DavidsonCats.com Forum Index DavidsonCats.com
Discuss Davidson College Athletics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

spring report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Davidson sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevelee

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: spring report Reply with quote

The DAF report many of us received in email celebrated a lot of things we all know about, and think worth celebrating.

Two items of interest I didn't know were

Quote:
First, the Davidson Athletic Fund has successfully completed the $250,000 scholarship matching gift challenge in support of wrestling. Thanks to a lot of hard work and the generosity of our donors, we were able to meet this challenge two months before our June 30, 2018 deadline.

In addition, we’d like to congratulate the Davidson field hockey team for being the first team in Davidson history to have 100 percent of current athletes make a gift to Davidson College. Congrats to Head Field Hockey Coach Ginny Turner, the team captains and each of the team members for executing this challenge in less than 24 hours during the #AllinForDavidson challenge April 18.

mccabemi

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A coach should not be asking players to give money to the school. Not of any amount.
slowcat95

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mccabemi wrote:
A coach should not be asking players to give money to the school. Not of any amount.

Completely agree. Not for any sport. Nor for any student (athlete or not).
genteel

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowcat95 wrote:
mccabemi wrote:

I agree that it's not ideal, having been a (relatively) poor college student myself. That said, I believe the underlying strategy is to build a habit of giving post-graduation--I was told that's the intent behind the senior class gift campaign. Perhaps that's what's going on here... in which case, I hope it's successful.
i77cat

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the kind of thing that AD Clunie can fix.
stevelee

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope none of the young ladies read this board.
mccabemi

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowcat95 wrote:
mccabemi wrote:

Not sure I see the “any student” point. If the tennis coach asked me, the swimmer, to donate money to Davidson I’d have no problem saying “no.” If the swimming coach asked me I’d feel like I couldn’t say, “no” especially if they emphasized it in any way.
stevelee

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It didn't say anything about coach involvement. (Peer pressure may be worse, I realize.)

Jumping to conclusions is the most exercise many of us get.
slowcat95

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mccabemi wrote:
slowcat95 wrote:
mccabemi wrote:

Not sure I see the “any student” point. If the tennis coach asked me, the swimmer, to donate money to Davidson I’d have no problem saying “no.” If the swimming coach asked me I’d feel like I couldn’t say, “no” especially if they emphasized it in any way.

I'm thinking about the student whose parents scrimp for two decades to be able to save enough to send their kids to school, or who take out massive loans: it just doesn't seem right to ask them for even more money. At least not before they've got their degree and some earning potential.

I think it's fine if kids can and want to donate while they are students. But it makes me uncomfortable to think they've been pressured to do so.
slowcat95

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevelee wrote:

Me too, but for many other reasons...
stevelee

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For clarification, I am the one who offered to bake cookies for the football team so their parents wouldn't have to.

However, I did not volunteer to park cars for basketball games so the baseball team wouldn't have to, nor to flip burgers at baseball games.
stevelee

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowcat95 wrote:
stevelee wrote:

I would agree with those reasons, too. But I also wouldn't want a bunch of young women who felt they accomplished something by meeting a goal to see their efforts poopooed by a bunch of grumpy old men.
i77cat

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed the part where anyone, much less a bunch, downplayed the achievement.
mccabemi

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowcat95 wrote:
mccabemi wrote:
slowcat95 wrote:
mccabemi wrote:

I'm thinking about the student whose parents scrimp for two decades to be able to save enough to send their kids to school, or who take out massive loans: it just doesn't seem right to ask them for even more money. At least not before they've got their degree and some earning potential.

I think it's fine if kids can and want to donate while they are students. But it makes me uncomfortable to think they've been pressured to do so.

I see one as unethical (I have power over you) and the other as unsavory (asking a poor person for a dime).
mccabemi

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevelee wrote:
slowcat95 wrote:
stevelee wrote:

I would agree with those reasons, too. But I also wouldn't want a bunch of young women who felt they accomplished something by meeting a goal to see their efforts poopooed by a bunch of grumpy old men.

If they all freely gave they can poopoo me to their heart's delight!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Davidson sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: