DavidsonCats.com Forum Index DavidsonCats.com
Discuss Davidson College Athletics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WCU Chancellor David Belcher

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Non-athletics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesdhogan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: WCU Chancellor David Belcher Reply with quote

If you'll pardon a stretch from official posting guidelines...

WCU's Chancellor, David Belcher, has announced he will take medical leave at the end of the year to continue battling brain cancer. He does not anticipate returning to active duty as the university's chief administrator.

https://news-prod.wcu.edu/2017/11/wcus-chancellor-belcher-announces-plans-go-medical-leave-years-end/

Chancellor Belcher, you might recall, was the subject of the fun gif from the SoCon basketball tourney (found here). Please take me seriously when I say that he multiplied the school's sense of pride and spirit by factors of ten. When I graduated WCU in 2003, many students insisted upon packing up for home on the weekends, and hardly anyone cared about athletics. These days, the valley is a sea of purple, and the stadium has a lot more fans than before. As recently as this fall, he continued the tradition of leading the freshmen class on a run across the football field for the season opener. I watched, not realizing it would most likely be his last as Chancellor.

David is also a friend, one who's been kind enough to send an encouraging notes along my journey in higher ed, one who's been quick to offer a hug or a laugh, one who's never shied away from bouncing my kiddos on his knee at a football game. I am proud of his service to Western, and I wish him the very best as he continues this difficult journey.
davcats92

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sad news. I had the opportunity to meet Chancellor Belcher this summer when I brought a former student to speak with me at the UNC Board of Governors retreat in Asheville. As soon as my student mentioned that he was excited to be joining the WCU Class of '21 you could see the chancellor's eyes light up and they had a long conversation after our presentation. My student was so excited about the energy, and enthusiasm Chancellor Belcher displayed over meeting a single future catamount. He is a fine man, and its a shame that WCU won't have him leading the helm.
stevelee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad news indeed. I recall his cheerleading their bused-in students at our game with them in the tournament his first year (I think it was).

My friend Betty was on the advisory committee of alums relating to the search. She was very enthusiastic about the hire. I know she is grateful for what he has done for the school.
jamesdhogan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David was Tom Ross’s first hire as UNC system president. He picked a good one.
stevelee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betty was much impressed with Tom when they met with him.
citycat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in attendance at the WCU-Davidson game when the Chancellor ran across the field with the freshmen. That was a great event.

I had not been to WCU since the early '80s. The school has grown and campus has new amenities that make it a better place to go to school.

Let's pray the Chancellor receives good news in his battle against this horrible disease.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Non-athletics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: