49'er Hire New Head Coach with losing record

The Fighting Wildcats are on the rise. Discuss the future Pioneer League champions.
85Wildcatsky

49'er Hire New Head Coach with losing record

Post by 85Wildcatsky » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:30 pm

UNCC hires will Healy from Austin Peay. This does not look like a big splash that will help turn the program.

His head coaching record is

0-11
8-4
5-6

:roll:
"They were energized by this move to the A-10. How could you not be?" McKillop said. "The tree is filled with a lot of presents."

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:00 pm

0-11 to 8-4 is a helluva jump.

captneff26

Post by captneff26 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:13 pm

Healy is from Chattanooga. Excellent young coach. Great recruiter. Great hire for Charlotte.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:09 pm

Agreed. Great hire by a program on the rise. They've already had an impressive start to their program.
"McKillop is a gentleman. He could have played 'name that score' if he so desired."---St Joe's fan

citycat

Post by citycat » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:03 pm

For a 4 year period including Healy's first year, Peay's record was 1-43. The 8-4 record was the next season.

3 of those 4 losses were to FBS teams.

Peay's all time winning % is around .349. They played at Davidson in 1999. As I was walking from the Baker parking lot to Richardson, a Peay staff member handed me a box lunch and a copy of their media guide. They ordered the lunches for parents and fans. Very few showed up, so they gave the unclaimed items away. I read their media guide and their football history makes Davidson's appear stellar.

When ETSU dropped football in the early '00s due to state budget cuts, Peay dropped scholarships and moved to the Pioneer League. They were not competitive in the Pioneer League.

A new Chancellor arrived and noticed enrollment was increasing. She allocated the increasing student fees to athletic scholarships and Peay moved back to the Ohio Valley Conference. They were consistent also-rans until Healy's 2nd year.

Peay is next to the Tennessee end of Fort Campbell. The school is located in Clarksville, TN. Maybe their fans sing Last Train to Clarksville at the 2 minute warning.

85Wildcatsky

Post by 85Wildcatsky » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:21 am

If I am a Conference USA AD with a lot of money invested into football, I just don't think I am going to take a risk on the guy. One great season does not make up for a lack of track record. I would be troubled that his winning season was followed by a losing record against a weaker schedule and the fact he was ready to ship out after 3 years. Time will tell. :?
"They were energized by this move to the A-10. How could you not be?" McKillop said. "The tree is filled with a lot of presents."

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:34 am

Who wouldn't ship out after 3 years for the difference in what Charlotte pays compared to A-P?

85Wildcatsky

Post by 85Wildcatsky » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:39 am

catnhat wrote:Who wouldn't ship out after 3 years for the difference in what Charlotte pays compared to A-P?
Hopefully Coach Abell

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:44 am

85Wildcatsky wrote:
catnhat wrote:Who wouldn't ship out after 3 years for the difference in what Charlotte pays compared to A-P?
Hopefully Coach Abell
Amen. Hopefully Coach retires as the winnest coach in DU history.

captneff26

Post by captneff26 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:05 pm

85Wildcatsky wrote:If I am a Conference USA AD with a lot of money invested into football, I just don't think I am going to take a risk on the guy. One great season does not make up for a lack of track record. I would be troubled that his winning season was followed by a losing record against a weaker schedule and the fact he was ready to ship out after 3 years. Time will tell. :?
With all due respect, Healy can coach. And recruit. You underestimate the situation he entered his first year there and the status of the program at that point. What he has done is remarkable, actually. There is no other "track record" because he has only been a head coach for 3 years. But UTC raved about him when he was here. Heck, I remember him playing QB in high school here in Chattanooga.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ott-frost/