DavidsonCats.com Forum Index DavidsonCats.com
Discuss Davidson College Athletics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Up next: Dayton
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
i77cat

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Up next: Dayton Reply with quote

Thursday, May 17.
SkoCats68

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heads up everyone its the graduation weekend/ funky start time series. Friday is 2PM first pitch and Saturday/Senior Day is 11AM. Also worth noting that a sweep of the Flyers would bring the 'Cats to 35 wins on the season, equaling last year's total. Coach Cooke looking for wins 601-603 for his career.
Rudy2011

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Flyers are currently in 9th place with a 6-12 conference record. Taking 2 of 3 from the 10th-place Bonnies seems to have been their high water mark. Hopefully it stays that way

I say we drink the wine, eat the dogs, and use the papers for musket wadding.
mccabemi

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The baseball team continues to be quite a story. Do we offer more scholarships than we did, say, 10 years ago?
wildforthecats

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mccabemi wrote:
The baseball team continues to be quite a story. Do we offer more scholarships than we did, say, 10 years ago?

Yes.
Waitress

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mccabemi wrote:
And more this year than last, right?

https://www.davidson.edu/news/news-stories/171110-four-full-scholarships-transform-davidson-baseball
And if it is, that’s not my fault.
And if it was, I didn’t mean it.
And if I did…
You deserved it.

~Tip well.
DC69Wildcat

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waitress wrote:
mccabemi wrote:

https://www.davidson.edu/news/news-stories/171110-four-full-scholarships-transform-davidson-baseball

Does Title IX require the college to come up with the money to match those 4 new scholarships on the women's side?
mccabemi

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool... I suppose I may have read that at some point but forgot. It seems like this will be the last of the 3 scholarship seasons.
Waitress

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DC69Wildcat wrote:
Waitress wrote:
mccabemi wrote:

Does Title IX require the college to come up with the money to match those 4 new scholarships on the women's side?
You read my mind. Collegecoach with an answer?
And if it is, that’s not my fault.
And if it was, I didn’t mean it.
And if I did…
You deserved it.

~Tip well.
dorp

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DC69Wildcat wrote:
Waitress wrote:
mccabemi wrote:

And if you can't fund those four, which men's program gets cut? Title IX is great.
catborn'bred

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Title IX is great! Of course, it has its flaws and issues, but its central purpose is being served. For all the complaints we read about men's sports (typically "minor" sports) being negatively impacted by Title IX at least equal time should be given to the positive growth of women's sports.
collegecoach8502

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waitress wrote:
DC69Wildcat wrote:
Waitress wrote:
mccabemi wrote:

You read my mind. Collegecoach with an answer?

In theory yes. However, it all depends where we stand in balancing the scholarships on both the men's and women's side. If we are ahead of the curve on the women's side, then no, we wouldn't have to offset the baseball scholarships by adding to the women's programs.

Dorp, I love you, but Title IX is not the downfall of men's sports. Small-minded administrators who would rather cut men's sports to fall in line with Title IX requirements than to increase funding for women's sports and increase opportunities for women are the ones to blame.

"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."
i77cat

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildforthecats wrote:
mccabemi wrote:

Yes.

No. Or at least not by much, if any. Last year we announced that we were rounding up to 3 full scholarships. I believe the consensus number was 2.8 before that. This summer we announced the addition of 4 new scholarships. That's huge. And it still leaves us well short of what Jim Murphy promised years ago. Namely, that all programs would have scholarship support equal to the A10 average for that sport. The A10 average for baseball was 9.7 the last time I saw the numbers. Give our coaches 9.7 and the NCAA tournament will be a possibility without relying on catching lightning in a bottle and having someone Durin the O'Linger out of people.
dorp

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

collegecoach8502 wrote:
Dorp, I love you, but Title IX is not the downfall of men's sports. Small-minded administrators who would rather cut men's sports to fall in line with Title IX requirements than to increase funding for women's sports and increase opportunities for women are the ones to blame.

I agree completely. But that money has to come from somewhere.
citycat

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are in a capital campaign raising money for athletic scholarships. Assuming some of the money being donated is not allocated to any specific sport, just allocate more of the undesignated money to women's scholarships.

If there is a discrepancy that would irk the Title IX auditors, find a donor(s) who will match whatever is given for a Women of '77 Scholarship.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: