Strategic plan for Davidson athletics

A place to discuss topics which impact all of Davidson's sports
stevelee

Re: needs

Post by stevelee » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:30 pm

MrMac wrote:Appropriate, since yesterday was Epiphany Day.
A high school classmate posted this on Facebook:
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:59 pm

catnhat wrote:There is a Will DuBose scholarship fund for baseball. Some former players started it to honor Will after he'd worked with baseball for a long time. Will started at DC either my sophomore or junior year ('81-'82 or '82-'83) and is still going strong.
Does anybody know the status of that scholarship fund? I certainly have no problem with honoring Will. But I want to raise a strategic question. Let's say that collectively the accretion of our small to moderate donations would add up to something noticeable, how might that best affect the number of scholarships given? Is it quite possible that if we doubled the DuBose fund or added a new fund, might baseball still wind up giving 2.5 scholarships? What might be the threshold for moving that needle?

Let's say that somehow we scrounged up $1M. Would that mean they'd still have just 2.5 scholarships, but two of them would have names instead of just one?
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

wildcatspride

Post by wildcatspride » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:26 am

stevelee wrote:
catnhat wrote:There is a Will DuBose scholarship fund for baseball. Some former players started it to honor Will after he'd worked with baseball for a long time. Will started at DC either my sophomore or junior year ('81-'82 or '82-'83) and is still going strong.
Does anybody know the status of that scholarship fund? I certainly have no problem with honoring Will. But I want to raise a strategic question. Let's say that collectively the accretion of our small to moderate donations would add up to something noticeable, how might that best affect the number of scholarships given? Is it quite possible that if we doubled the DuBose fund or added a new fund, might baseball still wind up giving 2.5 scholarships? What might be the threshold for moving that needle?

Let's say that somehow we scrounged up $1M. Would that mean they'd still have just 2.5 scholarships, but two of them would have names instead of just one?
I was lucky enough to work with the scholarship during my time at Davidson. I have been gone for a while now so I cannot speak to where the numbers actually lie, but I was there to see the guys take the scholarship from an annual scholarship to an endowed scholarship, which is a huge accomplishment. Baseball has very strange rules in terms of scholarship awards due to some ways big time programs have awarded scholarships in the past. But, the endowment goal for the DuBose scholarship was to endow a quarter of a scholarship as that is the minimum award in baseball. Now that has been accomplished, the guys are looking at making a full scholarship. The endowment has been supplemented by the annual award which equates to about another quarter of a scholarship (I'm ballparking a bit here).

In essence, baseball now has about 3 scholarships to give out. If not for the guys who started and supported the DuBose scholarship, it would be 2.5 scholarships, meaning that the scholarship is additive to the budget.

It is also worth noting that while the DuBose scholarship story is a fantastic one, it is not the only nor the biggest philanthropically funded scholarship for baseball.

Again, my numbers may be slightly out of date, but the support of baseball from some of the names you have heard and some of the names you have not has been fantastic, and I believe we have seen the results begin to manifest themselves on the field.

I hope that answered your question. If not, please PM me.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:36 am

In essence, baseball now has about 3 scholarships to give out. If not for the guys who started and supported the DuBose scholarship, it would be 2.5 scholarships, meaning that the scholarship is additive to the budget.
That's exactly what i wanted to know. Thanks.

Given the low level of trust for the athletic (and sometimes otherwise) administration from people (knowledgeable and otherwise) on this board, I wanted some clarification. (Maybe I butted heads with the state legislature too often. And, yes, city, that was more than five years ago.)

So far the only money I've designated toward baseball has been current-year funding. As I readjust my charitable giving this spring, I will include the DuBose scholarship in the mix. In my mind I will be honoring not only Will, but also those players who have brought the fund to this point.

I'm basically rather stingy, so I want my charitable giving to go where I think it can have the most impact. If I think I can save a family from malaria for $10, that's my kind of charity. In a couple years I will have paid off my Vance Center pledge (well, hopefully not including the estate part), so I see that as a future opportunity for redirection, and not entirely to the DAF components, given my priorities.

I expect that this kind of information would be helpful for all of us who prefer lighting a little candle to cursing the darkness.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

wildcatspride

Post by wildcatspride » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:38 am

Thank you for all you do Steve.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:36 pm

So far the only money I've designated toward baseball has been current-year funding. As I readjust my charitable giving this spring, I will include the DuBose scholarship in the mix. In my mind I will be honoring not only Will, but also those players who have brought the fund to this point.
Bump, in part to remind myself, and partly to encourage others to do likewise. The current baseball winning streak should make us want to express tangibly our pride in these guys even more.

The next month will be a blur for me, from jet lag to unconsciousness. I usually pay my Vance Center pledge in May, and then apportion out odds and ends in June to finish giving for the college's fiscal year. If my mind is working, that will include the DuBose scholarship fund.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

TiredCat88

Post by TiredCat88 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:27 am

Repost for Olympic sports - Men's soccer

"Same old song and dance. Win some big games out of conference but can't get it done to sneak into conference championship. Happens every year. When will our BOT and administration realize our athletic program is in shambles. For our school, for our coaches and more importantly, for our student-athletes, when will people at the administrative level be held accountable for the athletic dumpster fire that is an embarrassment to all associated with Davidson."

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:45 am

From today's email from Gavin, in case you missed it:
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

citycat

Post by citycat » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:51 pm

It's not a good sign when we can't raise $1,000,000 for a 1992 Team Scholarship. The players on that team have been out of college long enough to have established themselves in stable careers. Their parents, if still alive, should have fond memories of that team. If they have passed away, perhaps they left their kids some money.

That team and the '84 & '85 Women's Tennis teams were our most successful teams. If we can't fund a scholarship to honor that team, where else can we turn.

One problem Davidson has is the lack of history of scholarships for anything but basketball. We can't tell a former athlete his/her education was dependent on a scholarship. They, probably their families, either paid or borrowed the money to send them to Davidson.

PS. Recent Hall of Fame inductee David Sprinkle is the father of Phelps Sprinkle, who was a member of the '92 Soccer team.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:54 pm

It's not a good sign when we can't raise $1,000,000 for a 1992 Team Scholarship.
Doesn't it say that there are commitments that will raise it to $1 million?
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

citycat

Post by citycat » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:59 pm

Then why doesn't it say they've raised $1 million?

If that team can only raise $1 million, what do we expect from the teams that didn't make the College Cup?

Rudy2011

Post by Rudy2011 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:11 pm

citycat wrote:Then why doesn't it say they've raised $1 million?
I once knew someone who booked a receivable as cash. Management was displeased
Carthago delenda est

I say we drink the wine, eat the dogs, and use the papers for musket wadding.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:20 pm

citycat wrote:Then why doesn't it say they've raised $1 million?

If that team can only raise $1 million, what do we expect from the teams that didn't make the College Cup?
Is "former Davidson soccer player on their best team" a job that pays especially well?
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

citycat

Post by citycat » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:08 pm

Who are you quoting? Why?

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:26 pm

citycat wrote:Who are you quoting? Why?
No, it is a fictional job title I made up for the purpose. I was wondering why this particular team should be expected to outpace their peers significantly in giving?
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ