DavidsonCats.com Forum Index DavidsonCats.com
Discuss Davidson College Athletics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2018-19 Non-Conference Schedule
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Men's Basketball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First game will be at 7pm
BDL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/jeff-gordon/tipsheet-suddenly-wichita-state-basketball-is-scrambling/article_5adadeba-f7ea-5344-81af-248ff69c90ae.amp.html

Quick read on our 1st round opponent (update: Markis Mcduffie pulled out from the draft).
bvgerd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It always seems to be the case with these thanksgiving/early season tournaments, but our first game against Wichita State is probably the most important game of the nonconference schedule for us. If we win we’ll have what looks like a very strong schedule against unc, temple, wake forest, Wichita State, likely Purdue, and then VT/Alabama. That would give us a lot of opportunities to get some really solid wins against pretty good programs. If we lose to Wichita State the selection committee will likely hold it against us for losing to a mid major and the next two games in Charleston are unlikely to help our chances at a bid or higher seed if we win the a10 tournament.

Last edited by bvgerd on Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
rbarney

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Wichita State Reply with quote

It looks like our opener with Wichita State could be dubbed the Reconstruction Bowl in the Charleston Classic. It will be an event in itself to see how two good coaches reshuffle when so much of their fire power has graduated, gone elsewhere or declared for the draft.The winner gets a framed and autographed picture of John Calipari.
Waitress

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What’s the “nonbracketed” game thingy all about?
And if it is, that’s not my fault.
And if it was, I didn’t mean it.
And if I did…
You deserved it.

~Tip well.
JustaCatsFan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="CatsUpNorth"]playing either Purdue or Va Tech in the second round if we win (if they also win).]

I believe we play App State or Purdue in the 2nd rnd... the only way we could play VT, is if we both win out our brackets and meet in the Championship game.
JustaCatsFan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waitress wrote:

I could be wrong, but I believe it gives every team a 4th game against an improbable tourney matchup in the field of eight. In our case, it is unlikely that we would meet Northeastern in the 3 games scheduled. So we will host them on the 24th at Belk. Northeastern is an unlikely opponent in the tourney because we would both would have to win out our brackets to play in the Championship game.
Waitress

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustaCatsFan wrote:
Waitress wrote:

I could be wrong, but I believe it gives every team a 4th game against an improbable tourney matchup in the field of eight. In our case, it is unlikely that we would meet Northeastern in the 3 games scheduled. So we will host them on the 24th at Belk. Northeastern is an unlikely opponent in the tourney because we would both would have to win out our brackets to play in the Championship game.
I thought it was a little odd to see a potential holiday tournament opponent on the regular season schedule, but that helps explain it.
And if it is, that’s not my fault.
And if it was, I didn’t mean it.
And if I did…
You deserved it.

~Tip well.
i77cat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. My guess is they have Purdue as the 1, Wichita State as the 4. Thus, us as the 5. If we lose to the 4, we'd be likely to face ASU. We'd be projected to win that and play in the championship game of the lose's bracket, the 5/6 place game. Northeastern is the most likely team to make it to that game from the other bracket. To my eye, the teams we are least likely to face in Charleston are VPI and Alabama.
MikeMaloy15

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wftc's attention must be elsewhere, or else he would have pointed out that Davidson played Vandy in both a holiday tournament and a separate regular season game in 67-68.
wildforthecats

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeMaloy15 wrote:
wftc's attention must be elsewhere, or else he would have pointed out that Davidson played Vandy in both a holiday tournament and a separate regular season game in 67-68.

Yes, I was out tonight. They also played at Cincinnati in 1972-1973, then again two weeks later in the championship game of the CIT.
BDF

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustaCatsFan wrote:
Waitress wrote:

It also has to do with the NCAA rules around number of games scheduled.

Here’s more information that has the added benefit of noting Charlotte’s two losses in 48 hours to Miami. https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/platform/amp/2015/7/9/8916893/2015-16-college-basketball-early-season-tournaments-exempt-background
citycat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UNCW has released their schedule. Our game in Wilmington is 1 December 2018 @ 7:00 PM.
collegecoach8502

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite done yet

"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."
wildforthecats

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

collegecoach8502 wrote:
Not quite done yet

Cool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Men's Basketball All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: