Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
Wildcat16

Post by Wildcat16 » Sun May 20, 2018 9:00 pm

Just to lay out the timeline of events. Saddiq Bey committed to NC State on November 3rd, 2017. He then signed his letter of intent on November 8th.

On March 25th, 2018, references to Bey were made on this message board. I'm sure those references were based on some sort of information that said posters received/heard about Bey. This just so happens to coincide with the departure of NC State assistant coach A.W. Hamilton, as he was hired as the head coach at Eastern Kentucky. Hamilton was the lead recruiter for Bey. On May 15, Bey asked for his release from NC State.

The schools in Bey's final 6 (no specific order): Northwestern, Princeton, Xavier, NC State, Miami, Pitt. Since his November 8th commitment, Pitt fired Kevin Stallings (hired Jeff Capel) and Chris Mack left Xavier for Louisville.

All in all, the speculation with Bey and Davidson could be warranted. To what degree, I have no clue.

DCA06

Post by DCA06 » Mon May 21, 2018 2:38 pm

Read Bob's analysis of Steph's game 3 performance. Could not attend because he has something he needs to stick around for now. Hmm.

chantillycat

Post by chantillycat » Mon May 21, 2018 2:54 pm

"... coming out of the murky, dreary jungle of untutored mediocrity."

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Mon May 21, 2018 2:57 pm

ChantillyCat wrote:This would be my guess: https://www.davidson.edu/news/news-stor ... ss-of-2018
Wednesday?

chantillycat

Post by chantillycat » Mon May 21, 2018 2:58 pm

Sorry, my bad.
"... coming out of the murky, dreary jungle of untutored mediocrity."

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:43 am

DCA06 wrote:Read Bob's analysis of Steph's game 3 performance. Could not attend because he has something he needs to stick around for now. Hmm.
Or perhaps his son's wedding that had about every Davidson basketball alum in the last 10 years in attendance.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Tue May 22, 2018 9:59 am

This is the line (from the 5/21 Observer story):

"I was supposed to go out there on Wednesday [5/23], but now I have something here I need to do."

Did the wedding already happen? If so, then that doesn't seem to apply to Wednesday. Obviously Coach McKillop is a busy guy with a lot of commitments. Just because he has to be around Davidson on a Wednesday doesn't necessarily mean there's a recruit on campus.

But I think that's the line that has people wondering...

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue May 22, 2018 12:09 pm

Whenever the wedding was, I doubt he was suddenly surprised by the date and had already planned to be away.

The most parsimonious guess would be that something relating to some possible recruit is involved. He is a busy man, and recruiting is a major cause of that. Speaking engagements would be another factor. If a potential major donor was going to be here for the day, that would cause a change of his plans. Two of those could turn out to be really good news, so choose your fantasy.

And in terms of minor donors, this week I will write my final check for the locker that Manu and then Rusty have used so far. So I'll treat myself to a good meal or some ice cream or something to celebrate. I hope not to pay my other pledge toward the Vance Center for a long time.

In a sort-of related matter, I have been asked to have the invocation and blessing at our Friday night reunion supper. That will be preceded by a period for cocktails. Prior to that event, there will be a separate event of cocktails. Given that I've not acquired much tolerance for alcohol, the prayer might be interesting. I hope not interesting enough to provide material for a treadstart this fall.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

RichmondCat

Post by RichmondCat » Wed May 23, 2018 9:09 am

New interview with Saddiq Bey. Some nonspecific hope therein.

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2018/05 ... ssion=true

DCA06

Post by DCA06 » Wed May 23, 2018 12:30 pm

I like our chances, to have at least reached out.
I think talent attracts talent - and we are certainly building a pretty interesting roster of players that are versatile and play tough. Our depth is great - again if we are healthy (Hope new strength coach focuses on that for the team).
We really could use a 3-4 guy with Bey's length and skillset. Bigger tougher D'Brooks comp.
As an aside, we know the top mid majors always have more depth and interchangeable starters/bench. URI showed that. I think for us to be consistent in top 25 - we need that, so it will be critical to have Nathan back, at least in a role where he can give 10mins a game hard, same with KP. With their knee injuries, I think you want them to play high level for shorter burst of minutes and given their skillsets they can overwhelm opponent reserves or at least not fall off skill wise vs. opposing starters when we give our starters break. As coach said he has a lot of lineup options. Maybe we don't recruit Bey because we believe Luke can be successful in 3 spot, but I think Bey would also make a very athletic undersized 4.

RichmondCat

Post by RichmondCat » Wed May 23, 2018 1:55 pm

Coach McKillop on WFNZ. The usual Curry discussion plus some praise for Chris Clunie, continued kool-aid for Luke Frampton and learn how to pronounce Brajkovic.

http://www.wfnz.com/media/audio-channel ... ger-midday

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Wed May 23, 2018 2:13 pm

RichmondCat wrote:Coach McKillop on WFNZ. The usual Curry discussion plus some praise for Chris Clunie, continued kool-aid for Luke Frampton and learn how to pronounce Brajkovic.

I am not positive coach is correct on the pronunciation based on PA announcers in Europe and other interviews, i think it’s pronounced brye-ko vich (Brye like rye bread). I’m also not sure and am sure coach knows what he’s talking about, but I am sure I and many others here will struggle while doing their best to get it right.

ac3983

Post by ac3983 » Wed May 23, 2018 9:28 pm

DCA06 wrote:I like our chances, to have at least reached out.
I think talent attracts talent - and we are certainly building a pretty interesting roster of players that are versatile and play tough. Our depth is great - again if we are healthy (Hope new strength coach focuses on that for the team).
We really could use a 3-4 guy with Bey's length and skillset. Bigger tougher D'Brooks comp.
As an aside, we know the top mid majors always have more depth and interchangeable starters/bench. URI showed that. I think for us to be consistent in top 25 - we need that, so it will be critical to have Nathan back, at least in a role where he can give 10mins a game hard, same with KP. With their knee injuries, I think you want them to play high level for shorter burst of minutes and given their skillsets they can overwhelm opponent reserves or at least not fall off skill wise vs. opposing starters when we give our starters break. As coach said he has a lot of lineup options. Maybe we don't recruit Bey because we believe Luke can be successful in 3 spot, but I think Bey would also make a very athletic undersized 4.
Don't waste your energy. Not going to be a cat.

BDL

Post by BDL » Thu May 24, 2018 1:13 am

CatsUpNorth wrote:
RichmondCat wrote:Coach McKillop on WFNZ. The usual Curry discussion plus some praise for Chris Clunie, continued kool-aid for Luke Frampton and learn how to pronounce Brajkovic.

I think it’s pronounced brye-ko vich (Brye like rye bread)..
So I quickly researched “Brajkovic” and its a common Slovenian surname. Therefore, this would make sense because in balkan countries’ languages the “j” acts sort of as an “y”. For example, I had a serbian professor and her name was Marija and pronounced Ma-Ri-Ya.

Now, maybe since he is Austrian and not Slovenian (ancestors may have crossed borders) he prefers his name pronounced differently than it is typically in the Balkans. This is fairly common, I have a friend with a german last name but he pronounces it much different than a German speaker instinctually would.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu May 24, 2018 9:30 am

Chris once told me how his last name is pronounced in Sweden as opposed to how it is pronounced in Poland (and approximated in English).

Famously, Leonard Bernstein’s last name was pronounced by his relatives and ancestors ending with “-steen” sound. His film composer relative Elmer retained that pronunciation. Lenny preferred the more Germanized “-stine” for much of his career. I think he was still “-steen” when I was a kid.

I would expect the “aj” diphthong to come over into German as “ah-i” as in Breyer, but I could easily be wrong.

I think I worked out the “kw” phoneme and practiced a bit, but haven’t had the courage to try it out on Nate. I also have my version of the voiced “gw” by analogy in “Igwu” but may be jumping to too many conclusions. My version sounds African to me.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ