way, though.)
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:34 pm

Data analytics is hot in business, finance, and politics right now, and someone with a PhD in that field can get a lot more money than that. Current average base salary without a PhD is $60-80,000. My son WildcatPolitik is working in the IT department at Davidson doing data analysis and writing programs for faculty and staff. I don't know how much he is being paid, but it is significantly less than what he made in business. However, he loves his job, loves working at Davidson, loves the people he is working with, and has never been happier. Just for fun, he has joined Tim Chartier's team and is doing some really cool stuff with basketball shot selection data.
"We should've thrown our number 7 pitcher against Davidson......" Post by Tar Heel baseball fan 16 minutes into the game.

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:47 pm

DC69Wildcat wrote:Data analytics is hot in business, finance, and politics right now, and someone with a PhD in that field can get a lot more money than that. Current average base salary without a PhD is $60-80,000. My son WildcatPolitik is working in the IT department at Davidson doing data analysis and writing programs for faculty and staff. I don't know how much he is being paid, but it is significantly less than what he made in business. However, he loves his job, loves working at Davidson, loves the people he is working with, and has never been happier. Just for fun, he has joined Tim Chartier's team and is doing some really cool stuff with basketball shot selection data.
Note that it is a half time position.

Salary still seems low, though.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:43 pm

Dr. Bliss wrote:Note that it is a half time position.

Salary still seems low, though.
Yep. It probably doesn't include benefits, either, which makes it even lower. Of course, faculty and staff do get free admission to basketball games.
"We should've thrown our number 7 pitcher against Davidson......" Post by Tar Heel baseball fan 16 minutes into the game.

jamesdhogan

Post by jamesdhogan » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:37 pm

DC69Wildcat wrote:Yep. It probably doesn't include benefits, either, which makes it even lower. Of course, faculty and staff do get free admission to basketball games.
You have contradicted yourself.
The artist formerly known as Freehold.

dorp

Post by dorp » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:48 pm

In a basketball thread, I mentioned attending my first DU game against Ole Miss in 1996. The price of a ticket to that game, for the general public, was $6 at the time. Tuition was roughly $25,000.

Internet searches suggest that prices should have increased 61% since then. Tickets are not $10. Tuition is not $41,000.

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:26 pm

jamesdhogan wrote:
DC69Wildcat wrote:Yep. It probably doesn't include benefits, either, which makes it even lower. Of course, faculty and staff do get free admission to basketball games.
You have contradicted yourself.
:lol:

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:44 am

When I was a graduate student, I worked 8 hours a week at UNC's statistics/GIS/data analytics consulting lab. I'm not sure what the lab's director got paid at the time, but it know for darn sure it was well more than $48k/year. I'd wager at least double that a decade ago.

Offering that little amount of money and hoping to get a PhD to apply is absurd and even a little embarrassing when you think of how much it cost to earn a PhD these days. Unless, of course, it's a position created for a trailing spouse.
The basic entrance fee to being a good person is to listen to and believe people who lack a privilege you have.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:18 am

As a couple of you suggest, it is not market rates, so most likely advertising a position that someone has already agreed to fill, for whatever reason.

And just because you advertise a pay level doesn't limit you to that when you hire, at least at a private institution, or does it? That might be a good way to scare off other applicants.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ