DavidsonCats.com Forum Index DavidsonCats.com
Discuss Davidson College Athletics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Red Lids
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildforthecats

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: New Red Lids Reply with quote

https://www.uniswag.com/blog/2018/6/9/new-red-helmets-for-davidson
Derek Smith

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

last time wildcats wore red helmets was...
stevelee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hung out some with Walt Greene this weekend. No particular news about that, just to remind us that there were some really good football players in my era, and I was pleased to know some of them fairly well.

Bob Lane was the only basketball player I had some conversations with, other than the ones I see more regularly around here.
wildforthecats

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Smith wrote:
last time wildcats wore red helmets was...

Derek should know the answer.
Derek Smith

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should?

I found something online that says 1994.
wildforthecats

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Smith wrote:
I should?

So, you are saying the last time was during the 28-14 bowl victory?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp8OqLT3vL4
JoMo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildforthecats wrote:
Derek Smith wrote:
I should?

So, you are saying the last time was during the 28-14 bowl victory?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp8OqLT3vL4

I played in that game, but yes, we wore red helmets for at least two of my four years.
SCCat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time Davidson wore red lids was 1995. Black lids starting in 1996 until I think Coach Toop changed to white ones.
DC69Wildcat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevelee wrote:
I hung out some with Walt Greene this weekend. No particular news about that, just to remind us that there were some really good football players in my era, and I was pleased to know some of them fairly well.

Bob Lane was the only basketball player I had some conversations with, other than the ones I see more regularly around here.

Walter Greene went to UNC School of Medicine after Davidson, then did a surgery residency at Dallas Parkland Hospital, followed by orthopedics at Carolina. He became a renowned pediatric orthopedist to whom I referred a few patients.
stevelee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DC69Wildcat wrote:
stevelee wrote:

Walter Greene went to UNC School of Medicine after Davidson, then did a surgery residency at Dallas Parkland Hospital, followed by orthopedics at Carolina. He became a renowned pediatric orthopedist to whom I referred a few patients.

Neat to find out. Sounds like he came out to Parkland about the time I left Dallas. He, of course, told me none of that. At the barbecue supper on Saturday, I noted that I hadn't seen a particular guy in 50 years, but I knew he was somewhere at the reunion. Eventually I was directed to him and said hello. To my surprise that turned into a conversation of at least a half hour as we ignored the others around us, so catching up, some deep theological and personal reflection on his part, mostly. I knew he was a lawyer. I didn't know he had gone to Harvard Law. He mentioned it only with regard to how we dealt with ROTC. That topic came up several times over the weekend in terms of the memorial service and the war monument. As far as any of us know, no one in our class was killed in Vietnam.

Between the forty-fifth and the fiftieth there was a shift from job-related conversation to more about what we are doing now. Not everyone is retired, but those of us who are seem to have made positive transitions. The old profession might live on part time, and often as volunteers. Also of great interest to those not in this area were the new buildings and other kinds of changes to the campus.

I didn't ask Walter whether he still plays the cello. He didn't have an outlet for that at Davidson in those days, and may have given it up for good then. His life after Davidson sounds intense enough that it could have been a good outlet. I recall that Duke for my individual interviewer paired me with a medical school professor who played the French horn.
stevelee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add that we were given a hefty volume at registration that is the 50th Reunion "Quips and Cranks." It contains the answers we gave to a questionnaire about our lives and times. I haven't had time to look at it yet, but heard that even some who didn't attend this weekend were very thorough in filling it out. I'll read Walter's page first. It will take me a while to deal with the list of things I put off until after the reunion, the most immediate of which is getting the music ready to inflict on the Episcopalians the next two Sundays.
gopher49

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevelee wrote:
I'll add that we were given a hefty volume at registration that is the 50th Reunion "Quips and Cranks." It contains the answers we gave to a questionnaire about our lives and times. I haven't had time to look at it yet, but heard that even some who didn't attend this weekend were very thorough in filling it out. I'll read Walter's page first. It will take me a while to deal with the list of things I put off until after the reunion, the most immediate of which is getting the music ready to inflict on the Episcopalians the next two Sundays.

See if you can get them to sing some hymns with a real melody Wink
85Wildcatsky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great move to the red. I always thought black was horrible in September and early October. It would add to your overall body temp and it was nasty.
That being said I did like our fish net, tear away jerseys from back in the 70's era. They were cool and bad ass looking.
wildforthecats

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

85Wildcatsky wrote:
Great move to the red. I always thought black was horrible in September and early October. It would add to your overall body temp and it was nasty.
That being said I did like our fish net, tear away jerseys from back in the 70's era. They were cool and bad ass looking.

I got one of the black fishnet jerseys at a 11/11/89 sale. I gave it to fan years ago.
Dr. Bliss

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildforthecats wrote:
85Wildcatsky wrote:

I got one of the black fishnet jerseys at a 11/11/89 sale. I gave it to fan years ago.

Thank God. I couldn't handle you in fishnets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Football All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: