Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
citycat

Post by citycat » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:43 pm

What in my post makes you infer I don't support the players who choose to attend Davidson?

I repeated what our coaches have told us about several recruits in the past. There was a very smart kid who told us he had no interest in Davidson. The parents encouraged us. His dad was a Presbyterian minister. His mom was a school teacher who was from a wealthy family in Charlotte. The kid made his own choice and went elsewhere after we devoted a lot of time toward his recruitment. The good news was he was local and we didn't spend money on airfare.

RichmondCat

Post by RichmondCat » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:15 pm

citycat wrote:What in my post makes you infer I don't support the players who choose to attend Davidson?

I repeated what our coaches have told us about several recruits in the past. There was a very smart kid who told us he had no interest in Davidson. The parents encouraged us. His dad was a Presbyterian minister. His mom was a school teacher who was from a wealthy family in Charlotte. The kid made his own choice and went elsewhere after we devoted a lot of time toward his recruitment. The good news was he was local and we didn't spend money on airfare.
Nothing. That wasn’t remotely my intent and I apologize if it seemed that way. Just speaking for myself as I usually do.

BDF

Post by BDF » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:21 pm

citycat wrote:If a kid is not interested in Davidson, it's better he tells us right away, rather than make us expend time and money on a futile exercise.
A friend of mine working on a sales commission once put it to me this way:

The best answer you can get is yes. The next best answer is no. The worst answer is maybe. Maybe means a lot of additional time and energy for what will still probably end up as a no.
Bob in the huddle during timeout: "Don't listen to BDL!"
Matt: "Coach, that's BDF."
Bob: "What?! There's two of them!?"

DCA06

Post by DCA06 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:08 pm

no is a word between yes and maybe.

BaseRich97

Post by BaseRich97 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:39 pm

RichmondCat wrote:
citycat wrote:If a kid is not interested in Davidson, it's better he tells us right away, rather than make us expend time and money on a futile exercise.

One of our assistants saw the eldest Plumlee brother at a summer camp many years and introduced himself. The kid said, "I know all about Davidson and it's a great school. But I can't go there because I'm majoring in Engineering. My brothers are, too."

I've never checked if any of the brothers graduated with Engineering degrees.
While that would be nice, I don't blame any of these young men for taking their time and choosing what they feel is the best fit for them. I will happily support the kids who end up becoming Wildcats with no regrets.
Miles - Psych
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml? ... ID=1580059

Mason - Psych & Anthropology http://www.seniorclassaward.com/athletes/mason_plumlee/

Marshall - History
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/msu ... a_duke.pdf

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:44 pm

Hmmmm...dishonesty at Duke? 🙄

Edited, to demonstrate that all these P5 schools look alike to me....
Last edited by MrMac on Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:46 pm

Plumlee meant train engineer.

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:46 pm

On the other hand, how many 'Big Time' athletic programs are going to "allow" their student-athletes to pursue such a rigorous and time-consuming curriculum?

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:09 pm

I forget the player, but one of the more impressive things I've heard, was when a Purdue player for Gene Keady had to miss practice in order to take his 1st solo flight in a large passenger jet.

citycat

Post by citycat » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:48 am

One of the Plumlee parents was a Pharmacist and the other was an Engineer. When the first Plumlee son was being noticed by college recruiters, the family had no clue all three brothers would be good enough to play in the NBA. Their college choice was probably influenced by their parents wanting them to be able to secure good jobs with a BS degree.

It is difficult for a college scholarship basketball player to be a Pre-Med or science major because s/he has trouble scheduling the labs around practices and other required meetings and training sessions.

When the Plumlees were being recruited by Duke, Coach K probably had a list of Duke players who majored in sciences or engineering. Examples off the top of my head include: Buzzy Harrison, Jay Buckley, Jack Marin, CB Claiborne, and George Burgin. Note the first four graduated in the 1960s.

JoMo

Post by JoMo » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:42 am

citycat wrote:One of the Plumlee parents was a Pharmacist and the other was an Engineer. When the first Plumlee son was being noticed by college recruiters, the family had no clue all three brothers would be good enough to play in the NBA. Their college choice was probably influenced by their parents wanting them to be able to secure good jobs with a BS degree.

It is difficult for a college scholarship basketball player to be a Pre-Med or science major because s/he has trouble scheduling the labs around practices and other required meetings and training sessions.

When the Plumlees were being recruited by Duke, Coach K probably had a list of Duke players who majored in sciences or engineering. Examples off the top of my head include: Buzzy Harrison, Jay Buckley, Jack Marin, CB Claiborne, and George Burgin. Note the first four graduated in the 1960s.
It would be really interesting to see the stats on what percentage of BS graduates in the US earn a STEM degree and what percentage of scholarship athletes earn a STEM degree. I'm biased (BS in Chemistry from Davidson), but I would wager that there is not a single player who gets significant playing time on the Alabama football team who is majoring in a STEM field.
TCC - trust, commitment, care

catborn'bred

Post by catborn'bred » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:11 am

A Bleacher report on college majors at P5 schools.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/265 ... ers#slide1

cat44

Post by cat44 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:57 am

On last year's basketball team, declared majors (non-freshmen) were: Econ 3, Sociology 3, Poli Sci 2, English 1, Music & Media 1, Physics 1. One was a dual major and two I don't know.

BaseRich97

Post by BaseRich97 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:14 pm

MrMac wrote:On the other hand, how many 'Big Time' athletic programs are going to "allow" their student-athletes to pursue such a rigorous and time-consuming curriculum?
I know that arian foster claimed on Joe Rogan's show that Tennessee would not allow him to major in Astronomy.

OTOH, Joshua Dobbs majored in aerospace engineering at Tennessee, so I don't know if they will let you if you are good enough or if you hold your ground, or if it was just the new regime.

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:21 pm

JoMo wrote:
citycat wrote:One of the Plumlee parents was a Pharmacist and the other was an Engineer. When the first Plumlee son was being noticed by college recruiters, the family had no clue all three brothers would be good enough to play in the NBA. Their college choice was probably influenced by their parents wanting them to be able to secure good jobs with a BS degree.

It would be really interesting to see the stats on what percentage of BS graduates in the US earn a STEM degree and what percentage of scholarship athletes earn a STEM degree. I'm biased (BS in Chemistry from Davidson), but I would wager that there is not a single player who gets significant playing time on the Alabama football team who is majoring in a STEM field.
Good luck with your FOIA. http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/coll ... 88019.html
The earth is round. Two plus two equals four.

~Tip well.