DavidsonCats.com Forum Index DavidsonCats.com
Discuss Davidson College Athletics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Up next: at Dayton
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
i77cat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Up next: at Dayton Reply with quote

Next Saturday. Dayton has a game at Duquesne tomorrow. Massey's numbers haven't been updated following the Guilford game, but he had us at only 6% and predicted a score of 14-37.

https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=2069&s=300937
Joneohcat83

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the extra time afforded us by the schedule change will give the D the time needed to become more effective.
i77cat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton trailed Duquesne 6-21 late in the first half. Eventually made it 26-31. Then they intercepted Duquesne, drove into the red zone, and had it first and goal at the 6. Turned it over on downs with 2:21 to play. Dayton used timeouts well and forced Duquesne into a 3rd down play with 1:58 left. Duquesne converted and held on for the win.
i77cat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Massey number has moved from 562 to 486 to 475 and now we're at 434. For Dayton, we're #434 at #294. 7% chance. 20-41. All those points against our non-D1 opponents means that Massey thinks we'll have more PF than PA until sometime during the San Diego game. Massey projects that we'll give up at least 31 points in every Pioneer game.

85Wildcatsky

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i77cat wrote:
Our Massey number has moved from 562 to 486 to 475 and now we're at 434. For Dayton, we're #434 at #294. 7% chance. 20-41. All those points against our non-D1 opponents means that Massey thinks we'll have more PF than PA until sometime during the San Diego game. Massey projects that we'll give up at least 31 points in every Pioneer game.

Any idea how our team has done vs Massey rating in the past?
wildforthecats

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a shot at quite a few Pioneer teams this season.
Bill Cobb
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton is 1-2 but all three games have been against FCS scholly programs. They are 1-0 at home where they thumped Robert Morris. We haven't beaten them since most of our players were elementary school, although some games have been very competitive.

They run and pass the ball pretty equally. Tucker Yinger (RB) is averaging well over 100 yards per game. They've been using two QBs and both have been effective.

Their punt and kickoff return games have been fantastic. Their kicker has 8 touch backs.

Defensively, they have given up a lot of passing yards and have not been very successful in pressuring the opposing QB.

We really have to shore up our special teams and defense to have a chance. I think we will score some points. This game is hard to gauge as they have had an exponentially tougher non-conference schedule.

They had a very weak crowd their only home game. Hopefully we will have a good crowd of Wildcats there.
85Wildcatsky

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going all in on the Cats

Cats 45 - Dayton 38

I have watched tons of option football and typically if the defensive coordinatior has seen the offense frequently in his career, he can be ready. Dayton staff...not so much. I think we catch them off balanced after playing 3 strong FCS programs. We need to grind on O to limit Dayton's offensive production. Run the clock and cut back on Dayton's time of possession. Coach Abell is a solid game coach and our 3 headed monster of Wicks, Dugger, and Phelps is as solid as the triple option can get in those positions.

Live Stream. https://www.facebook.com/ncaafcsfootball/videos/661022217618397/
MikeMaloy15

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rest of us in the 70s classes are still a little disoriented when reading about Davidson naturally enjoying success with a running offense.

The words "wing T" still make me want to hide behind the couch like a dog that hears a newspaper being rolled up.

Edited to add that I'm aware of 85's presence in the middle of all that.
cat44

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm off to the game in an hour. Taking a couple of pretty good high school juniors with me.
85Wildcatsky

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cats up 14- 0 Go Cats!!!!!!
i77cat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

85Wildcatsky wrote:
i77cat wrote:

Any idea how our team has done vs Massey rating in the past?

Typically, his numbers are amazingly accurate. He was way off on the Guilford total, but that's understandable. He nailed it today.
Bill Cobb
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got back from Dayton a bit over an hour ago. Mixed thoughts on this game. Before I really study up on the stats, here's what I thought I saw.

*. You have to beat Dayton as they make no mistakes and will not beat themselves. So you have to play pretty error free. We didn't do that in the second half.

* We have some really good football players. Dayton had more good football players.

* Our OLine couldn't get to the second level blocking. So our backs couldn't get to the second level.

*. Dayton's special teams are very good.

*. It seemed that we were always starting our possessions deep in our territory and they started theirs with good field position.

*. We are aggressive and fun to watch. WHen we get more players we will be a tough out.

*. I truly believe our administration wants to win in football.
85Wildcatsky

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may not have made an overall difference in the game but Dayton's TD that put them ahead at 21 should have been called a touchback with Davidson getting the ball. The Cat defender slapped the ball and the runner bobbled the ball and never regained control of the ball and eventually lost it out the back of the end zone. The replay online showed that but I don't think FCS can use replay.

Cats do have some athletes and I concur, they need more.
SanteCat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at game and agree with Bill Cobb's initial assessments. We did not have an effective way to get them out of their 8 & 9 "in the box" in the second half.
Game was much closer in person than score. Blown call on fumble before their 3rd score was a HUGE momentum changer that we didn't recover from.
Dayton made ZERO mistakes.
Disparity in field position was a big factor - hence special teams need to be better.
A lot of positive things to build on. I understand that we got commitments last week from our top 2 RB prospects!
We will get there!

GO Cats
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Football All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: