DavidsonCats.com Forum Index DavidsonCats.com
Discuss Davidson College Athletics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why is college in America so expensive?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Non-athletics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevelee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Why is college in America so expensive? Reply with quote

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2018/09/why-is-college-so-expensive-in-america/569884/

Among many other things, mention is made of a concern of mine about schools like Davidson, in that bright kids might not apply because they wrongly assume they can't afford to go:

Quote:
For example, among high-achieving, low-income students (who have grades and test scores that put them in the top 4 percent of U.S. students and would be eligible for generous financial aid at elite colleges), the vast majority apply to no selective colleges at all, according to research by Caroline Hoxby and Christopher Avery. “Ironically, these students are often paying more to go to a nonselective four-year college or even a community college than they would pay to go to the most selective, most resource-rich institutions in the United States,” as Hoxby told NPR.

MrMac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I had that low-income thing down pretty well. Still, I must have been stupid...I applied only to dear old DC, and I wasnt aware (if it even existed then) of the concept of early decision. I didnt know any better. The admissions gurus must have taken pity on me. Youth and inexperience can sometime result in necessary boldness.
stevelee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the advantage of attending a high school that sent usually one guy a year to Davidson, had at least one Davidson grad on the faculty, had Dr. Jackson give a lecture, and whose guidance counselor was in touch with H. Edmunds White from time to time. I first met him in Shelby.

Also, we were close by enough that we got Davidson basketball games on TV, so the school was definitely not off my radar.

There apparently are many places where students have never met anyone who went to a selective college, much less knew anything about them or their financial aid policies, etc. That's an area I would like the college to get more exposure. I like the move to the A10, but if anything it will attract more affluent folks from the northeast more than these folks, I suspect.

And I hasten to add that in my era, graduates from my high school went to Duke, Cornell, and Harvard, so the idea of selective institutions was not foreign.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Non-athletics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: