DavidsonCats.com Forum Index DavidsonCats.com
Discuss Davidson College Athletics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wanna read Amanda Ottaway's book?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Women's Basketball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Bliss

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i77cat wrote:
Finished it last night. An excellent read. The best book about Davidson athletics that I've read. To be honest, it is the only book I've ever finished about Davidson athletics. Very fun read. I hope that Otto and her teammates will continue to be involved in the program. We now have a better coach. The AD change will almost certainly be for the better. Concussion protocols are better. Overuse/abuse injuries from practicing on the upper courts should be reduced. And we are playing in a better conference. I expect slightly better fan support now that we have a team that is fun to watch again. I'm passing the book on to Cobb.

Oooh, some would think that sacrilegious.
stevelee

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't make it all the way through Nik's little book on free throw shooting or Ben Allison's book on playing in the US?

Not even The Shot?

Not even the two relevant chapters in My Losing Season?

I keep forgetting to look for Amanda's book at the two stores here. It sounds like it deserves a place on my "local color" shelf.
i77cat

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't know about Nik's book. Or about Ben's. Read a lot of Kruse's book, but not all of it. Too soon. Probably always will be. Did read some of Conroy's book, but no where close to all of it. I read all of Otto's book and kept looking at the rosters and media guides of those seasons to make sure I had the right faces in my mind when I read about her teammates.
stevelee

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to reading her book.

Since I'm not trying to shoot free throws and am not a Brit wanting to play college basketball in the US, I'm obviously not part of the intended audience. But I did enjoy reading them. Ben's book begins with his experience underneath MSG before a game.

One time when my old roommate was here, he was reading the Conroy book. I got a copy not too long thereafter and read it. Two chapters in the book deal with the two games they played Davidson his senior year. The chapter titles are "Lefty Called My Name" and "Davidson." A lot of the non-basketball parts of the book deal with his and his siblings' eventual reconciliation with their father. I didn't read the book or see The Great Santini. It is beyond my comprehension that any man could be so weak/cowardly as to beat up his wife and children. (And I tend to be of the in vino veritas school when it comes to blaming alcohol.) I realize it is not that uncommon, but luckily I never had a professional situation to deal with. My level of hatred is a moral failure on my part, I realize. I'm glad there are people who are capable of trying to help. Anyway, I don't think I could make it through the movie, much less the book.

Gerdy as far as I know is the most prolific author among former players, but I've not read any of his books.
Waitress

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where’s the book now?
And if it is, that’s not my fault.
And if it was, I didn’t mean it.
And if I did…
You deserved it.

~Tip well.
i77cat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Cobb.
Waitress

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i77cat wrote:
Bill Cobb.
He has time to read?
And if I did…
You deserved it.

~Tip well.
stevelee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the college store on Thursday with a visiting classmate. While he was shopping for apparel, I went upstairs to see if they had Amanda's book.

The display of Davidson-related books was nowhere in sight, and the whole level is in textbook mode preparing for the imminent return of students.

The guy in the office told me that he had never heard of her book, and searched for it on his computer. He said that is something they definitely should carry, and he would see into it once the textbook crunch was over.
stevelee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ate lunch after I left the eye doctor’s, and was still somewhat vision impaired as I drove back. I was aided by the almost opaque glasses they had given Mother to wear for a while after cataract surgery. As I merged on to I-77, the phone rang, and since it was the lawn mower repair man, I had to take the call. Somehow I lived to get to the PO, but had no mail in my box, at least none I could see. My judgment being impaired along with my eyesight, obviously, I walked down to Ben and Jerry’s.

After the ice cream, I thought to check Main Street Books, and Amanda’s book was displayed so prominently, even I could see it. I also bought a couple more books. I was in a book store, OK?

Maybe I’ll get to start on it in the next few days.
stevelee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished reading the book tonight.

I started on it Friday night, I think. I read the opening chapters and then out of curiosity skipped to read Chapters 8 and 9, confirming some things I had suspected.

Yesterday I read the part I had skipped and then hastily skimmed back through 8 and 9, putting pieces back together with more context, and then read a little more.

This afternoon I got back to my audio project. Luckily the sides I digitized today are in better shape than the ones I worked on earlier in the summer, and I discovered that the side I had thought was just the eight section really has seven also, so I don't think I'm missing anything. After finishing what I think might be the final edit of two more sides, I decided to unwind before bed.

So I sat down to read a while, and didn't put the book down until I finished it. It certainly exceeded my high expectations.

She did not use the real names of the women players and coaches, but did for everyone else. I had multiple aha moments when I figured out what player a named represented. Some time I'll work out who more of them were. Head coaches presented no mystery.
stevelee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the college's arts calendar I see an October 16 Davidson Reads event featuring Amanda.
stevelee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had planned to go to Otto's reading and to a thing about Nina Simone, but didn't recall the dates. Tim came by Tuesday afternoon on his way back from Charlotte, and we had an early supper. He said there was something happening on campus that night, and I said I hadn't paid attention, since I had Choral Arts Society practice. He checked the college site on his phone and found that her reading and the Simone event was on the same program, in Tyler-Tallman that night. So he stayed to attend that. When I came out from the choral rehearsal hall, I saw the line up on the landing to get their books autographed. (I decided not to send mine out in the rain.) I interrupted to tell her how much I enjoyed the book.

Tim said the program was great. Her reading was about the after-game practice. Those of you who have read it will recall the significance of that for the program.

The Simone part included some musical performance, and he thought it was great overall.

I did say hi to a couple of the big fans of women's basketball I saw in the upstairs lobby.
Waitress

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn! I should have thought to ask the current reader to get it signed.
And if I did…
You deserved it.

~Tip well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Women's Basketball All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: