DavidsonCats.com Forum Index DavidsonCats.com
Discuss Davidson College Athletics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interesting Stadium Layout in High Point

View previous topic :: View next topic  
citycat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Interesting Stadium Layout in High Point Reply with quote

High Point is building a baseball stadium downtown for an Independent League team that will move from Connecticut in 2019.

In one of the many stories about this in the Triad, it showed the stadium with a football gridiron on the field.

High Point has a high school stadium, Simeon Stadium, that seats 7-8,000. High Point doesn't need another high school football venue. The new stadium would probably not host many high school games, except Central vs Andrews, but might be a venue for college football.

Nearly 20 years ago, Tim Landis told me Campbell and High Point were going to add football and join the Pioneer League. So far, he's been 50% right.

High Point U's President, Nido Quebein (sp?), has been one of the leading fundraisers for the new stadium. They're starting to demolish the existing buildings on the property tomorrow morning and giving away hot dogs!

Can our distinguished man in High Point check this out tomorrow? An in-state Pioneer League rival would be great.
85Wildcatsky

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My youngest daughter is an illustrious grad from High Point class of '14. President Qubein has been quite the mover and shaker. Over the last couple of years there have probably been close to 20 brand new buildings built on campus. President Qubein has a been a one man juggernaut for High Point University and the city of High Point. His building pace and land acquisition rate have been spectacular. The university originally had options on the near bankrupt High Point mall several blocks up the street from the university. The grand plan was to demolish the mall and add the football stadium in that location.

I may not have the whole story but he was also going to build a new basketball arener on campus too. Qubein is an American immigrant success story and has made quite a bit of money and has some pretty strong connections. Someone slowed him down a couple of years ago and the football stadium and arener were put on hold. This maybe the new master plan to cut back on some cost. He was also President of the Big South Conference for a couple of years too. Davidson should sit down and talk with him because he knows how to raise money.

If you are ever rolling up I 85 take the exit and drive 10 minutes to the campus. The campus looks amazing and they are putting some grade grads out.
citycat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

High Point needs a new basketball arena in the worst way. They play in Millis Arena, the same place they played in the '60s on channel 8 on Friday nights.

The only thing that's changed is their socks. No more vertical stripes.
85Wildcatsky

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

citycat wrote:
High Point needs a new basketball arena in the worst way. They play in Millis Arena, the same place they played in the '60s on channel 8 on Friday nights.

The only thing that's changed is their socks. No more vertical stripes.

Yes, they need the arena for graduation as well. If it rains, there is not enough room for the families. We were lucky and got a great Carolina day. Very Happy
catnhat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some say what HPU is doing is unsustainable. I hope not. They've done in 15 years what Elon did in 40. Elon has become fairly selective. I believe HPU still needs growth so they admit a high percentage.

A couple of the mall "tenants" (I was told Dillard's was one) had leases or ownership interests that meant HPU was unable to negotiate quick exits. It makes sense for an arena and possible FB stadium to be built there with better parking than is available near most schools.
85Wildcatsky

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catnhat wrote:
Some say what HPU is doing is unsustainable. I hope not. They've done in 15 years what Elon did in 40. Elon has become fairly selective. I believe HPU still needs growth so they admit a high percentage.

A couple of the mall "tenants" (I was told Dillard's was one) had leases or ownership interests that meant HPU was unable to negotiate quick exits. It makes sense for an arena and possible FB stadium to be built there with better parking than is available near most schools.

I have heard those same rumblings but I wasn't sure if all the finances were not solid or there was just a lot of jealousy toward Qubein's accomplishments.

Regardless, he is a great leader and gets things done and his attention to detail is amazing. As a parent to a student he offered us a suggestion box email. I shot a few notes out and minor corrections were made prior to my next visit.

His vision was to get the University to the size of Wake Forrest and I think they are pretty close. They will probably bring football to attract more male students.
wildcatspride

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

85Wildcatsky wrote:
I have heard those same rumblings but I wasn't sure if all the finances were not solid or there was just a lot of jealousy toward Qubein's accomplishments.

I don't think the credit ratings agencies take jealousy into consideration.
Davidson shot through the college hoops world in a flash in 2008. But long before it did, its coach poured his life's work into the place. That work is ongoing, and McKillop is as good now as he's ever been.

-- Eamonn Brennan, ESPN
Bill Cobb
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HPU pretty much has no endowment at all. Hand-to-mouth financing. Fortunately they have a prosperous hand.
collegecoach8502

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Cobb wrote:
HPU pretty much has no endowment at all. Hand-to-mouth financing. Fortunately they have a prosperous hand.

That's correct and in order to finance all of their expansion, they have had to continually increase enrollment. In doing so, academic admission standards suffer. Eventually it's going to catch up to them.

In the meantime, I would love for our administration to take a trip to HPU to see what they have done to enhance student life and some of their concepts and changes they have brought to residence life, etc.

"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."
wildcatspride

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

collegecoach8502 wrote:
Bill Cobb wrote:

That's correct and in order to finance all of their expansion, they have had to continually increase enrollment. In doing so, academic admission standards suffer. Eventually it's going to catch up to them.

In the meantime, I would love for our administration to take a trip to HPU to see what they have done to enhance student life and some of their concepts and changes they have brought to residence life, etc.

There's one step missing from all that. They continually have to increase enrollment in order to pay for their debt coverage. Their debt coverage is due to the loans to make the expansion. The increase in enrollment only covers the debt payments, the size of their loans continues to increase. It's not a sustainable model.

I'm not so sure our administration needs to take the trip you suggest. The luxuries that "enhance student life" are the things that require taking all of that debt.
Davidson shot through the college hoops world in a flash in 2008. But long before it did, its coach poured his life's work into the place. That work is ongoing, and McKillop is as good now as he's ever been.

-- Eamonn Brennan, ESPN
collegecoach8502

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildcatspride wrote:
collegecoach8502 wrote:
Bill Cobb wrote:

There's one step missing from all that. They continually have to increase enrollment in order to pay for their debt coverage. Their debt coverage is due to the loans to make the expansion. The increase in enrollment only covers the debt payments, the size of their loans continues to increase. It's not a sustainable model.

I'm not so sure our administration needs to take the trip you suggest. The luxuries that "enhance student life" are the things that require taking all of that debt.

I never knew that getting ideas on how to enhance student life was a bad idea. Whether they are economically feasible is another thing. Their marketing, facilities and enhancements are state of the art. Not arguing that they put the cart before the horse, but being innovative is never a bad thing and our institution would benefit seeing how they work.

"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."
catnhat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildcatspride makes the argument I've heard about HPU for many years. I hope that it is incorrect. I think lenders would shy away from borrowers who only cover the interest, and it doesn't appear HPU can no longer get a loan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Football All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: