Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
BDL

Post by BDL » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:32 am

RichmondCat wrote:
BDF wrote:Have we talked about Reece Brown?

https://twitter.com/ne6hoops/status/105 ... 91200?s=21
First I have seen. Looks like he goes to same school as Nelson B-Y.
Same height and position too apparently.... athleticism looks pretty similar as well.

BDL

Post by BDL » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:51 am

This now makes 6 kids we seem to be in on or have a shot to land for 2020:

Dallion Johnson, Justice Ajogbor, Myles Stute, Burke Smith, Tre Jones, and now Reece Brown.

RichmondCat

Post by RichmondCat » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:02 am

If you see a young man with great hair on campus this weekend, be sure to say hello. Could be the next in our long line of great guards.

RichmondCat

Post by RichmondCat » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:17 am

Justice Ajogbor was at Davidson yesterday as we know and, per the below, is making an official visit to another institution this weekend.

https://twitter.com/JustinByerly/status ... 8133332993

RichmondCat

Post by RichmondCat » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:23 am

Busy news morning. A10 and Mountain West discussing annual challenge per the below:

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status ... 6856269825

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:49 am

RichmondCat wrote:

First I have seen. Looks like he goes to same school as Nelson B-Y.
They both seem adept at that thing where they jump high enough to force the ball through the hoop with their hands. That’s legal, right?
The earth is round. Two plus two equals four.

~Tip well.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:56 am

One other tidbit about Justice: He is studying Arabic this year.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

DCA06

Post by DCA06 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:01 pm

Anyone see Justice on campus? Nathan is a good angle for us with him, as are our former Nigerian contingent - I hope that means something to Justice as he looks for a place to play and develop.

Reece looks solid. BTW - Northwestern, how many guys do they try and get feel like they've taken two F's recently. G'town always a risk with Ewing, but still yet to see that team recover to a competitive level. I'd love to get a home and home with G'town. Would be fun.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:10 pm

Maybe he could talk to Frank about Harvard.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

citycat

Post by citycat » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:49 pm

Referring to A10-MWC Challenge: 1) The MWC only has 11 members. 3 A10 schools will be idle. 2) Some of the MWC schools have suboptimal basketball traditions: Air Force, Colorado State, San Jose State, and Boise State have challenging histories. There are MWC schools with stellar histories: New Mexico, UNLV, Nevada-Reno, Utah State, and San Diego State. (SDSU since they hired Steve Fisher). 3) Playing at San Jose State would get us a game in the Bay Area where Steph could attend. They have a nice arena few San Joseans have entered.

If the MVC-MWC Challenge is ending, why not see if the MVC wants to play the A10? Loyola and Northern Iowa are usually good. Missouri State was better when they were Southwest Missouri State. We've beaten them in Springfield, MO.

BDL

Post by BDL » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:12 am

citycat wrote:Referring to A10-MWC Challenge: 1) The MWC only has 11 members. 3 A10 schools will be idle. 2) Some of the MWC schools have suboptimal basketball traditions: Air Force, Colorado State, San Jose State, and Boise State have challenging histories. There are MWC schools with stellar histories: New Mexico, UNLV, Nevada-Reno, Utah State, and San Diego State. (SDSU since they hired Steve Fisher). 3) Playing at San Jose State would get us a game in the Bay Area where Steph could attend. They have a nice arena few San Joseans have entered.

If the MVC-MWC Challenge is ending, why not see if the MVC wants to play the A10? Loyola and Northern Iowa are usually good. Missouri State was better when they were Southwest Missouri State. We've beaten them in Springfield, MO.
In a perfect world we could have both a MVC and MWC challenge but if I had to choose I strongly believe the MWC is a better option. The MWC is deeper and the spectre of Gonzaga joining the MWC is very real (and has been discussed by the school and conference). Also, two of the schools you stated that have problematic histories (CSU and Boise) have been improving in recent years.

citycat

Post by citycat » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:01 am

If Gonzaga moved to the Mountain West Conference and we could be matched up against them regularly in this event (twice every 8 years), that would change the equation.

Colorado State was 10-21 last year. Let's hope that wasn't an improvement.

As we were driving back from DC after the A10 Championship last March, we heard Mark Few interviewed on 2 NCAA Selection Shows on ESPN radio. In each interview, he emphasized St. Mary's mediocre out of conference schedule. He said the WCC had warned St. Mary's their schedule would hurt their chances for an at-large bid. St. Mary's plays in a tiny gym and sells out almost every home game, so they don't need to bring in decent non-conference teams to draw big crowds.

Few and Gonzaga might believe some of the WCC teams are not trying to win, but are content to sellout their home games against Gonzaga, BYU, and St. Mary's and draw their share of Gonzaga's NCAA earnings. (This was said by some about the SoCon the the early 2010s.)

The MWC was the #8 conference last season in the Sagarin ratings. The WCC was #11. The difference between the 2 conferences is slight. If BYU could return to its historical near greatness, the WCC would be a perennial 2 bid conference. They used to be a regular 2 bid conference before Gonzaga started dominating the league 20 years ago.

BDL

Post by BDL » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:33 am

BDL wrote:
citycat wrote:Referring to A10-MWC Challenge: 1) The MWC only has 11 members. 3 A10 schools will be idle. 2) Some of the MWC schools have suboptimal basketball traditions: Air Force, Colorado State, San Jose State, and Boise State have challenging histories. There are MWC schools with stellar histories: New Mexico, UNLV, Nevada-Reno, Utah State, and San Diego State. (SDSU since they hired Steve Fisher). 3) Playing at San Jose State would get us a game in the Bay Area where Steph could attend. They have a nice arena few San Joseans have entered.

In a perfect world we could have both a MVC and MWC challenge but if I had to choose I strongly believe the MWC is a better option. The MWC is deeper and the spectre of Gonzaga joining the MWC is very real (and has been discussed by the school and conference). Also, two of the schools you stated that have problematic histories (CSU and Boise) have been improving in recent years.
In the past 8 seasons, the MWC has had a better RPI than the MVC 6 times.

BDF

Post by BDF » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:29 pm

Dallion Johnson on campus for an official visit today, per the Twitter.
Bob in the huddle during timeout: "Don't listen to BDL!"
Matt: "Coach, that's BDF."
Bob: "What?! There's two of them!?"

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:02 pm

My eyeballs agree.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge