spring report

A place to discuss topics which impact all of Davidson's sports
stevelee

spring report

Post by stevelee » Fri May 11, 2018 4:01 pm

The DAF report many of us received in email celebrated a lot of things we all know about, and think worth celebrating.

Two items of interest I didn't know were
First, the Davidson Athletic Fund has successfully completed the $250,000 scholarship matching gift challenge in support of wrestling. Thanks to a lot of hard work and the generosity of our donors, we were able to meet this challenge two months before our June 30, 2018 deadline.

In addition, we’d like to congratulate the Davidson field hockey team for being the first team in Davidson history to have 100 percent of current athletes make a gift to Davidson College. Congrats to Head Field Hockey Coach Ginny Turner, the team captains and each of the team members for executing this challenge in less than 24 hours during the #AllinForDavidson challenge April 18.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

mccabemi

Post by mccabemi » Tue May 29, 2018 3:13 pm

A coach should not be asking players to give money to the school. Not of any amount.

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Tue May 29, 2018 4:20 pm

mccabemi wrote:A coach should not be asking players to give money to the school. Not of any amount.
Completely agree. Not for any sport. Nor for any student (athlete or not).
she/hers

genteel

Post by genteel » Tue May 29, 2018 5:39 pm

slowcat95 wrote:
mccabemi wrote:A coach should not be asking players to give money to the school. Not of any amount.
I agree that it's not ideal, having been a (relatively) poor college student myself. That said, I believe the underlying strategy is to build a habit of giving post-graduation--I was told that's the intent behind the senior class gift campaign. Perhaps that's what's going on here... in which case, I hope it's successful.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue May 29, 2018 8:43 pm

This is the kind of thing that AD Clunie can fix.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue May 29, 2018 9:13 pm

I hope none of the young ladies read this board.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

mccabemi

Post by mccabemi » Thu May 31, 2018 6:51 am

slowcat95 wrote:
Not sure I see the “any student” point. If the tennis coach asked me, the swimmer, to donate money to Davidson I’d have no problem saying “no.” If the swimming coach asked me I’d feel like I couldn’t say, “no” especially if they emphasized it in any way.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu May 31, 2018 9:27 am

It didn't say anything about coach involvement. (Peer pressure may be worse, I realize.)

Jumping to conclusions is the most exercise many of us get.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Thu May 31, 2018 10:15 am

mccabemi wrote:
slowcat95 wrote:
Not sure I see the “any student” point. If the tennis coach asked me, the swimmer, to donate money to Davidson I’d have no problem saying “no.” If the swimming coach asked me I’d feel like I couldn’t say, “no” especially if they emphasized it in any way.
I'm thinking about the student whose parents scrimp for two decades to be able to save enough to send their kids to school, or who take out massive loans: it just doesn't seem right to ask them for even more money. At least not before they've got their degree and some earning potential.

I think it's fine if kids can and want to donate while they are students. But it makes me uncomfortable to think they've been pressured to do so.
she/hers

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Thu May 31, 2018 10:16 am

stevelee wrote:I hope none of the young ladies read this board.
Me too, but for many other reasons...
she/hers

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu May 31, 2018 10:21 am

For clarification, I am the one who offered to bake cookies for the football team so their parents wouldn't have to.

However, I did not volunteer to park cars for basketball games so the baseball team wouldn't have to, nor to flip burgers at baseball games.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu May 31, 2018 10:23 am

slowcat95 wrote:
I would agree with those reasons, too. But I also wouldn't want a bunch of young women who felt they accomplished something by meeting a goal to see their efforts poopooed by a bunch of grumpy old men.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Thu May 31, 2018 10:36 am

I missed the part where anyone, much less a bunch, downplayed the achievement.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

mccabemi

Post by mccabemi » Thu May 31, 2018 1:17 pm

slowcat95 wrote:
mccabemi wrote:
slowcat95 wrote:
I'm thinking about the student whose parents scrimp for two decades to be able to save enough to send their kids to school, or who take out massive loans: it just doesn't seem right to ask them for even more money. At least not before they've got their degree and some earning potential.

I think it's fine if kids can and want to donate while they are students. But it makes me uncomfortable to think they've been pressured to do so.
I see one as unethical (I have power over you) and the other as unsavory (asking a poor person for a dime).

mccabemi

Post by mccabemi » Thu May 31, 2018 1:20 pm

stevelee wrote:
slowcat95 wrote:
I would agree with those reasons, too. But I also wouldn't want a bunch of young women who felt they accomplished something by meeting a goal to see their efforts poopooed by a bunch of grumpy old men.
If they all freely gave they can poopoo me to their heart's delight!