50-50-90

A new forum for discussion about Davidson's professional athletes.
Post Reply
User avatar
DC69Wildcat
Posts: 5068
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:09 pm
Location: Concord, NC

50-50-90

Post by DC69Wildcat » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:44 pm

There are 7 members in the 50-40-90 club (Steph Curry, Larry Bird, Steve Nash, Kevin Durant, Mark Price, Reggie Miller, and Dirk Nowitzki). Only Nash and Bird have done it more than once. There are 2 members in the 50-45-90 club (Nash and Curry). Steph is currently at 51.9, 50.3, and 93.1.
"We should've thrown our number 7 pitcher against Davidson......" Post by Tar Heel baseball fan 16 minutes into the game.

catnhat
Posts: 6402
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 7:24 pm
Location: Asheboro, NC

Post by catnhat » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:26 am

There are 2 variations of the 50-40-90 club. One includes shooting 50% from 2 point land, 40% from 3, and 90% on FTs. The other includes shooting 50% from the floor (overall- counting 3s), 40% from 3, and 90% on FTs.

I think of the first option when I hear 50-40-90. DC69 is talking about the 2nd. The 2nd option is harder because a 45% 3 pt average can still drag an overall shooting percentage under 50%. This particularly affects Steph because he shoots more 3s per season than anyone else in history. Steph has reached the levels in option one 3 times. He has reached the levels in option 2 once.

User avatar
DC69Wildcat
Posts: 5068
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:09 pm
Location: Concord, NC

Post by DC69Wildcat » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:21 am

catnhat wrote:There are 2 variations of the 50-40-90 club. One includes shooting 50% from 2 point land, 40% from 3, and 90% on FTs. The other includes shooting 50% from the floor (overall- counting 3s), 40% from 3, and 90% on FTs.

I think of the first option when I hear 50-40-90. DC69 is talking about the 2nd. The 2nd option is harder because a 45% 3 pt average can still drag an overall shooting percentage under 50%. This particularly affects Steph because he shoots more 3s per season than anyone else in history. Steph has reached the levels in option one 3 times. He has reached the levels in option 2 once.
The official NBA stats for the first number are FGM/FGA, which is the 2nd option, and the unofficial 50-40-90 club is defined by that stat, according to Wikipedia. Amazingly, Steph may find himself in totally uncharted territory where his 2-point percentage drags his overall percentage down. :shock:
"We should've thrown our number 7 pitcher against Davidson......" Post by Tar Heel baseball fan 16 minutes into the game.

Post Reply